Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CV/Resume question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miniuser

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: CV/Resume question Reply with quote

I am in my late 20s but just finishing my BA from a US university. Other than a couple odd jobs during and shortly after high school, I've been self-employed as a freelance writer. I assume employers are only looking for education-related experience, but I'm also worried that listing no work history at my age might raise some eyebrows. Any advice on how to handle this on my CV? I plan on applying for positions in East Asia and probably Southeast Asia as well.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under 'Work History' simply put Freelance Writer, the years self employed, and a short summary of what that role entails. Since you're a newbie, you're applying for entry-level TEFL positions anyway.

By the way, so you decided not to pursue teacher licensure/qualification after graduation?
miniuser

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, too many forums to keep track of – I didn’t mean to ignore your reply, sorry. Thanks.

I’m still pursuing teaching certification through Teach Now while teaching ESL on the side. I may still end up doing Teach Now at a DS if I can't find a quality IS that will let me do the required field experience (the ESL apps won't go out until I find an IS to work with).
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniuser wrote:
I’m still pursuing teaching certification through Teach Now while teaching ESL on the side. I may still end up doing Teach Now at a DS if I can't find a quality IS that will let me do the required field experience (the ESL apps won't go out until I find an IS to work with).

I suggest you focus more on teaching in a US (domestic) school rather than trying to snag a position in an international school abroad. You'll find it challenging to get hired by an overseas, American-curriculum IS since the level of school you'll need for your observations will very likely require you to already have a license.

Additionally, keep in mind you'll be required to address specific US k-12 teaching standards during your practicum. See the following per TEACH-NOW's website:

Quote:
During the 12-week clinical practice, the mentor teacher assesses your performance using the TEACH-NOW rubric based on the InTASC Standards. The objective of this assessment is to ensure that you have reached at least the proficient level on all the performance outcomes of the program, which cover the requirements of all the InTASC Standards.

Source: http://teach-now.com/programs/#1456368606039-8dd3b43c-4663

This is typical. When I did my ESOL teaching practice course for my MAT (not toward licensure), I was required to address specific state edcuational standards in my teaching portfolio, which was reviewed and graded by my supervising teacher. Both my supervising and cooperating teachers had to be experienced, TESOL-related MA holders regardless if I'd focused on children or adult learners. Simiarly, the mentor who supervises your practicum will have to meet certain requirements in terms of experience and academic credentials. He/she will also need to be very familiar with US teaching standards because that's how you will be assessed.

Some food for thought.
miniuser

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may still end up in a domestic school, but I'm taking a swing at some ISs. It was suggested to me that I might be able to get in by researching the individual schools to see if their curriculum is lacking something (SPED, ESOL, etc.) and pitching a proposal to meet whatever need they have. In that sense it seems like it doesn't really matter what subject I'm initially a trainee for, since once I'm certified I'll still be able to take whatever praxis I want. So I'm basically hoping to be a 'whatever-they-need' IS trainee who eventually gets certified in Math.

It may not work, but I think it will be relatively easy to find a domestic school to fall back on, especially since I'd be willing to move most places within the US.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniuser wrote:
I may still end up in a domestic school, but I'm taking a swing at some ISs. It was suggested to me that I might be able to get in by researching the individual schools to see if their curriculum is lacking something (SPED, ESOL, etc.) and pitching a proposal to meet whatever need they have. In that sense it seems like it doesn't really matter what subject I'm initially a trainee for, since once I'm certified I'll still be able to take whatever praxis I want. So I'm basically hoping to be a 'whatever-they-need' IS trainee who eventually gets certified in Math.

However, be aware the better American-curriculum and accredited international schools will want to see that your degree major matches both your teaching experience and the subject you're licensed to teach. In other words, the idea of mixing your major with an unrelated subject may backfire on you in the long run when you start to look at the requirements for those schools you're most interested in.
miniuser

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm mostly applying to legitimate embassy schools - http://www.state.gov/m/a/os/c1684.htm - although I'll probably try a few lesser schools as well. Maybe a long shot but can't hurt to try.

Regarding the degree-cert-experience alignment, my understanding is that in practice schools can hire a teacher to teach the subject their degree is in for the purpose of securing a work visa, and then assign them to whatever classroom they want - i.e. what they actually hired them for. I think the right combination of finding a 1st-tier school in a hardship area + targeting school's particular needs gives my idea some hope.

Have also heard that after a couple years as a certified IT nobody cares where or how your certification was received. However I do think that starting at a domestic school is probably better than going to a 3rd-tier trainwreck "international school" despite my desire to teach abroad, so if it comes down to that I'll probably stay in the US a couple more years.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniuser wrote:
Regarding the degree-cert-experience alignment, my understanding is that in practice schools can hire a teacher to teach the subject their degree is in for the purpose of securing a work visa, and then assign them to whatever classroom they want - i.e. what they actually hired them for. I think the right combination of finding a 1st-tier school in a hardship area + targeting school's particular needs gives my idea some hope.

Have also heard that after a couple years as a certified IT nobody cares where or how your certification was received.

Don't go with what you think international schools practice and what you've heard in order to fit your desire to quickly head abroad; taking shortcuts could come back to bite you. Over the past few years, we've seen employers and/or governments in Asia and the Mid East tighten requirements and verify credentials (some reject online quals). Plus, you won't be able to compete against well-qualified job seekers with relevant degrees, experience, and licensure in their specific subject.

and miniuser wrote:
However I do think that starting at a domestic school is probably better than going to a 3rd-tier trainwreck "international school" despite my desire to teach abroad, so if it comes down to that I'll probably stay in the US a couple more years.

That's a much better plan in terms of what you'll be able to offer your young students at home and abroad. Think with your head and not with your heart.
JohnD47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Under 'Work History' simply put Freelance Writer, the years self employed, and a short summary of what that role entails. Since you're a newbie, you're applying for entry-level TEFL positions anyway.

By the way, so you decided not to pursue teacher licensure/qualification after graduation?

I agree that this is the best thing to do. You do not have to worry about your work history, you have a work in the past years, you only did it freelance.
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are thinking about China, you must have two years of verifiable experience and a degree before you can work there. A degree isn't enough (for some provinces in China, it is) but you may want to consider another xountry to teach in to get your two years experience so you can qualify for China later on. If that's what you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: