Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone worried about Brexit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Anyone worried about Brexit? Reply with quote

What happens following a Brexit to unmarried, expat Brits in Poland?

Anyone worried?
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that if you vote to leave there is a two year period where Britain stays in until they figure out how to leave. So probably nothing would happen for a while at least.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a billion deals done whether bilaterally, trilaterally or unilaterally.. We enter the unknown.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that fewer Poles will be able to work in the UK therefore demand for English goes down.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
My guess is that fewer Poles will be able to work in the UK therefore demand for English goes down.
But won't it also mean no automatic right to work in Poland for British citizens? The number of Brits teaching in Poland goes down as well.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worried at all. Cutting through all the bs, this is what will happen.
1) we have to vote for brexit
2) after we vote for brexit (if we do) we actually have to enact article 50. This could be done at any time after the referendum. Please remember that the referendum is not legally binding. So it could be done a day after or 2 years after if at all.
3) the trading relationships will be exactly the same
4) the foreign status of citizenship will be exactly the same. Remember how many of "them" there are in the UK to us elsewhere.
5) the end result: some bureaucratic uncertainty but in the end the same l.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:

Assuming that there will be this Australian points system in place, it'll mean that unskilled Poles will be stopped from entering (and from other countries too). Will this mean that the demand for English will go down? No. I assume quite the opposite. More skilled = more likely to speak English to get entry into the UK.

I went to an optician a few weeks ago. He said he wanted tp be an optician in the UK. To do so he had to get IELTS 7.5. In short (and this is an assumption) the more skilled work you want to do in the UK, the more likely it is that you will have to have an English qualification
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite optimistic about any after Brexit scenario but 3 and 4 as noted by Mr Porter are rather wild assumptions! There may be renegotiation but to say that everything will stay the same?! At the very least, there will be some red tape if we pull out of EU.. Somewhere like France or Germany may well stamp their feet harder than Poland, though..
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Clinton was president it was easier for Poles to get a visa for the US, so Poland reciprocated but by 2000, the USA was getting tougher on visas for Poles (maybe due to the number of overstayers) so Poland made it harder for Americans to get a visa.
I think Brexit would be simllar: fewer Poles can work in the UK, so Poland responds in kind.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Clinton was president it was easier for Poles to get a visa for the US, so Poland reciprocated but by 2000, the USA was getting tougher on visas for Poles (maybe due to the number of overstayers) so Poland made it harder for Americans to get a visa.
I think Brexit would be simllar: fewer Poles can work in the UK, so Poland responds in kind.
Kofola

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on who would do the negotiating but the following are examples of things likely to be affected

- reciprocal health care rights
- reciprocal pension rights
- visa requirements and work permits (esp. complicated if these are bilaterally negotiated rather than with the EU as a whole)
- equal consideration in tender bids

and then of course there's the strength of pound v euro to consider
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

'I married Kasia for her passport.'

The irony of it.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
'I married Kasia for her passport.'

The irony of it.
Hehe. Now the shoe is on the other foot.
manumany

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us worked here before Poland was in the EU, and it wasn't a problem. You needed to go through some more bureaucracy but it was fine. Formally living and working on the black market might be harder, though, mightn't it? (Makes me think of the thread on 'What's the point of ZUS?')

In answer to the question, I'm a bit worried, but like it's been said before, it's mostly just the uncertainty that's disconcerting - there's no reason to think that Poland would be kicking anyone out.

That said, I want to be able to travel in Europe and have the ease of being an EU citizen if I'm going to live in the EU; does anyone know what the situation is regarding having to give up your foreign passport if you take Polish citizenship? I was told that you didn't use to have to, but that that changed recently, only, I can't find information from a reliable source.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poland hasn't required anyone to give up their foreign citizenship since 1962, but the law requires you merely to identify yourself to the Polish authorities using Polish documents if you are Polish. One of the rare cases of Polish reasonableness, it seems.

Nothing has changed recently and it's unlikely to do so, not least because it would cause a lot of problems for ethnic Poles that acquired Polish citizenship from FSU countries.

The big problem right now is that you need at least a B1 pass in Polish, yet there's no sign of the exams restarting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: