Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOE "security check"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: MOE "security check" Reply with quote

Hi

I am very confused at the info floating about for the MOE 'security check.'

Is this the same as the FBI check? Some people have said it is not.Some have said it is.

For those people who have 'passed' their check...could you please shed light on the nature of this?

Also, did you have to submit an FBI check?

Time is ticking and I thought to have passed everything in but ...????
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously... did this one question need two new threads... added to the question on yet another thread?

VS
izmigari

Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But...it takes so long to process an FBI check! Does he have time to hesitate? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Seriously tho, OP, listen to what VS advises. The "security check" of which you've been informed is something that they do in the Gulf region to make sure that you haven't been deported for the egregious crime of insulting a member's so-called dignity or having skipped out on a bank loan made in a GCC member's country.

It neither involves you or, for that matter, should concern you. Relax, you're in the capable hands of an Emirati national doing his/her job efficiently during the Holy month of Ramadan when they are the most diligent! Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Laughing
izmigari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Sorry for the last line...couldn't help myself... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

izmigari wrote:
But...it takes so long to process an FBI check! Does he have time to hesitate? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Seriously tho, OP, listen to what VS advises. The "security check" of which you've been informed is something that they do in the Gulf region to make sure that you haven't been deported for the egregious crime of insulting a member's so-called dignity or having skipped out on a bank loan made in a GCC member's country.

It neither involves you or, for that matter, should concern you. Relax, you're in the capable hands of an Emirati national doing his/her job efficiently during the Holy month of Ramadan when they are the most diligent! Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Laughing

So by this logic, no MOE prospective employee is required to go through the fingerprinting/FBI check thing?
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Seriously... did this one question need two new threads... added to the question on yet another thread?

VS

Yes. It does.
DirectDebit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As VS said, the security check is done by the UAE authorities. It has nothing to do with the FBI.

You do not need to provide fingerprints, however, a requirement of you getting an ID card in the UAE (essential for anything and everything from getting Internet to opening a bank account) you will get fingerprinted. You are likely to be taken to do this along with the mandatory health check.

Security clearance can take a few weeks or a few months - depends on how pushy your HR person is and how efficient the Emirati doing the check is. I wouldn't bank on anything happening too speedily at the moment due to the shortened Ramadan hours currently in operation.
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirectDebit wrote:
As VS said, the security check is done by the UAE authorities. It has nothing to do with the FBI.

You do not need to provide fingerprints, however, a requirement of you getting an ID card in the UAE (essential for anything and everything from getting Internet to opening a bank account) you will get fingerprinted. You are likely to be taken to do this along with the mandatory health check.

Security clearance can take a few weeks or a few months - depends on how pushy your HR person is and how efficient the Emirati doing the check is. I wouldn't bank on anything happening too speedily at the moment due to the shortened Ramadan hours currently in operation.

Right I just don't get why I am being asked to do it and spend the money when I don't even have to. Should I politely inform my recruiter about this and refuse? He is implying that the security clearance I am waiting for has to come from this FBI check. I am SO CONFUSED!
izmigari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be VERY wary of Persian Gulf recruiters.
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope some new hires will pipe in soon.....

He seems like a nice enough guy but this is the thing that makes me go hmmmmmm
DirectDebit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmvkjmvk wrote:

Right I just don't get why I am being asked to do it and spend the money when I don't even have to. Should I politely inform my recruiter about this and refuse? He is implying that the security clearance I am waiting for has to come from this FBI check. I am SO CONFUSED!

You do not have to pay for security clearance. You can't do anything about security clearance even if you wanted to. I don't know of anyone ever being asked to pay for it. The FBI has nothing to do with it.

If the guy is asking you for money, it's a scam. Who is the recruiter?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmvkjmvk wrote:
I just don't get why I am being asked to do it and spend the money when I don't even have to. Should I politely inform my recruiter about this and refuse? He is implying that the security clearance I am waiting for has to come from this FBI check. I am SO CONFUSED!

Is this recruiter from an outside agency, or is he an HR rep with the actual employer?

You're a licensed teacher; you should have applied to schools directly. But anyway...
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmvkjmvk wrote:

Don't send them money. Employees come from all over the world to work in the UAE. The FBI has nothing to do with it. Do you think the FBI has records on every law-abiding non-US citizen living outside the US borders? The employer must pay for the security check. It's usually written in the contact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: