Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National University of Singapore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coffeespoonman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: National University of Singapore Reply with quote

Hi all,

Anyone have any information about conditions at the English Language Centre at the National University of Singapore? I know it's a great university, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about what it's like to work in CELC? Conditions, salary, benefits? Anything at all? It's very hard to find any information about them.

Much appreciated!

CSM
coffeespoonman

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Nothing? Reply with quote

No info at all? I've now had a Skype interview and sent them a demo lesson. After a month of hearing nothing, I followed up and received an invitation to come for a second interview in person.

And teach a demo lesson.

And give a conference-style paper presentation.

I appreciate that they take employment very seriously and that they have a lot of leverage as their institution is extremely highly rated; however, I've still heard nothing about contract terms, and when I asked for any information about typical salary, benefits, etc, I was told that we will discuss that after my interview.

Now, I've got a good thing going here in China already, and I'm not falling all over myself to move to Singapore, but it would be nice to have a change and to get into a world-class university, and I'm pretty fed up with the air here...

So, I ask again, does anyone have any information about them that they can share?

Anything at all?
danshengou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Nothing? Reply with quote

coffeespoonman wrote:
No info at all? I've now had a Skype interview and sent them a demo lesson. After a month of hearing nothing, I followed up and received an invitation to come for a second interview in person.

And teach a demo lesson.

And give a conference-style paper presentation.

I appreciate that they take employment very seriously and that they have a lot of leverage as their institution is extremely highly rated; however, I've still heard nothing about contract terms, and when I asked for any information about typical salary, benefits, etc, I was told that we will discuss that after my interview.

Now, I've got a good thing going here in China already, and I'm not falling all over myself to move to Singapore, but it would be nice to have a change and to get into a world-class university, and I'm pretty fed up with the air here...

So, I ask again, does anyone have any information about them that they can share?

Anything at all?

Was this for a tenure-track professorship? Otherwise, it seems like too many hoops and too risky, especially given how good universities tend to rely on their reputations to attract talent and then like to offer mediocre contract terms. Add to that the fact that Singapore is expensive and would be difficult to make a profit going there in the first place. So did you go for the second interview? Did they cover your expenses?
coffeespoonman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it was just for a lecturer position. And yeah, I was put off by all the hoops as well. They did offer to cover expenses, but it would have cut into my honeymoon, and I was too busy wedding planning to put the effort into writing a paper from scratch for them. So, eventually I just withdrew my application.

If I weren't already happy where I am, or if I were into research and looking for more of an academic position (I'm more into administration), I probably would have gone for it. But as it is, I think it was the wrong decision for me at this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: