Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capitol Hill Shooting ....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say what that rate is, apparently:

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/1993/09/20/japan-00002/

Regards,
John
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
What's the murder rate for Japanese-Americans? They have the same access to guns as all other American citizens. They must be a murderous lot. Wink

Definitely, American-American ( Laughing ) citizens are more amenable to gun crime than Japanese-Americans.
Psychologically and biologically speaking, it seems some Americans hold a gene in their DNA called the "evil gene" which make them to commit a crime with a high probability than normal Americans who do not possess this evil gene.
If you disagree with me, then ask the neuroscientists. Smile
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9968753/Studying-Adam-Lanza-is-evil-in-our-genes.html
steki47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:
steki47 wrote:
What's the murder rate for Japanese-Americans? They have the same access to guns as all other American citizens. They must be a murderous lot. Wink

Definitely, American-American ( Laughing ) citizens are more amenable to gun crime than Japanese-Americans.
Psychologically and biologically speaking, it seems some Americans hold a gene in their DNA called the "evil gene" which make them to commit a crime with a high probability than normal Americans who do not possess this evil gene.
If you disagree with me, then ask the neuroscientists. Smile
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9968753/Studying-Adam-Lanza-is-evil-in-our-genes.html

Nice link. Thank you. It referenced the MAO-A gene which has a correlation with aggression and violence. And not evenly distributed among humans. Interesting stuff.
steki47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:

Some Americans indeed.

Quote:
A third study determined that 0.5% of white MAOA genes and 4.7% of African-American MAOA genes feature this 2-repeat allele—almost a tenfold difference.

Good links to research here:
http://takimag.com/article/the_thug_gene/print

Not only Americans:
http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectacle/2006/08/10/the-maori-mao-inhibitors-and-t/

Quote:
genetic epidemiologist Rod Lea recently presented research in Australia that Maori men were twice as likely to carry monoamine oxidase than European men, describing it as “the warrior gene.”

Quote:
“New Zealand’s indigenous Maori population reacted angrily on Wednesday to a researcher’s findings that Maori have a high representation of a gene linked to aggression, as the nation faces a domestic violence crisis.”

Hee hee
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear Phil_K,

Please try to avoid those generalizations. I swear AT the 2nd amendment - or rather the common misinterpretation of it.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/opinion/2013/02/12/a-grammar-lesson-for-gun-nuts-second-amendment-does-not-guarantee-gun-rights/33796/

Regards,
John

So, a brit points out the ablative should be what. No person or persons are secure unless they can defend. Ask the Iraqis how not being armed worked. We could also ask the Palistinians.

Essentially, you take that meaning, we lose all rights, or take the ablative you give.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, let's all go buy a gun. I'd feel much safer then.

I'd show those kids with knives who's boss.

What do mean they'll have guns too?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear wnagdaning,

"No person or persons are secure unless they can defend."

Glad I don't live in your world. I haven't had a firearm since 1967, my government-issued M-14.

In the almost 50 years since then, I've neither had nor felt any need to have a firearm to "defend" myself.

Of course, I have no objection to those who do feel such a need. As far as I'm concerned, you have have as many firearms as yiu think you need and can afford.

But what I what are some sensible controls - you, know,just to make as sure as possible that raging loonies and terrorists can't just go to the local gun-show and pick up an arsenal - not in place now.

1. Universal background checks with NO loopholes

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-gun-loophole-20150722-story.html

2. mandatory firearm training

3. mandatory insurance for firearm owners (after all, car owners are required to have it - and killing/maiming isn't even the primary purpose of having a car.)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/08/opinions/yang-gun-violence/

And death by firearm is set to surpass deaths caused by car sometime this year. In 2015, deaths by firearms caught up.

December, 2015: For the first time in more than 60 years, firearms and automobiles are killing Americans at an identical rate, according to new mortality data released this month by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In 2014, the age-adjusted death rate for both firearms (including homicides, suicides and accidental deaths) and motor vehicle events (car crashes, collisions between cars and pedestrians, etc) stood at 10.3 deaths per 100,000 people.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/01/americas-top-killing-machine/384440/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/17/guns-are-now-killing-as-many-people-as-cars-in-the-u-s/

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I be twice as safe if I buy TWO guns ?
gregory999

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Will I be twice as safe if I buy TWO guns ?

No, scotty, you will not be safe in Scotland with TWO guns, you are 7 times more likely to be attacked in Scotland than any other country in the world!

You need to buy a Bazooka if you want to be safe in Scotland. Laughing

UN figures say you're seven times more likely to be attacked here than any other country in the world - but the Scottish Government is unhappy with the judgement
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scotland-assault-capital-world-according-6391138#DoeeTXyro2IyhueI.99

You will miss the safety and paradise of the Magic Kingdom. Very Happy
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A firearm is one way to defend yourself, your possessions, and your family. That you feel no need for one is only relevant to you. Where I grew up everyone had guns in the house, remember going to a friends house and pulling something out of the couch, oh god, it was a rifle. We knew what guns were and what they could do, so I put it back. The problem with gun laws is that they are laws. They target people who obey the law. Most violence is committed by people who do not obey the law (be it an individual or a country).

Why not ban guns all around. Your money is safe in the bank, right? Everyone follows the law to not have guns, so nobody will have one. We might as well lay off all the security too, everyone is great and we all follow the law.

Maybe you are lucky John (my first name too by the way), but sometimes people do break into other people's houses. A gun will make people get out, even if you don't shoot. A gun in a criminals hands, and you unarmed, what happens then?
gregory999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
Where I grew up everyone had guns in the house, remember going to a friends house and pulling something out of the couch, oh god, it was a rifle.

You must be a Republican. Laughing
Republicans are twice as likely as Democrats to be members of a gun-owning household. Political independents also are more likely than Democrats to have a firearm in their homes.
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/posting.php?mode=quote&p=1241280&sid=75f489c9ab7ced7e88764f6d7efd580d

This is the culture of cowboys, where each cowboy has a gun, and the fastest one will win over his enemy! Disaster!

Quote:
Why not ban guns all around. Your money is safe in the bank, right? Everyone follows the law to not have guns, so nobody will have one. We might as well lay off all the security too, everyone is great and we all follow the law.
Maybe you are lucky John (my first name too by the way), but sometimes people do break into other people's houses. A gun will make people get out, even if you don't shoot. A gun in a criminals hands, and you unarmed, what happens then?

Your logic does not hold, just look at the statistics about gun-crimes in the USA and compare it with other peaceful countries.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
remember going to a friends house and pulling something out of the couch, oh god, it was a rifle.

This is hilarious. I can laugh, though, because of the Atlantic Ocean between me and such people. I admit to losing a few coins down the sofa now and then, but I've yet to find any high velocity killing machines between my cushions.

If they're so careless leaving guns around, what's to say the rifle wasn't loaded with safety catch off? You might have got an even bigger surprise, or you might've done the world a favour. I'd be furious beyond words if a so-called friend invited me to a place with discarded weapons under cushions. And as for a rifle, inside the house?
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I must be a Republican. Come on, another poster talked about demographics. You think it is a joke? Live in a large city with a huge population illegally holding a weapon versus a small town where the majority legally have weapons. Which place will have more crime per capita?

I lived in Oakland before coming to China, it was and is a place you would want to move away from. Saying that, I would not be afraid of people legally having a weapon, I would be afraid of those who illegally have weapons.

Guns are banned here, I do not have one. What is legal here is big knifes, and they get used. The government also has the privilege of holding guns. I have had a gun pointed at me more times in China than in the US. I had an automatic rifle pointed right at my head, why?

I doubt people in power would use force so easily if they knew people wouldn't take it.

If you really want to compare, look at other places with illegal firearms. Maybe Mexico?
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:

You will miss the safety and paradise of the Magic Kingdom. Very Happy

In KSA my safety was guaranteed by a group of National Guardsmen and a huge, ugly gun just inside our compound. It gave me the creeps every time I went by it. Shocked
steki47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
If you really want to compare, look at other places with illegal firearms. Maybe Mexico?

The murder rate in Mexico 3x that of the US. With strict gun control laws, mind you.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Mexico/United-States/Crime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: