Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

re: decisions....Hit HK or Taiwan on the ground running?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: re: decisions....Hit HK or Taiwan on the ground running? Reply with quote

Thinking of returning to teach in HK, but Taiwan has always intrigued me, as I have never been. If I was to favour the "Wan" over HK as first choice, what would be my options on the ground running? BA in English Lit, TEFL, and 10 years experience in China (speak and understand chinese) and 1 year in Oman teaching college level students.

Any feedback appreciated.
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you're probably aware people keep saying Taiwan is dead as an EFL destination.

You have a lot more experience than I do, so I'm sure you could get something decent, but would it be good enough in relation to your experience? I'm just interested for a year or two because as a certified teacher I can get a job in a public school and salary doesn't seem too bad (seems to go from about 60,000+ to 80,000 a month). If I'm not mistaken, for public school jobs you need a teaching license.

On a long-term basis I'm sure HK is the better option though, I guess you could maybe try Taiwan for a year?
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: re: thanks for the reply Reply with quote

I've been posting over on the viet boards also.

I'm basically looking for somewhere with a lower living cost than HK at first. I'd go back to HK, but really it's expensive and difficult to save much unless you are flitting about like a blue arsed fly....it's also very much a case of been there, done it, got the tshirt.

At the moment, Viet is seeming to outweigh HK and Taiwan in terms of the living cost. As to teaching opportunities on the ground not so sure.

Cheers
sp
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in HK accommodation prices are the problem! But, can't you move up a bit whilst there in terms of better jobs?

Looking at it for Taiwan, approx 75,000 NTD seems decent enough a month. In the UK a licensed teacher for instance in their first year only starts off at £1,800 a month which equates to 77,000 NTD and naturally living costs in Taiwan will be lower than the UK. Therefore, for me at least if I can get somewhere between 75-80,000 it's better than I'd get as a licensed teacher in the UK.

I haven't looked into Vietnam, but not that interested in working there. Hope you find something good!
Spelunker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: re: that makes taiwan sound pretty decent Reply with quote

That's quite good, not overly bothered about saving, but as I get older it becomes important. So saving half of the salary at least every month would be important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: