Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AUK - IEP: co-ed classes or gender segregated?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
indirect.object

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: AUK - IEP: co-ed classes or gender segregated? Reply with quote

I couldn't figure it out with certainty from their Web site, although one can infer the classes are segregated. Does anybody know?

It seems maybe VS works there.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find this personal write-up from a visiting Dartmouth student rather descriptive.

I've never worked in Kuwait, but in other Mid East countries I've taught in, in which there were coed classrooms, the students would often segregate themselves --- boys on one side of the room, girls on the other. Sometimes that was temporary. That said, I've also taught in programs with older, degreed students who had no qualms about learning alongside someone of the opposite sex.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "prehistoric" time in Kuwait was at Kuwait University and it was back when most classes were sexually integrated. But after more religious types took over the Kuwaiti government, KU re-segregated. I thought AUK had started out integrated, but it appears that it too segregated by the time this young man from Dartmouth showed up.

VS
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
My "prehistoric" time in Kuwait was at Kuwait University and it was back when most classes were sexually integrated. But after more religious types took over the Kuwaiti government, KU re-segregated. I thought AUK had started out integrated, but it appears that it too segregated by the time this young man from Dartmouth showed up.

VS

Interesting comment. When I was in Kuwait, I met a Polish woman who told me that her young female colleagues, who wore headscarves, remembered their mothers with heads uncovered and short skirts. Progress in these countries sometimes goes the other way, at least by our standards.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the department where I taught, only one of the students wore an abaya and a small minority wore hijab. They mostly dressed like US students... perhaps a bit more up-market. But they were pre-med. The boys wore jeans... or sweats...

I expect that it changed later, but perhaps not. Med students are usually well traveled and went to International Schools.

This new conservatism happened all over the Muslim world. When I arrived in Egypt in '85, only about 30% of the women wore hijab. By the time I left in '88, it was past 70%. Of the 30% about half were Christian and the other half were highly educated professional Muslim women over 50 years of age... the generation who had thrown off the veil... and then watched their granddaughters put it back on.

VS
mashkif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AUK - IEP: co-ed classes or gender segregated? Reply with quote

indirect.object wrote:
I couldn't figure it out with certainty from their Web site, although one can infer the classes are segregated. Does anybody know?

It seems maybe VS works there.

Classes are fully desegregated in all academic programs. I think it's safe to assume that to be the case in the I.E.P., too.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... they started out integrated...

Were segregated in 2010... (see linked article above)

And have now integrated again?

Too bad we don't have anyone who actually teaches there.

VS
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: AUK - IEP: co-ed classes or gender segregated? Reply with quote

indirect.object wrote:

Well, from their website and the 2nd video in the link below, the university is an integrated environment from classroom to the sport facilities.
http://www.auk.edu.kw/about_auk/about_auk_video.jsp

It looks like Kuwait is the 51st state of the USA since 1990, everything must be protected and integrated! Laughing
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
Interesting comment. When I was in Kuwait, I met a Polish woman who told me that her young female colleagues, who wore headscarves, remembered their mothers with heads uncovered and short skirts. Progress in these countries sometimes goes the other way, at least by our standards.

No, progress in these countries goes in the correct direction, the direction of the original status of their culture.
The West has spoiled the natural way of the tribe tradition and culture of the region by their McDonald and Mickey Mouse culture! Laughing
At least, this is what a Kuwaiti friend told me about the change of culture in his country. .
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
So... they started out integrated...

Were segregated in 2010... (see linked article above)

And have now integrated again?

Too bad we don't have anyone who actually teaches there.

I'm curious why the OP asked --- if it mattered one way or the other in terms of teaching there. Anyway, if the OP has been hired by AUK, that's a question to pose to his/her contact at the university.
indirect.object

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, all, for responding - appreciate the relevant information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: