Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie introduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reblair79

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Newbie introduction Reply with quote

Hi Guys. I've sent a few posts on various country forums with a few enquiries but I haven't introduced myself on the newbie forum yet.

I would like to know what other peoples first experiences were in the TEFL industry with reference to the aspects listed after my description. Also, I read that Spiral mentioned that many of the more experienced people may be potential employers, so it would be great to hear what anyone fitting that description thinks of my Open Degree that I gained with the Open Uni while working full time. How is it looked upon with you guys? Do overseas recruiters value it? Anyway, here is my description:

Nationality: UK/Scotland
Qualifications: BSc (Open)
Experience: 1 year TEFL assistant with local UK council. No other teaching exp. I also have 8 years customer service experience with major Bank and 6 years experience with Royal Navy.
Other: I will be taking a CELTA course in Vietnam soon (waiting on selling my house) and then I will stay to find work in that country.

Ok.. Here are the things I would love to hear your experiences of when you were starting out:

1. Arranging VISA's, police checks and other things such as insurance. What did you do and how did that all go?

2. Did you do your CELTA somewhere and then look for jobs afterwards in the same country or did you start off your career in another way?

3. What did you do for accommodation? e.g. did you contact the CELTA provider, stay in a hostel etc. and when did you arrange it? e.g. Did you just get off the plane and look for a place after an internet search back home, did you book somewhere in advance before you left home or something totally different?

4. What were the first things you did when you arrived in the new country and what were your emotions and thoughts?

5. Finally, is there anything you can think off that I have missed?

Well thanks for reading. I really appreciate any comments and I look forward to them coming in!

Raymond
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
I will be taking a CELTA course in Vietnam soon (waiting on selling my house) and then I will stay to find work in that country.

You definitely should also post this on the Vietnam forum if that's your target country for both your TEFL training and potential work opportunities. That would be more helpful to you than the hodge-podge of responses you'd get on this general forum. Besides, visa rules, costs of living, degree requirements, etc., vary from country to country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: