Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching ESL in Myanmar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacannella

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Teaching ESL in Myanmar Reply with quote

I am a 49 year old American English teacher with an MA TESOL, CELTA, 20 years teaching experience (mostly at the tertiary level), but no US/UK public school certification. What is the job market like in Myanmar for someone with my background and age? I noticed that there's not much discussion on Myanmar, which leads me to think that A) the job market isn't so good or B) there are jobs, but due to supposed high rents (in Yangon anyway), lack of long term residency visas (for the moment) thus requiring teachers to fly to Bangkok every 3 months or so to renew, the typical ESL teacher is staying away till these things hopefully improve. Would love to hear from someone with any insight regarding the above and what it is like to teach in Myanmar.

Last edited by jacannella on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching ESL in Myanmar Reply with quote

You might give Georgetown University's ELF Program (http://elprograms.org/) a look. They have teaching projects in Myanmar, although timing is key.

By the way, you probably shouldn't publicize your email address; you leave yourself open to spam.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Myanmar is still off the beaten path as far as TEFLing goes. If you're concerned about high rents, you might check out Mandalay which is a bit north of Yangon.

The job list boards here at Dave's often have jobs posted from schools in Myanmar, so you might get a basic idea of what your options are by checking those out. I think the British Council also does some work in Myanmar.

Please keep us posted on how your search goes. Myanmar is a potentially exciting place to be at this point in history. We'd love to hear more about the opportunities there.
mfinna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

There are some people on the board here like myself who are presently teaching in Yangon.

If you search for older Myanmar posts you will find a lot of detailed information. There is even a very long list of schools and language academies with contact information. It may be a year or two old but other than rents things probably haven't changed all that much. I am still here getting the same wage and paying just a bit more in rent.

The big turnoff regarding high rents is misleading. If you want western style amenities, then the prices are indeed very high and poor value for money. If you don't mind cold water, no A/C, squat toilet, and concrete floors, you can find a place all of your own for 200 to 300 in Yangon. I posted a rant about the rental situation here after being thoroughly confounded by what people were telling me.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1084979&highlight=#1084979

This guy is also quite helpful if he still checks the boards

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102528

-fin
jacannella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching ESL in Myanmar Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
You might give Georgetown University's ELF Program (http://elprograms.org/) a look. They have teaching projects in Myanmar, although timing is key.

By the way, you probably shouldn't publicize your email address; you leave yourself open to spam.

Thanks. Removed my e-mail. Smile

Since I am in Saudi Arabia now I will just go directly to Myanmar in May, spend a month and see how it goes.
jacannella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching ESL in Myanmar Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

adaruby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfinna wrote:
Greetings,

If you don't mind cold water, no A/C, squat toilet, and concrete floors,

-fin

So, a bit like being in prison then?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaruby wrote:
mfinna wrote:
Greetings,

If you don't mind cold water, no A/C, squat toilet, and concrete floors,

-fin

So, a bit like being in prison then?

Yeah, but prison has hot water and western style toilets Laughing
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with using squat toilets anyway? Must have come about because they are less expensive. Hopefully you don't share apartments with bathrooms with squat toilets. Good God!
mfinna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say one thing about squat toilets and the bucket/cup of water method for doing your business. It's much more hygienic than using toilet paper and a western style toilet....
BocaNY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US Gov't offers English Teaching fellowships in Myanmar. https://application.elprograms.org/
It is possible to find work with your credentials. The top international schools want teachers with teacher licenses from their home country or a western country. Those schools pay the best. Most schools offer housing or a housing stipend. You can find a nice one bedroom apartment with hot water, a/c, western toilet for $500 a month. Or you can go the cheaper option like mentioned before and install a western toilet and fix it up a bit for not much money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: