Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coup?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Coup? Reply with quote

Guys, be safe! Hoping things will settle down in a positive way very quickly....meanwhile, take care and let us know how it's going.
talentedcrayon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They took my dog.
Dr X

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coup failed, thanks to the Turkish people, and to the chief commander Erdogan.
Turkey is a democratic country, no coup d'état anymore.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there's this: Turkey purges universities after failed coup. How has this impacted expat teachers, if at all?
sixthchild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an interesting question, one that also should be asked how would you feel coming to a country where so much turmoil is taking place?
I predict a severe shortage of native speakers for the next academic year!
misskismet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those at Gulen schools or universities, they've lost their job (eg Fatih University and countless others available to find on a long document).

For those at regular private schools, no changes on the surface.

For those at government universities, loss of summer break, signing in every day, unpleasant atmosphere, paper work to leave the country.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many questions. As far as the coup, there are a lot of conspiracy theories that seek to pin all the blame on the United States including blaming a former NATO commander who served in Afghanistan and is retired, so he wouldn't have had any real influence as a retired general, but people will eat up any story. The coup ended quickly not because of the people as claimed, but because the coup plotters had officers who claimed to be with them betray their secret to important people. They had to launch their operations in advance. They had a limited amount of troops, which wouldn't have intimidated so many people in a place like Istanbul. And knowing that they only represent a small percentage of the military, they knew they had to fold.

For the most part, foreign teachers have not been effected in terms of their jobs. Some, during the confusion, if they work at universities were told they had to come back from vacation. Then, they were told when they came back that it didn't apply to them. Seriously.

Foreign teachers who teach at universities or schools that had any connection to Gulenists lost their jobs. I'm not sure how many. However, I would say there's probably a shortage of expats. I know people are leaving, and not so many are replacing them. I see people selling their used stuff quite frequently. I'm not sure if that's just a coincidence.

I do not pretend to be a political expert on anything. I'm reporting my observations. I think for the most part things are okay for now, but the US Embassy has issued warnings. It has also cancelled the Fullbright program for Istanbul. So some teachers have lost secure positions. As we all know, there are many shady jobs out there, so I feel for those who lost those positions, which often would have helped them with their graduate studies.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I think it is fair to say that most xpats will not be effected too much by the recent events, however, quite a bit of uncertainty around that will make people understandbly nervous. The rally yesterday looked impressive, but how many people stayed away?
The other issue now to consider is, will the people of this country ask for the death penalty?
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Then there's this: Turkey purges universities after failed coup. How has this impacted expat teachers, if at all?

This is the real coup nomad soul. the actual coup was only a facad that led to the strengthening of dictator erdogan. the real coup is occurring right now subversively.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkish unis back at work
By Matt Salusbury, EL Gazette | November 2016
Source: http://www.elgazette.com/

Following July’s government purge of Turkey’s education sector, most of the fifteen universities closed by the government’s Higher Education Council have re-opened under new names, but some students are discovering that English-medium courses are now off the curriculum.

According to Turkiye Gazetesi newspaper, the government has created three new universities – Beykoz University in Istanbul, İzmir Bakırçay University and İzmir Democracy University – and changed the names of five re-opened universities.

Newsweek reported in September that students of the closed private sector Gediz University, at Cesme near Izmir, were homeless, unable to retrieve belongings from their sealed-off halls of residence. Bianet website in October interviewed Gediz students who’d been transferred to local public sector institution Dokuz Eylül University – one said that while at Gediz, “30 per cent of education was in English," their classes are now “100 per cent in Turkish.”

According to a Gazette source in the mostly ethnic Kurdish city of Diyarbakir (southeastern Turkey), September’s new school year started late as so many primary school teachers had been purged. Many Turkish academics elsewhere in the country are still out of work and are owed a lot of back-pay, according to another Gazette source. The British Council Turkey’s IELTS tests went ahead as planned.

(End of article)
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Turkish unis back at work
By Matt Salusbury, EL Gazette | November 2016
Source: http://www.elgazette.com/

Following July’s government purge of Turkey’s education sector, most of the fifteen universities closed by the government’s Higher Education Council have re-opened under new names, but some students are discovering that English-medium courses are now off the curriculum.

According to Turkiye Gazetesi newspaper, the government has created three new universities – Beykoz University in Istanbul, İzmir Bakırçay University and İzmir Democracy University – and changed the names of five re-opened universities.

Newsweek reported in September that students of the closed private sector Gediz University, at Cesme near Izmir, were homeless, unable to retrieve belongings from their sealed-off halls of residence. Bianet website in October interviewed Gediz students who’d been transferred to local public sector institution Dokuz Eylül University – one said that while at Gediz, “30 per cent of education was in English," their classes are now “100 per cent in Turkish.”

According to a Gazette source in the mostly ethnic Kurdish city of Diyarbakir (southeastern Turkey), September’s new school year started late as so many primary school teachers had been purged. Many Turkish academics elsewhere in the country are still out of work and are owed a lot of back-pay, according to another Gazette source. The British Council Turkey’s IELTS tests went ahead as planned.

(End of article)

Now, the IELTS is no longer accepted if you want to by-pass the prep year. And I think they got rid of some English programs to make things easier for themselves in terms of building universities. So many universities and schools have lost teachers with the purges. I'm not sure what those people can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: