Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Ideas for an American Dreaming of France?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindsay316

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Any Ideas for an American Dreaming of France? Reply with quote

I know that finding work as a non-EU citizen in France is next to impossible, but I was hoping that there might be some option I hadn't considered. I thought I'd share my situation with the Dave's community and see if anyone has an idea for me.

I'm on my way out of South Korea, where I have been teaching English at a university. I have a master's in English literature from the US, where I also taught English at the university level for two years. I know I can't expect to find a university position in France or even a real high school or elementary school position, probably.

I had really wanted to apply to the teaching assistant program, but I'm not at the B1 level in French yet, and I know that's a key requirement for them. I took a course at my university this semester, but I've had trouble focusing on learning French and keeping up with my teaching duties. I would really like to study French in France. I've thought about trying to go there on a student visa, but I wouldn't be able to afford to support myself during a whole semester without working, and I don't even really know what kind of program I would be eligible for. I'm interested in getting a teaching certificate at some point, I guess, and I enjoy being a student in general. I just don't know what my options are, if any. I had also thought about just going to France and trying to wing it as a private tutor or a nanny, but if that didn't work out, I'm not sure I would have enough money saved to support myself for a great length of time.

I know the best idea is probably to just keep studying French and apply for the assistant program next year, but this is the year of my life that's totally open. When I leave Korea, I have no real home, no car, no job, no kids, no significant other, and no other responsibilities. What I really want to do is move to France and study French. But I guess if wishes were horses...

Sorry to be so wordy! I just thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone has any ideas I hadn't considered. Thanks, Dave's community!
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered learning French in Quebec? There was another poster here who suggested that there's a growing demand for English there, especially outside of the stretch between QC and Montreal, and you should be able to get legal work there as a NAFTA professional. Maybe spend a year in Quebec, get your French up to snuff, and then head across the Atlantic on the TA program, where you're now probably a shoe-in. (MA, fluent French, and teaching experience in a Francophone environment.)

Regards,
~Q
PeterBar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marry someone with a European passport.
You'll then be eligible to live and work in France (or any other country in the EU).
Concepcion780

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could look into being an au pair in France, you generally have enough free time to take language classes.

I looked into this years ago and don't remember the details, but it is some special "other" visa, not work or student. J visa maybe?

There are a few good websites for finding families looking for au pairs, I don't remember those either, but I'm sure you can find a few by googling.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpler - marry someone with an EU passport.

Like I said Very Happy

all you have to do is find someone willing to marry you .

Try www.pof.com - Smile
Don't forget to post your photo
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterBar wrote:
Simpler - marry someone with an EU passport.

Like I said Very Happy

all you have to do is find someone willing to marry you .

Try www.pof.com - Smile
Don't forget to post your photo

The first time you said this I assumed you were kidding.

You realize that, unless you're talking about a green card marriage (or the European equivalent) means you have to find someone who's willing to move wherever you go? That's difficult when you meet people in person, and I can't imagine that online dating would make it any easier.

~Q
PeterBar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice link to Carole King - my generation's music
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterBar wrote:
Nice link to Carole King - my generation's music

I love "your generation's" music. It's far more interesting than the stuff that was playing on the radio from while I was growing up and I can find some gems (for example, Tapestry) for cheap in used music stores.

Still doesn't change my point. In Adana, I met a Turkish girl who had dual EU citizenship through her Cypriot mother. She was also smart, attractive, and liked the same music I do. I wanted to ask her to marry me then and there, but things don't work out quite as nicely in life as they do in the movies.

~Q
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qaalchoura! Are you suggesting that we shouldn't recommend marraige as a way to work legally in the EU?
That in fact this isn't a reasonable option which non-EU citizens should consider? That a marraige based on this criteria might somehow be a bad idea? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh, my.
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look at getting a job with an international school or getting hired by an international corporation.

Another possibility would be teaching on-line for an American company while basing yourself in France.

If you get a translation certificate, you could also look at being a freelance translator and get all your assignments online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: