Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tesol vs teaching license

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lion101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: tesol vs teaching license Reply with quote

I really want to move abroad, specifically the mideast due to me being muslim. I just graduated with a ba in business and am contemplating whether to get an ma in tesol or get an ma in education with an emphasis in tesol with k-12 teaching license. what do you guys think is more valuable specifically in the mideast. also which career path has easier and more flexible jobs?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean by "easier" jobs, but forget about a TESOL-related degree or emphasis; it will limit you to just TESOL openings in the region.

For more versatility and opportunities, go for an MA or MAT in either Elementary Education or Early Childhood Education (completed entirely on campus). Once you have your state elementary teaching license and a couple of years of US public school experience under your belt, you'll be in the best position to compete for the better teaching (and paying) openings throughout the GCC in both western-accredited and top US-curriculum private international schools.

Another option is to major in one of the STEM subjects and subsequently, get licensed, gain a couple of years of US experience, and then head overseas.

It will take a huge commitment on your part. Don't cut corners simply because you're antsy to go to the Gulf --- that strategy will put you at a disadvantage.
lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the informative response. If you don't mind me asking, do you have an ma in education? if so in what? also, what country are you currently working in and what are the k-12 teacher salary's there? also if you could tell me what other countries you have worked in and how there salary's were?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lion101 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, do you have an ma in education? if so in what? also, what country are you currently working in and what are the k-12 teacher salary's there? also if you could tell me what other countries you have worked in and how there salary's were?

I have an MA in Teaching (MAT) with an emphasis in TEFL. A MAT focuses on the practice of teaching and generally leads to primary or secondary licensure if the teacher doesn't already hold a license. I chose to focus on teaching in higher education and gained all of my teaching experience in the Mid East. I also recently completed a Master of Educational Technology. Whatever degree major you choose, I suggest taking adding a few ed tech courses (e.g., graphic design (Adobe Photoshop), instructional design, desktop publishing (Adobe InDesign), web authoring (HTML/CSS), etc.); it will make you more versatile in western-curriculum international schools that promote technology for teaching and learning.

I no longer teach, but since you're interested in k-12, take a look at Teach Away's site, which focuses on international and public schools around the world including the Mid East.
lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the programs that I was looking at was an mat with TESOL emphasis. I wanted to ask you if TESOl employers looked at your degree the same way that they would look at an ma in TESOL. For example a job post says that they require an ma in TESOl, would your qualification be accepted for that?also have you taught TESOL or just k-?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated, I've never taught k-12. My experience was with adults in university English language programs. I've also been a teacher trainer.

Look at actual job ads for the Gulf; you'll see that employers primarily state a "TEFL-related" degree rather than one specific major. I suggest you also check out What do you look for in a BA or MA degree program?.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: tesol vs teaching license Reply with quote

lion101 wrote:
I really want to move abroad, specifically the mideast due to me being muslim. I just graduated with a ba in business and am contemplating whether to get an ma in tesol or get an ma in education with an emphasis in tesol with k-12 teaching license. what do you guys think is more valuable specifically in the mideast. also which career path has easier and more flexible jobs?

You are aware that the largest Muslim populations are not in the middle east?

A valid teacher's license from home coupled with 2+ years of classroom experience will keep you going globally without much issue in either primary or secondary schools.

As to spending the cash for an MATESOL... what do you want to do when you grow up and get long pants?

(simplistic overview)
Classroom teacher = licensure.
University guest lecturer = MATESOL.
Professor or researcher - PhD in a related field.

What do you want to teach?
EFL in language centers = BA + TEFL cert.
EFL in mainstream schools = licensure + TEFL specialization.
TEFL (teaching how to teach EFL) = MATESOL, M.Ed TEFL, M.Applied linguistics, leading to PhD.

IF your only goal is to teach and travel then a BA + CELTA and get your feet wet before you go $50k in the hole (out of pocket + opportunity costs) for extensive post-grad credentials.

lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: tesol vs teaching license Reply with quote

Good point, do you mind if I ask if you have taught esl and if you have than where?

suphanburi wrote:
lion101 wrote:

You are aware that the largest Muslim populations are not in the middle east?

A valid teacher's license from home coupled with 2+ years of classroom experience will keep you going globally without much issue in either primary or secondary schools.

As to spending the cash for an MATESOL... what do you want to do when you grow up and get long pants?

(simplistic overview)
Classroom teacher = licensure.
University guest lecturer = MATESOL.
Professor or researcher - PhD in a related field.

What do you want to teach?
EFL in language centers = BA + TEFL cert.
EFL in mainstream schools = licensure + TEFL specialization.
TEFL (teaching how to teach EFL) = MATESOL, M.Ed TEFL, M.Applied linguistics, leading to PhD.

IF your only goal is to teach and travel then a BA + CELTA and get your feet wet before you go $50k in the hole (out of pocket + opportunity costs) for extensive post-grad credentials.

lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and also to answer your question, I was thinking about using the ma in TESOL to get a university job in the gulf. I heard they pay very well and also offer really good benefits. I was thinking if I got a job with a university and stayed with them for the long term than maybe they would increase the pay and offer longer contracts?
lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's awesome was the teacher trainer job a good paying job? Did you get that job partly due to your ma?

nomad soul wrote:
As I stated, I've never taught k-12. My experience was with adults in university English language programs. I've also been a teacher trainer.

Look at actual job ads for the Gulf; you'll see that employers primarily state a "TEFL-related" degree rather than one specific major. I suggest you also check out What do you look for in a BA or MA degree program?.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lion101 wrote:
that's awesome was the teacher trainer job a good paying job? Did you get that job partly due to your ma?

Seriously? I suggest you focus on getting your supposed MA first.
lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol your right, thanks again for all of the help

nomad soul wrote:
lion101 wrote:

Seriously? I suggest you focus on getting your supposed MA first.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: tesol vs teaching license Reply with quote

lion101 wrote:
Good point, do you mind if I ask if you have taught esl and if you have than where?

I have never taught ESL (English as a Second Language).

I have taught EFL & EIL for the last 16 years in a number of countries in east and southeast Asia.

I have also worked in K-12 schools (as a teacher and as an administrator), lectured in universities, done research (published), presented and have been a guest speaker at multiple international TEFL/TESOL conferences.

I missed Baltimore this year (April 5-8 ) but will be speaking in Brunei in May, Vladivostok at the end of June and Penang in July.

I have also taught TEFL and TESOL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: