Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Prague/Czech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacannella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Prague/Czech Reply with quote

Hi all,

Leaving Saudi Arabia in November. Very Happy Off to Cambodia for a few months during winter, could be in Prague by March/April. I have an MA TESOL, an RSA/CELTA and 25 years teaching experience. My first teaching job was in Podebrady back in 1991-92. Since then I have taught in SE Asia, a bit in Central America and a fair amount, too much in fact, in Saudi Arabia/the Gulf. Now I am looking to settle, live and work where I can enjoy the place I am in, make a life (hopefully with my Filipino partner) and enjoy what I do. I have very fond memories of Czech and Prague (went back again in 2009 for a 6 week visit) and would like to know what sort of jobs and salaries would be available to a 50 year old American with my background. I hope to rent a decent 2 bedroom 60-80 sqm flat in the Zizkov/Vinohrady area. I am not looking for a luxurious lifestyle and I don't need to travel as I once did. Would be quite happy traveling around Central/South Eastern Europe on holiday. I am looking for a comfortable Prague lifestyle with the possibility of going back to New York once a year or every other year to see family and friends. A decent sized flat would make it cheaper for friends and family to see me in Prague since they could stay with me. I also have to figure out how to get my Filipino partner to Prague and what he can do there.

Jeff
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that your target area, Zizkov/Vinohrady, is quite popular and therefore, quite pricey. Plus, regardless of your qualifications, your financial goals need to be realistic (i.e., low, low, low) given the limited better jobs in the country. Sponsoring your partner isn't likely to happen. And if he doesn't speak Czech, he'll have a tough time finding employment.

Why not live in NY but visit the Czech Republic each year? Wink
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think this is going to happen. You MIGHT get a job going there as a singleton. Hoping to go there with a non-EU same-sex partner is simply unrealistic.
pioneer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Teaching in Prague/Czech Reply with quote

I was looking at teaching in Prague too, I have 10 years of experience in teaching English. I got quickly disappointed though once i found out more about EFL teachers salaries. I had a skype interview the other day with one of the Language schools in Prague and was provisionally offered 200czk an hour. With 20-25 hours weekly teaching i would make about 20000czk before tax. I found out that with this kind of money you cannot afford even 1 bedroom flat! I guess people mostly share accommodation when they come to teach in Prague, but that was not my idea. it's a shame that they need esl teachers but they pay so little! 200 czk equals about 8 US an hour. I think you'd be better off in NY! Smile).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Czech Rep is going the way of much of northern Europe - young people are being/have been taught English pretty well in state schools by qualified local teachers. The demand for native speakers is softening, and as Prague especially is a very popular destination, wages are weighted in favor of employers. Basically, they don't need 'you' all that much, to be honest.

It looks like all your prior experience is likely in Asia as well, pioneer. This would explain why you were offered the bottom end of the salary range - teaching in Asia vs. Europe is apples and oranges, and most language schools here are aware of that and are somewhat wary of teachers coming from Asia.

Also wonder what related qualifications you have - CELTA or equivalent is minimal here.
pioneer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a bit more clarification. Re my teaching experience, it was all in the UAE, but I don't think that was the reason for offering me that salary. The 'general salary for teachers ( 20000czk) was actually mentioned in the Guide to Living in Prague which was sent to me by that company prior to the interview. So I guess that's what they generally pay. I have CELTA and MA in TESOL and years of experience.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in that case, it's just that they don't have trouble finding adequate teachers at that salary.
EdRooney

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral, less than 24 hours ago you told me that a new teacher "out of the gate" in Prague can expect to start at 25,000czk. Teachers coming from Asia with 10 years experience are 20% less valuable than new teachers with no experience?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll recall that I said my 25,000 estimate was very approximate and that others here will have more current/better info. It's also true that pioneer has spoken only to one school, and the pay quoted sounds on the low end of the normal scale.

I have been around for a long time, as noted earlier, but I don't work in the language school world, so for me it's just hearsay from others.
EdRooney

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have made it clear that "current/better info" from people in "the language school world" was what I was looking for. Sorry about the confusion.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, uh, you're welcome. I'll sign off, then. Though this particular OP isn't exactly called EdRooney, is he.

Anyway, wishing you all the best when you arrive (if you do). I'm sure there will be many, many people who are eager to assist who fit your exact specifications and who won't be put off by your gracious and thankful manner either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: