Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 week CELTA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argofoto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: 3 week CELTA Reply with quote

I know that at 4 weeks, the CELTA is intensive enough from what I've read. I'm wondering if there are possiblities to take this for 3 weeks. The reason being with my current job, I could take up to 3 weeks vacation, perhaps a few days more, but 4 weeks would be a real stretch.

So, is there anywhere in the world it can be done at 3 weeks, if not 3.5 weeks?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd. Most sensible people ask for 5 weeks. It would kill almost anyone at 3.

In any case, never heard of such a short course.

Have you considered taking a CELTA in the country/place where you want to start working? It can be a very useful bridge into a country/region/culture/job market.

Where are you and where do you want to teach? Both questions are highly relevant in this case.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 week CELTA Reply with quote

Argofoto wrote:
I know that at 4 weeks, the CELTA is intensive enough from what I've read. I'm wondering if there are possiblities to take this for 3 weeks. The reason being with my current job, I could take up to 3 weeks vacation, perhaps a few days more, but 4 weeks would be a real stretch.

You wrote about getting a CELTA more than four years ago. It's too bad you didn't complete it then.

What country are you aiming for? Some countries/employers are fine with a 100-hour TEFL course. However, if you really want to boost your chances, then do the CELTA in your desired country, as Spiral suggested.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or see if it's available locally part time. Some places do it on evenings and weekends over an extended period.
Argofoto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and sorry for taking so long to reply.

Yes, I would have to find an evening course unless I can get a 4 week vacation. I'm in Philadelphia, USA, hopefully there is an evening course here but last I checked (which was a while ago), there wasn't one. I'm looking now into doing it in Czech since I have a special someone there and will be visiting her again in the summer in Moravia (but would take CELTA at a different date). Though professionally I would prefer to work in Latin America. I'm a native born US citizen but I'm getting, via parents, my Romanian citizenship so working in Czech would in theory be possible, though the language is ten times harder than learning Spanish (I'm also fluent in Romanian), not to mention from checking the forums here, the market is tough as nails to break into for just a language school (and impossible for public schools).

I'm wondering how long in general it can take to get an offer while doing the CELTA, if one would have time to pursue that while studying. Also, what how much time would there be from when the job would start. I would like to take the course 3 months or so before a hiring season. Theoretically I would like to use the time waiting, for the position to start, to continue working at my current job, saving up money and such.

I did post a few times over the past years but I decided to wait on pulling the trigger until I paid off my college loans. I did that, and just have a few credit cards to pay off which should be done soon. Also I was looking at other options, such as TEFL in Peace Corps in Moldova, or a Master's in TEFL in Puerto Rico but both are long-term commitments and I'm not entirely sure if it would work out. I'm a volunteer tutor at a local library program working one-on-one with immigrants, occasionally working with books and lesson plans, but mostly conversation work. So a transition to a classroom spooks me a little. Hence the desire to take the course during a job vacation...

Sorry for the lengthy reply! Thanks again for the help, and it's nice to see familiar people on the forums here! If you could start anywhere at an entry level, where would you go?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argofoto wrote:
I'm a volunteer tutor at a local library program working one-on-one with immigrants, occasionally working with books and lesson plans, but mostly conversation work. So a transition to a classroom spooks me a little.

To get some classroom teaching exposure, consider taking on a role as a volunteer classroom assistant/in-class tutor at one of your local nonprofit refugee/ESL literacy organizations. This would allow you to work alongside a seasoned classroom teacher with opportunities to lead some of the class activities.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching House offers the blended CELTA in the USA. You do your taught input sessions online over an extended period, and then go to a centre for 2 weeks for the assessed teaching practice.

http://www.teachinghouse.com/celta-online

In terms of getting work, obviously it depends when and where you are. When I did my CELTA in Ecuador a few years ago, there were 12 of us on the course, 8 stayed in Ecuador and we were all working within a couple of weeks. As far as I know, that's still pretty standard here, as long as you are willing to move where the work is.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Teaching House offers the blended CELTA in the USA. You do your taught input sessions online over an extended period, and then go to a centre for 2 weeks for the assessed teaching practice.

Be ready to fork over some major bucks; that Teaching House CELTA online course costs a whopping $2945. Ouch.
Argofoto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yes this online option is new to me. In the US it is expensive ($3,000!) but I am finding options for other countries (Brazil is $1,100). Having 2 weeks in person is perfect. It seems that the certificate is the same as the 4 week intensive, with no indication of part of it being online (which if it did I would stay away). I'm just wondering what the difference in exposure would be to the local job market. It just seems too good to be true...

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at refugee/ESL organizations, though the only thing is I have no formal qualifications (a B.S. in int'l business) and I have the feeling volunteers are a dime a dozen here...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argofoto wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at refugee/ESL organizations, though the only thing is I have no formal qualifications (a B.S. in int'l business) and I have the feeling volunteers are a dime a dozen here...

Volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, so don't worry about the relevance of your degree major. In fact, I in-home tutored an Ethiopian refugee and taught an ESL citizenship class (on my own) as a volunteer way before returning to university to get a teaching degree.

There's not likely to be a glut of ESL volunteers in your city. Start calling some of your local organizations and your state's education department for volunteer opportunities. Ask to observe classes before deciding which organization to devote some of your time to.
Argofoto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Argofoto wrote:

Volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, so don't worry about the relevance of your degree major. In fact, I in-home tutored an Ethiopian refugee and taught an ESL citizenship class (on my own) as a volunteer way before returning to university to get a teaching degree.

There's not likely to be a glut of ESL volunteers in your city. Start calling some of your local organizations and your state's education department for volunteer opportunities. Ask to observe classes before deciding which organization to devote some of your time to.

That's awesome! Thanks for the tip, I just recently met someone who works locally with refugees and it just skipped my mind until you mentioned it!
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA is obviously the gold standard, but it doesn't seem to be available as a three week course.

I've noticed that Thailand has a number of companies offering 120 hour TEFL courses in three weeks, probably due to visa requirements. If you google you'll find quite a few. (I've also come across one course in Bali.) Some of them focus on teaching young learners.

These less well-known courses probably won't be acceptable to every language school, especially outside of Asia, but how important that is depends on where you plan to teach, I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: