Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Profits for EL providers plummet as Brexit looms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Profits for EL providers plummet as Brexit looms Reply with quote

Profits plummet as Brexit looms
By Melanie Butler, EL Gazette | June 2016
Source: http://www.elgazette.com/

Uncertainty over the result of the EU referendum is causing ‘unprecedented damage’ to the UK language teaching industry, one Cambridge language school has claimed. John Barnett of Cambridge Academy of English warned in his local press that summer bookings were being hit because of currency exchange uncertainty. This comes on the back of a 25 per cent drop in the number of course weeks sold in the UK last year, according to unaudited early return figures from English UK members. Enrolments in Ireland, the UK’s closest rival, rose 10 per cent in the same period.

In a recent survey 75 per cent of members of trade association English UK reported that a vote to leave the EU would further damage the industry. Just 6 per cent of respondents felt that leaving would have a positive effect.

English UK chair Steve Phillips said that the association’s partners and colleagues in Europe had been ‘encouraging us to speak up for the valuable business and cultural partnership we share and enjoy’. EU nationals make up just under half of all language students coming to the UK.

Arguing for Brexit is Conor Burns, Member of Parliament for Bournemouth, home to Britain’s second-largest language school community. In a letter to a local paper, he blamed the pressure on local language schools on the reduction in the number of non-EU students admitted forced on the UK because of uncontrolled immigration from Europe. ‘In an attempt to cut migration numbers it is being made harder and harder for those outside the EU to come here,’ he wrote.

Molly Scott Cato, Member of the European Parliament for the area disagrees. ‘It is the Tory government’s immigration policy and not the EU that is portraying this country as hostile to international students,’ she told the Bournemouth Daily Echo.

A British vote to leave the EU (‘Brexit’) is likely to have an adverse effect, particularly on long-stay students from Europe, if current restrictions on international students were applied to EU nationals. The UK would also lose access to EU-funded language study, such as the Italian Pon scheme which brings in up to 50,000 students a year. The future of teacher training for EU teachers, largely funded through the EU Erasmus+ scheme, would also be in doubt. However, the dramatic drop in the value of sterling, forecast by some economists as likely in the event of Brexit, might go some way to ameliorating the situation.

(End of article)
republocrat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: English UK hypocrites Reply with quote

How strange that English UK failed to mention that the absence of cheap imported teachers from the east would mean a return to pre2004 wage levels for most Teflers.

Salaries in the UK tefl trade are at an all time low, and I have seen hourly rates advertised that are below those of 15 years ago. This is all due to Polish teachers and similar, who are prepared to work for much less than the going rate.

The forthcoming Brexit will be a blessing for EFL teachers in the UK, as the fall in the value of the pound will mean more punters, and there will be fewer false 'English teachers' with Slavic accents!
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the pay 15 years ago?

I can honestly say from what I've seen offered [12-15 pounds in central London] that I can make more double that an hour in China, where cost of living is 1/3 of London or even less.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
What was the pay 15 years ago?

I can honestly say from what I've seen offered [12-15 pounds in central London] that I can make more double that an hour in China, where cost of living is 1/3 of London or even less.

That's generous. I've seen ad for £8 an hour.

Vote LEAVE and let's gets the wage levels up again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: