Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telling HMRC you are going away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reblair79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Telling HMRC you are going away Reply with quote

When going away to do TEFL, what is the process with regards to your tax and state pension for the UK?
reddevil79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of threads on this and everyone’s case is different, but basically you have to apply for Class 2 national Insurance Contributions for overseas workers. It took me a long time to persuade HMRC that I was eligible for Class 2 NICs and not Class 3 as they had insisted. This was partly due to the fact that all correspondence was by standard mail, so for someone living a fair distance away from the UK (Mexico in my case) it can be slow going as it takes so long to send and receive mail. I was in the UK for a short stay last year and managed to get things done quicker during that time (sending off contracts, payslips, etc.) Hopefully with the UK government switching more and more services online, future correspondence will be via email which makes far more sense for people living overseas.

If you’re planning to be work outside the UK for a year or two I wouldn’t worry too much as you can pay your NICs retrospectively for up to five years. If you’re planning on working more than that then, yes, I would contact HMRC and try to get things sorted as quickly as possible. We’re pretty lucky actually having this option open to us as Brits, my other non-Brit co-workers have often commented on what a good deal this is.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class 2 NICS are now abolished. You will have to pay Class 3 which are quite pricey.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consultation-on-abolishing-class-2-national-insurance-and-introducing-a-contributory-benefit-test-to-class-4-national-insurance-for-the-self-employed/the-abolition-of-class-2-national-insurance-introducing-a-benefit-test-into-class-4-national-insurance-for-the-self-employed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: