Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the social life in Kuwait similar to the UAE ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
SaharaDesert wrote:
sheikh radlinrol wrote:
SaharaDesert wrote:
VS- May I ask how many years ago you were in Kuwait ?
Any chance things have changed a little ?

One? At least that´s what she said in her comment one hour before you asked. Confused

One what ? Sorry but I did not understand your point ?

One year. She said she spent a year in Kuwait. You then asked how many years she was in Kuwait. I´m making it simple. You don´t read well, do you? Wink

Oops...thanks for pointing that out.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
SaharaDesert wrote:
sheikh radlinrol wrote:
SaharaDesert wrote:
VS- May I ask how many years ago you were in Kuwait ?
Any chance things have changed a little ?

One? At least that´s what she said in her comment one hour before you asked. Confused

One what ? Sorry but I did not understand your point ?

One year. She said she spent a year in Kuwait. You then asked how many years she was in Kuwait. I´m making it simple. You don´t read well, do you? Wink

Actually, SaharaDesert asked "how many years ago...," as in how long ago was that.
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nomad soul ....I looked at the link again and there seems to be tons to do in Kuwait.

And you are right- I was trying to figure out how many years ago VS had been to Kuwait. Smile

Things can change in a country after a few years....

Last edited by SaharaDesert on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
SaharaDesert wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Check out Nightlife in Kuwait.

Thanks for the link.
I am not a drinker nor am I into nightclubs so that aspect of Kuwait does not bother me.

Then take a look at the "Weekend Activities in Kuwait" link on that same webpage.

SaharaDesert and I could get together and do some Weekend Activities in Kuwait. No drink, of course but we could golf. PM me and I´ll make the VISA arrangements.
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
SaharaDesert wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Check out Nightlife in Kuwait.

Thanks for the link.
I am not a drinker nor am I into nightclubs so that aspect of Kuwait does not bother me.

Then take a look at the "Weekend Activities in Kuwait" link on that same webpage.

SaharaDesert and I could get together and do some Weekend Activities in Kuwait. No drink, of course but we could golf. PM me and I´ll make the VISA arrangements.

You seem a little cynical...
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m very cynical. Apologies for my error. Enjoy the camel market. Laughing
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
I´m very cynical. Apologies for my error. Enjoy the camel market. Laughing

Rolling Eyes
I happen to love camels....To each his own..... Wink
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaharaDesert wrote:
I was trying to figure out how many years ago VS had been to Kuwait. Smile

It's been some time since VS retired. I believe she returned to the US for good about 15 years ago.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaharaDesert wrote:
Thanks nomad soul ....I looked at the link again and there seems to be tons to do in Kuwait.

And you are right- I was trying to figure out how many years ago VS had been to Kuwait. Smile

I was there eons ago. Laughing But no one with more detailed current information seemed to be appearing. (and still hasn't)

Things don't change all that much in the Gulf from what I have seen. I've been on this board now since it began back in '95 or '96. (Scot47 and JohnSlat were here too) By this I mean the complaints don't change much and the things I commented on would be things that can't or won't change. It will always be a bit shabby compared to the UAE and the waters are polluted by the oil business of all the countries that converge in this part of the Gulf.

I have friends who loved their time in Kuwait, but it was a reflection of having a good job/employer and a group of good friends. More of my friends didn't much like it there either. But there will probably be someone like the Sheikh around to provide the gallows humor. Cool

VS
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
More of my friends didn't much like it there either. But there will probably be someone like the Sheikh around to provide the gallows humor. Cool

VS

Gallows humour? I´ll have you know, Madam, that I´ve done two stints in Kuwait. I´ll never forget the first time I touched down in the Emirate. The drabness is overwhelming but you get used to it. Smile Nevertheless, I´d say it´s not a bad little place to live. I have good memories but, like you, wouldn´t really want to return.
mashkif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I was there until a year ago and can't wait to go back.

If the boozing and clubbing ain't your thing, you're golden. You can socialize in restaurants, in malls, in the sea, in the desert; hell, even in the air. If you manage to form bonds with Kuwaitis--and you probably will--, you'll more than likely be invited to a private home, followed by a diwaniya.

I don't know what kind of a "social life" you're into, but so long as it's not something really wild or exotic (and, in many cases, even if it is), Kuwait's got you covered.

I lived in four other 5aleeji states (not the U.A.E., though I visited it several times), and Kuwait is hands-down my favorite.
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mashkif wrote:
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I was there until a year ago and can't wait to go back.

If the boozing and clubbing ain't your thing, you're golden. You can socialize in restaurants, in malls, in the sea, in the desert; hell, even in the air. If you manage to form bonds with Kuwaitis--and you probably will--, you'll more than likely be invited to a private home, followed by a diwaniya.

I don't know what kind of a "social life" you're into, but so long as it's not something really wild or exotic (and, in many cases, even if it is), Kuwait's got you covered.

I lived in four other 5aleeji states (not the U.A.E., though I visited it several times), and Kuwait is hands-down my favorite.

Good to know that there are things to do in Kuwait.
I am not into boozing and clubbing. Been there, done that.
Have PMd you, if that is okay ?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: I've lived in both in the past 5 years Reply with quote

Kuwait was really similar to Saudi for me except that women wore more colourful garb and the shops didn't shut at prayer time. For me, a man, it was as dull as dishwater but I know some women who have enjoyed it there. The consensus among my colleagues was that there was nothing to do. The beaches sucked, the restaurants weren't all that and it was simply boring. Kuwaitis of course, enjoyed their chalet parties, which I've heard were/are wild. I only went there during a break in my normal job.

The UAE is a much nicer place to live. The Emiratis are much more chilled out, the beaches are excellent, there's a lot to see and the country is pretty varied in terms of how it looks. If you are a straight single man, it's not all doom and gloom either as there are plenty of places to go and clubs to join. Internations is a good place to start. It's a really tolerant, open place.

Comparing these 2 countries is like comparing chalk and cheese. The UAE wins hands down, by a country mile and any other cliché I can't think of right now.

Doha is pretty nice too.

PM me if you want.
neftoprestupnik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A place is what you make it, right?

I've been in Kuwait for 2 years now. It's much harder to get a driver's license than it was in the past - thankfully I got one, but only after an 8 month wait and with some serious wasta. So if you're like me and you live in a shithole like Mangaf without a car, you need to taxi it anytime you want to go out (few places to walk to - it's the gulf after all).

Do you like malls? Restaurants/cafes? Kuwait has a nice aquarium and scientific center, a few nice museums, some good boardwalk-type places that aren't terribly polluted. I've gone swimming in the gulf down south, about 50km away from the city in secluded areas. Kuwaitis have invited me to go camping in the Jahra "mountain" area, that was cool. If you want to booze, you can buy homemade; a former colleague had friends in the US embassy and used to buy for me when I asked, but you have to work for a connection like that, I suppose. Wink

I could list some bad things too, but let's just focus on the good for now.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Mangaf. What a place! Daily trips to the Sultan Centre and the odd stroll down into Fahaheel for a Starbucks by the little marina. We used to go up to Salmiya. Sideeki, the gym we joined and poker kept us sane.

Re the OP, I'd say that if you have a choice and can choose, go and live in Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Fujairah. Way, way nicer people in the UAE. However, I might add that I just went to Kuwait for 8 months while still employed by a Libyan oil company and had a crap job at TQLS for the war's duration.

TQLS! Are they still going? The biggest percentage of total weirdos and nasty fecks I've ever come across. Just thinking of that job and the trainees makes me shudder. We had an America lady with tourettes, an American guy with tourettes, a weird backstabbing Canadian woman who wrote a poem which went something like 'When I was swimming in the Arabian see a creature bit me on the knee',who shafted everyone. Several colleagues who were so mean they nicked everything from the tea hut until we were all barred from going in there. An Irishman who couldn't even open a coursebook cos he was so useless and a weird American called Derrin or Delwyn or summit daft who clearly had shady practices and stalked around the place. Yer man from Stoke, his wife and the New Yorker ML kept me sane. Haven't seen so many nutters in one place since QP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: