Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paying for work permit????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leila2003

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Paying for a work permit?? Reply with quote

Hi Amber....I have actually spoken to Mr.Daniel on the phone and he seems a bit "abrupt" but other than that I didn't know that they were looking for so many teachers. Anyway I have told him about my reservations about paying a "processing fee" and he hasn't replied yet so I will let you know.

I am currently in Saudi Arabia....in Riyadh...it is okay but a tad difficult in that I am a single female and travelling inside fro simple things like groceries becomes too much of a hassle....other than that I have a great life but misssssss Turkey very very much.

I am really looking forward to this job and as you say the salary is quite high. I am reluctant to leave a secure job for what may be a "scam"....thisis the reason I am unwilling to pay the processing fee.....I have told the school that I can understand their wanting a show of good faith but I feel me paying for my own ticket is a show of good faith...In the ME they pay for your ticket...hotel costs...visa..etc....and some teachers actually don't pitch.....so I truly do see their point of view.

I am still awaiting their reply with regards to me paying the processing fee when I get there....will keep you all posted.

If you hear anything about the school, plzzz let me know.

Thanks
amber

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leila,

I am still waiting for information regarding starting dates, salary offer, airfare and accommodation coverage. I really know nothing for a job that is asking for $500 US up front. I think I am giving up on this one but I'll let you know if anything else turns out.

How did you get your ME job? Do you have a B. Ed.?
Leila2003

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Paying for a work permit?? Reply with quote

Hi Amber

Firstly with reference to the job in Istanbul...starting date is ned of August/ early September/ salary 3x what is offered at most schools/ airfare they will reimburse upon completion of contract/ private furnished apartment where they pay for all utilities.

I have received a reply in that I informed the school of my reluctance to part with 500$ to a school I havent heard of. They have agreed to forward the school's bank account number to me. They have in the meanwhile forwarded a contract which also seems too good to be true. I am still doing my homework on this school. I have emailed the British Council and the Turkish Consulates asking for information. The Turkish Consulate has advised me NOT to pay anything. They have also asked me to ask the school if they have permission to employ foreign nationals from the Turkish Ministry, which I have done.

As to me being in the ME, I joined an agency and this is how I got this position. I don't have a B.Ed. In fact I have a Law degree but I do have a TEFL and four years years international experience.

Plzzz keep me informed as to ANY school in Turkey needing teachers.

Thanks a lot
El Gordo

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a degree in the subject which you will be teaching, plus a PGCE, or alternatively a BEd, you cannot be employed legally as a teacher in a K-12 school in Turkey.

The usual procedure is that you send copies of your certificates to the school who, after having these documents officially translated into Turkish, send both the English and Turkish versions to the Ministry of Education for approval. If all is well, the Ministry issues a preliminary authorisation document which will be forwarded to you via the school, and you will take this together with your contract to the Turkish Consulate in your home country to apply for a work visa. You will need to show the original documents when you eventually arrive at the school.

I say "legally" above, because I have known plenty of schools to employ teachers who had neither degree in English nor PGCE / BEd, but they were working illegally on a three-month tourist visa, and had to leave and re-enter Turkey every three months.

Perhaps you should ask Cent Koleji how they propose to get round this regulation.

Best of luck with your jobsearch!
amber

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leila and El Gordo,

I finally received my teaching contract and after reviewing it thought "Wow! Maybe it isn't so bad afterall." But now that I know about the legality of hiring teachers without B. Ed. I'm skeptical again. I'm not interested in working illegally nor in leaving the country every 3 months. I know I need to decide soon because the school is pressuring me to make a decision. However, I still can't afford the $500 US - whether it will be reimbursed or not.
Leila2003

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Paying for work permit?? Reply with quote

Hi Amber

I also received the contract and that is why I thought this is a great opportunity.
I should tell you that I worked in Turkey for two years and had to leave every 30 DAYS because my visa only lasts for a month. I was earning only 500$ at that time because I worked in a small town and even then I had a great life.(p.s. the school didnt have permission to employ foreign nationals )

I have received letters from the Turkish consulates and they advise me AGAINST paying any processing fee. I have told the school that and sent my docyments and they have told me that they will get back to me. Rolling Eyes

I don't know now whether they will or not. Also the Turkish consulates ahve asked me to ask the school whether they have permission from the ministry to employ foreign teachers, which I have done and again - no news Crying or Very sad

Will keep you posted. I should also mention Amber that I have spoken to another person who has been offered the job and this person has actually gone to Turkey to visit the school and speak to Mr.Daniel in person. Will return on Thursday and call me. Watch this space for the latest news.

Anyway I have decided to go to Turkey anyway. I will be there mid-July and will try and secure a job Inshallah.

I am based in Riyadh and after yesterday's bombings, I am on my nerves just going shopping because I don't know what will be targeted next.

Please keep me posted on any new developments.

Thanks a lot.
amber

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about you yesterday when I saw the news (and I don't usually watch the news). It is good to hear that you are OK and that you are getting out of there soon.

Let me know more about your findings. I don't think I'd be happy leaving every few months to renew my visa, let alone feeling like I'm not legally working. I worked illegally in another country 9 years ago and was deported. Embarassed I don't want to go through that again. I'm having second thoughts on teaching for a year anyway. I'm going through a bit of a personal crisis right now and don't entirely know my mind. Crying or Very sad Tomorrow I may want to teach abroad again. Confused I'd still like to hear about where you are at. Who knows? Maybe we will meet in Turkey afterall!
Leila2003

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Paying for work permit?? Reply with quote

Hi Amber...thanks for the sweet msg....really helped me...Insha'Allah we may meet in Turkey soon....I am going to be there from mid-July and will look for work then even.....I have rcvd another email from a lady who was also employed at the school in Tarabya to teach Chinese....however the web address they gave her is www.ozelcent.4t.com ....while I have www.centkoleji.com.....I have lloked at them and am not sure if they are the same or has one been copied from the other.....I have not received any further response from the school except to say that they are busy processing those applicants who have paid the fee and will get to processing my documents later!!...If it is a scam, we should definitely report them to all Turkish ministries!...anyway the only correspondence I have had is with a Mr.D.Daniel and a Ms.Pembe.....both of which I should say is not Turkish names....I even spoke to Mr.daniel and he doesn't sound Turkish...I am now waiting for a friend who has gone to see the school in person and will let you now the news....

If you are interested, I know there is a school in Qatar looking for teachers...let me know...take care and talk to you soon.
El Gordo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a look at that other website ( www.ozelcent.4t.com ) and I must say that it seems very amateurish: badly laid out, little real information and full of spelling and typing errors. It certainly does not give a very good impression of the school. Whether or not the whole thing is a scam I cannot say, but I would strongly advise anyone against parting with USD 500 for visa expenses. What, for example, if you send them the money and then the Ministry of Education does not approve you? Will they return the money? In any case, it is the applicant, not the school, who has to pay for the visa at the Turkish Embassy (Consulate) in his/her own country, and generally the school refunds this money when the teacher arrives in Turkey. The cost of the work visa varies from country to country: in the UK it is currently about GBP 70, probably a bit more in the USA, but I doubt if it costs USD 500 anywhere.

There are plenty of good schools in Istanbul which do not ask for money up front, so why take the risk?
amber

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bad feelings about this school. So much seems fishy and I'm definately not parting with $500 US. However, I would like to hear the report on the school from your "spy". I have had an interview from a different school in Turkey and have info on another. I'd love the info on the position/school in Qatar too. I'm keeping my options open. There are so many school to teach at that are legit and won't compromise you. Making $ is my no. 1 goal but I'd also love to work in a interesting country.
amber

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leila,

Have you heard back from your friend who checked out Cent kOleji? I applied but did not get a job a IH in Istanbul. The administrator had not heard of the school but his employer had. Nothing to say, however.

Where are you at re: teaching in Turkey? Have you heard from the school?

P.S. Each email I receive from the school asking me where I stand is signed by a different person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: