Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Afghanistan Pay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedLightning wrote:
A colleague of mine told me he was offered 150k+ not two months ago.
How true this is I can't say.

For which employer/role?
RedLightning

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
RedLightning wrote:
A colleague of mine told me he was offered 150k+ not two months ago.
How true this is I can't say.

For which employer/role?

Not sure- ESL instructor I assume
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Dollars ? Pounds ? Euros ?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One always hears these rumors of some teacher (and some unknown employer) who claims over an evening of beer to have been offered a number that is huge.

If it even existed, is it likely one short term contract in an area where one must wear body armor to teach... and get to listen to explosions nightly.

I would estimate that the number of EFL teachers who snatched a job paying a salary like this in the last 25 years could be counted on your fingers.

VS
RedLightning

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
US Dollars ? Pounds ? Euros ?

USD

veiledsentiments wrote:
One always hears these rumors of some teacher (and some unknown employer) who claims over an evening of beer to have been offered a number that is huge.

If it even existed, is it likely one short term contract in an area where one must wear body armor to teach... and get to listen to explosions nightly.

I would estimate that the number of EFL teachers who snatched a job paying a salary like this in the last 25 years could be counted on your fingers.

VS

As the discussion topic is Afghanistan, you're quite correct in that the area is very dangerous-thus the high salary.
The colleague I mentioned was just that, a colleague; a beer drinker he may be.
However, I can tell you with certainty that a very good friend of mine (a separate individual) pulled in 175k USD/ year with General Dynamics in Kabul from 2010-2012.
Yet another colleague was pulling in 150kUSD/year in Iraq a few years back.
I met both of these individuals during my only tertiary stint in the Middle East.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is clear that it is as I said. very rare... very limited. Usually only one or two teachers. Always military related...

VS
RedLightning

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
It is clear that it is as I said. very rare... very limited. Usually only one or two teachers. Always military related...

VS

To keep things in context, two colleagues out of the 10 or so I associated with had come by such lucrative contracts.
Both were male, possessed over ten years experience in the industry(several in the region hitherto), and most importantly, were willing to accept the hazardous conditions.

It seems the type of people fitted to these positions are as rare as the positions themselves.
Perhaps the high salaries are a reflection of this.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, those are the details that needed to be stressed. Too many read about these sky high pay positions and assume that this is common... or that their 2 years teaching kids in China makes them eligible. LOL

They also usually have military experience.

VS
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I had a firm offer/contract of $15,000/month from Shell there, 28/28 in the Majnoon Field in 2014. Not paid when off, so only 90k a year , which is less than I'm on now living in the best country in the Gulf.

Oh and I don't have an MA Smile

Yeah but you don't get six months off a year either. On average there are no free lunches, even for silver spooners. Now, even if you appear overpaid, you aren't. Scot47 often points to the cash value of one's sanity, and he makes a good point. I reckon for every year spent in Saudi, it would take at least 6 months to recover fully, both physically and mentally. Others have said after 40, teaching English in Saudi will age you 2 years for every one you teach, and so on. So I get you man. The money is good, just you earn it. And for the English teachers in KSA who are severely underpaid and overworked - and there are many judging by the plethora of job ads - just hope they can get in and get out with minimal damage.
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

They also usually have military experience.

VS

The only jobs that offer decent hazard pay scales for a combat zone such as in AF will be combat related, i.e., military, and only by those militaries that can afford to pay, e.g., the US. However, if you work at AUA in Kabul, you will get zero hazard pay. In other words, you make the same as you would in say AUIS (in Kurdistan), but obviously with much worse living conditions. It doesn't take a genius to avoid that kind of deal, but people still teach English at AUA for that salary, not sure how long they stay for though.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
The only jobs that offer decent hazard pay scales for a combat zone such as in AF will be combat related, i.e., military, and only by those militaries that can afford to pay, e.g., the US. However, if you work at AUA in Kabul, you will get zero hazard pay. In other words, you make the same as you would in say AUIS (in Kurdistan), but obviously with much worse living conditions. It doesn't take a genius to avoid that kind of deal, but people still teach English at AUA for that salary, not sure how long they stay for though.

Just because a worksite is in an unstable or volatile location, that doesn't automatically equate to salaries that necessitate danger pay. It depends on the employer and/or the contract or specific nature of the job.
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The point I was making was don't count on danger pay via the university route, only military related contracts. And skip AUA altogether since, for example, you could easily make the same money in Kurdistan at AUIS without all the risks.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know AUIS is without risks?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
The point I was making was don't count on danger pay via the university route, only military related contracts. And skip AUA altogether since, for example, you could easily make the same money in Kurdistan at AUIS without all the risks.

The salaries are not the same. AUAF, which requires a relevant MA, pays about $4000 US/mo., while the most recent ad for AUIS indicates a salary hovering around $2500 US/mo. (See http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=39846.)

Regardless, folks seeking top salaries should focus on beefing up their qualifications rather than look for opportunities in ambiguous and dangerous situations they're likely not suited for.
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
danshengou wrote:
The point I was making was don't count on danger pay via the university route, only military related contracts. And skip AUA altogether since, for example, you could easily make the same money in Kurdistan at AUIS without all the risks.

The salaries are not the same. AUAF, which requires a relevant MA, pays about $4000 US/mo., while the most recent ad for AUIS indicates a salary hovering around $2500 US/mo. (See http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=39846.)

Regardless, folks seeking top salaries should focus on beefing up their qualifications rather than look for opportunities in ambiguous and dangerous situations they're likely not suited for.

Based on that advert, maybe they have dropped the pay. Regardless, the pay quoted is tax-free, and the effective tax rate at $4k/mo in AF (without getting kidnapped) is 15%, and you will be on site 40 hours.

Like you said though, forget all that nonsense and just up your quals. And if you have to worry so much if a place is safe, then you probably shouldn't be going there to live and work, etc., especially if there's no extra money to offset the risk.

Last edited by danshengou on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: