Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunities in Asia for a non-native speaker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
With a TOEFL/IELTS (don't know what score you need ) and a degree you could work legally in Thailand.

IELTS - 5.5
TOEIC - 600
TOEFL - depends on which version of the test you take.
Shanghai Noon

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronamix wrote:
Quote:
Many provinces in China now require that applicants be educated in native English speaking countries.

Which provinces exactly?

I know Shanghai does for English teachers, but I can't speak for any others. Some schools in Shanghai can get around this by classifying their teachers as subject teachers, but they need an education license that states which subjects they can offer. I have never known a school in China to offer philosophy.
sourplumjam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that I just left a job in Kazakhstan where one of the English teachers was Italian. The company actually had a Dutch teacher on staff prior. (I do not recommend working for that particular company, though - it's a horrible environment.)

So, clearly, being a non-native speaker with a non-Anglophone passport doesn't automatically exclude you from most destinations. Also, it's not as if Kazakhstan is a particularly popular destination with the English-teaching crowd. There's a bit of an correlation relationship with this... the less popular the region is, the less likely they are to be picky about passport color.

I do very strongly recommend you get a CELTA, though. Even for native speakers it does help, particularly if you have no prior experience. What the CELTA does is give your potential employer a guarantee that you at least have stepped foot in an English classroom at some point in your life, and it also tells them that you have been exposed to a popularly-accepted methodology. I do see that you have some sort of TEFL certification as it is, but CELTA is basically considered the gold standard of TEFL certs, for better or worse. Again, being a non-native speaker is going to work against you as it is. As other posters suggested, you need to pump your resume as much as possible.

Beyond this, I am pretty sure that South Korea actually does require its English teachers to come from English-language-primary countries. (I have not worked there myself, but that fact sticks in my head.) In other places... well, it generally just depends on how badly they need somebody/if you look like you'll fit their needs.

Basically, I would say that you would have a high chance of trumping a native English speaker with no bachelor's and no CELTA. I would say your chances are medium against a NES with a bachelor's and no CELTA. Once a NES appears with a bachelor's and a CELTA, though, your chances go down.

What I would recommend is looking in less-popular areas for your first job - the pickings will be slimmer there and you will look more attractive to potential employers. Once you get some good references going and have experience, you can start edging your way into more popular markets. [/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: