Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I sign on the dole in Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Can I sign on the dole in Italy Reply with quote

I am working in Italy on a collaboration contract so I only get paid for the days or even hours worked. The company I am working for close down during July and August so I won't be paid for 10 weeks. I still need to find the money to pay the rent on the studio apartment and for food etc. I will have been working for approximately 3 months by the time July arrives.

Is this enough time to qualify me to claim unemployment benefit for 10 weeks? If so, do you just get money for food or can you claim housing benefit as well like in the UK? I'm trying to find seasonal work so I don't have to sign on but if I can't find it, I may have to tell the landlord that I can't pay him for 10 weeks and see what he says.I think in Italy unemployment benefit is called disoccupanzia or something like that.
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: o Reply with quote

By the way, I've tried contacting the unemployment office in my local city but have received no reply so I assume they don't speak English and can't be bothered to reply. Mad
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unemployment benefit is called ' indennita disoccupazione'.

To qualify for ordinary benefit, indennita ordinaria, you must have worked for at least a year and contributed for at least the previous 2 years. Benefit is calculated at 30 per cent of your average earnings during the previous 3 months.

As you don't speak Italian, you could check out

www.justlanded.com/english/Italy/Italy-Guide/Jobs/Unemployment
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link doesn't work. I read on the daily Telegraph that it's a 3 month qualifying period to claim unemployment benefit not one year. Here's the link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/10391238/Benefits-in-Europe-country-by-country.html

If it's a year then I can't apply. It doesn't make sense saying the qualifying period is a year but you haveto have paid contributions in the previous 2 years as that means you would have had to have been working for 3 years.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why the link doesn't work as I accessed it this morning.

The Italian government reformed the system of unemployment benefits in March 2015, linking payments more closely to contributions.

I suggest you search on Google where the latest changes can be found under the EU Eurofound website.
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: o Reply with quote

I think I've found the job centre's website. There is a link to online servizi so whether that means you can apply online for benefit, I don't know.
https://www.inps.it/portale/default.aspx?itemdir=8292
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not you get unemployment benefit might also depend on the type of contract you have. If it's for a limited, temporary period, ending in June, say; then you might not be entitled to anything. You could also go to the CGIL office in town to find out (take an Italian speaker with you!) or a consulente di lavoro (you might have to pay for a appointment).
izmigari

Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If so, do you just get money for food or can you claim housing benefit as well like in the UK?

Figures! Sure, come over from an island that won't use the Euro to sponge off those who do!

Nice move.
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sponging though. I was working in Italy full time. I just needed money for 2 months as there was no holiday pay in the contract. It's normal therefore for UK and European people to sign on the dole as this is allowed (in the uK anyway) when you're not working. It's not sponging. Spongers are families with 10 kids who live all their lives on the dole in the UK claiming £25000 PLUS 4 bed room houses paid for by the government. It's not worth them looking for a job as they are better off on the dole. That's a sponger IMO.

I was also looking for other kinds of temporary work for 2 months in Italy. Definitely not a sponger (I've had my moments though Laughing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: