Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be careful renting property in Paris

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muzorewi1984

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Be careful renting property in Paris Reply with quote

I thought I should offer this advice from my experience of renting a flat in Paris.

I rented a flat which included a €1,400 security deposit. Two weeks into the contract, my landlord ordered me out and has now kept the deposit. When I texted him asking him to give it back he claimed he had already given it to me in cash (?!) and he would take me to court if I bothered him again. So now I'll need to hire a French lawyer...

A quick google search suggests this is quite a common practice among landlords in France, taking advantage of foreigners with limited French, struggling to find a good rental property.

Be very careful, if you're renting in Paris.
nfig77

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can he "order you out"? You have a rental agreement don't you?
muzorewi1984

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He took me aside one day and started shouting his head off about how I'd messed his flat up (I hadn't), then told me to get out. I guess strictly speaking I could have waved the contract at him and said "no, I'm staying" but the atmosphere in the place was bloody awful (he was a live-in landlord), and it would have been hard to tough it out so I said I'd leave if he promised to return my money. He said he would when I left. Then he didn't.
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has to be some way you can get an organization to advocate for you. France is very concerned with tenants' rights; in fact, a tenant can't be evicted during the winter months.

Ask around for legal services. I am sure you can find someone to advocate for you.

Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: