Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Anybody out there? Reply with quote

So what happened to all the 'bules' who used to teach here and post on this forum? Was there a mass exodus......or a gentle erosion over time? Crying or Very sad
jaybet3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking the same thing. Since I turned 55, I can't work in this country anymore so I'm moving onto China. The China board is way more active than this one.

I guess there's very few new teachers coming into the country because those are the usual questions.
Tudor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody out there? Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
So what happened to all the 'bules' who used to teach here and post on this forum? Was there a mass exodus......or a gentle erosion over time? Crying or Very sad

Tbf, I don't recall this forum ever having had much traffic since I joined in 2009 - there's often been weeks of inactivity. Likewise, the teachers' section on the main expat forum has never seen much action. Nevertheless, I think there's definitley been a 'gentle erosion' of teachers over the last couple of years...
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2009, there tended to be a whole new page of threads every 3-4 months. Now the current page goes back 2 years. So as a rough yardstick, I'd say we are seeing 1/6th the number of posts as we did 7 years ago in the Indonesian room.

Not surprising when you have the Manpower Minister of Indonesia on the front cover of the Jakarta Post this week warning foreigners not to come to Indonesia without the correct work documents. As this room has amply shown, the bureaucracy takes months or sometimes even a year to process your visa, meaning you are all but forced to work illegally by the very same authorities who warned you not to do so.

I would advise people to look elsewhere. Indonesia is more of a holiday destination unless you can get in at a good, safe private school (ie. not JIS).
Gajah Oling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:
I would advise people to look elsewhere. Indonesia is more of a holiday destination unless you can get in at a good, safe private school (ie. not JIS).

LOLs. If the PPP and PKS get their way this time and ban alcohol, Indonesia won't be much of a holiday spot for most bule.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:

Not surprising when you have the Manpower Minister of Indonesia on the front cover of the Jakarta Post this week warning foreigners not to come to Indonesia without the correct work documents.

Why bother coming to Indonesia with the correct working documents? The pay is so low in these demanding countries. What is the compensation for the cost of doing it legally? There is no compensation.
fshgrl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Bandung experience Reply with quote

I worked in Bandung for a year. I was promised a KITAS prior to employment but it never materialised. Immigration offices are not giving many KITAS atm. Recently, after I'd left the city, immigration visited the houses of foreigners living in Dago, and one EF teacher had his passport confiscated.

Is it worth working in Indonesia right now? Beautiful country, great kids. Shame about the immigration system.

You can always move here and teach Chinese kids online. Less hassle, same money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: