Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you hire an attorney to get your final payment in Qatar?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Did you hire an attorney to get your final payment in Qatar? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone who has worked in Qatar has used an attorney to assist in collecting money from their previous employer.

(Yes, I have already exhausted the attorney list provided by the UK and US embassies located in Doha. )

(Please forgive me if I am not yet an expert on collecting lost wages.)

(Yes, I do realize that the labor board will be my first stop.)

(No, I am no longer living in Qatar.)

(Yes, it is a governmental institution, not a private one.)
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to tell you. Unless Qatar is radically different than Saudi Arabia, I don't think it is, you should cut your losses. I have some experience with this in Saudi Arabia.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiss it good-by. I've never heard of anyone succeeding in collecting final pay after departing any of the Gulf countries...

VS
(one exception was when the case was with dozens of teachers at one employer in the UAE where half of them stayed in country in other jobs - or on spousal job visa and were able to collect for all)
kellygreen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been one person who has supposedly been awarded his gratuity by local courts. But to my knowledge he hasn't received it. As VS said, this person is in country. This is a CNAQ person. A more pointed question might be if CNA is charging the state for pension contributions that employees are not receiving (ie non resident employees) and adding that into the management fees charged to the state. I have no idea if this is the case except for the fact this person is non-resident and is not eligible for a Canadian pension
He's not like the retired NL people who are not eligible to work in NL but can work as contract employees overseas and thus double dip legally. Too bad for him. Wonder how that works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: