Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Global Language Centre (GLC) Has Collapsed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it fair to say that Indonesia as a whole has pretty much folded as a destination for 'native speaker' ESL teachers over the last couple years? As far as I'm aware [left 3 years ago but still have friends there...] most of the EF's are now populated by non-native speakers. The Nat+ schools [or whatever they are called now...] have gone down the same road with a few exceptions- the causes? Weak Rupiah, high demands from ministry in terms of qualifications needed that are 'specific' to the subject to be taught, ludicrous waiting time for Kitas to be processed, the whole JIS/ Neil Bantleman disgrace, no wonder people are looking elsewhere.... Confused
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Isn't it fair to say that Indonesia as a whole has pretty much folded as a destination for 'native speaker' ESL teachers over the last couple years? As far as I'm aware [left 3 years ago but still have friends there...] most of the EF's are now populated by non-native speakers. The Nat+ schools [or whatever they are called now...] have gone down the same road with a few exceptions- the causes? Weak Rupiah, high demands from ministry in terms of qualifications needed that are 'specific' to the subject to be taught, ludicrous waiting time for Kitas to be processed, the whole JIS/ Neil Bantleman disgrace, no wonder people are looking elsewhere.... Confused

I entirely agree with that characterization. The only thing I would add is that the debacle was to some extent premeditated. There was a degree of method to the madness. DIKNAS, the Ministry of Education, are well-known for their nationalist attitudes and they absolutely refuse to discuss any issue with a White face. They are xenophobic to Westerners and consider Westerners leaving Indonesia as a huge success. The Immigration Ministry has often appeared in the press boasting about how many foreigners have been driven out of the country in recent years.

If it was a European country, I guess you would describe many of these people as Far Right types. They see foreigners as a kind of invasive species who are best driven out. Demanding more qualifications etc. is just a cover to drive people out. You can see from the likes of ILC and Global Bahasa how good the local competition is. These schools are run by con-artists doing hit and run operations. The end result is an industry in a near terminal state of decline
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we'll just have to leave them to themselves. With a whole slew of Indonesians taking degrees in Islamic studies and wanting to learn Arabic, I don't see anything bright happening in the future. With the what appears to be a failing economy in China, tourism in Indonesia doesn't look like they can depend upon tourism from China.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
Well, we'll just have to leave them to themselves. With a whole slew of Indonesians taking degrees in Islamic studies and wanting to learn Arabic, I don't see anything bright happening in the future. With the what appears to be a failing economy in China, tourism in Indonesia doesn't look like they can depend upon tourism from China.

Sometimes religious intolerance and targeting of Westerners comes together in a sort of 'happy' coincidence. The latest police raids on Western bars, leading to the arrest of 19 expats, springs to mind. As the article indicates, some of these people had proper documents but were arrested anyway if they were carrying photocopies. They will still face stiff penalties. Those without KITASes presumably face worse penalties. I presume, considering the timing, right before the start of Ramadan, there was a religious angle to these latest raids. The authorities were probably incensed at nerve of Westerners daring to imbibe alcohol so close to Ramadan.

At 3am on the Sunday morning of June 5, the South Jakarta Immigration Office held another raid on the popular entertainment street of Blok M.

A total of 19 expats were arrested and taken to the Immigration office at Jl. Mampang/Buncit in South Jakarta. Among them were a few that possessed a copy of their KITAP and a KTP. So, what did these expats actually do wrong? Nothing, really!

They were only precautious and instead of carrying the original KITAP, used a laminated copy, as many expats do. Untitled4Nevertheless they were all arrested (because of not processing an original KITAP) and forced to complete a joyful evening in a depressing room at the Immigration Office – together with 18 others! As it was in the middle of the night and many were more or less in some state of lesser awareness, many fell asleep on the floor. An experience any expat will not forget easily.

The expats were asked to arrange someone to bring in their original KITAP. They did so the same morning after which they were allowed to go, but only under the strict notice that they had to present their passports the next (Monday) morning. As law abiding citizens, they did, but the ordeal was not over yet. They were interrogated and sent home to come back on Tuesday again. They were ordered to sign a police investigation report (BAP) and to come back again on Wednesday to discuss the fine.

http://indonesiaexpat.biz/other/info-for-expats/immigration-raids-on-expatriates/
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being arrested for not carrying the original?!! Hefty fine and/or imprisonment for not doing so?!! Many of us used to carry photocopies of the original document-specifically if we went out drinking because the cost of replacing it [the original] was so much.....something like 4-5 million Rp. Place is an absolute joke...... Rolling Eyes
godmachine12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Being arrested for not carrying the original?!! Hefty fine and/or imprisonment for not doing so?!! Many of us used to carry photocopies of the original document-specifically if we went out drinking because the cost of replacing it [the original] was so much.....something like 4-5 million Rp. Place is an absolute joke...... Rolling Eyes

Beyond a joke really. This nonsense is why you won't catch me out in Jakarta at the weekend. It's just not worth the hassle.
Tudor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

godmachine12 wrote:
Tazz wrote:

Beyond a joke really. This nonsense is why you won't catch me out in Jakarta at the weekend. It's just not worth the hassle.

That's a tad extreme. Granted, if you go anywhere with a cluster of bars and clubs and where foreigners tend to congregate (Kemang, Blok M, Jaksa) then I'd recommend taking original ID, but I can't see immigration raiding random bars across the city on the off chance of pulling in a foreigner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: