Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunities to teach in Columbia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ham Sandwich

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Opportunities to teach in Columbia? Reply with quote

I posted these questions in the "Chile" forum and am adding it here to Columbia.

Hello and thanks for your time to read my question.

I've read threads about teaching English in Columbia.

I understand that it's be to be there, and networking is important.

Brief Background:

15 years teaching experience: kids, teens, GE, TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, study abroad programs in 3 countries.

IELTS Examiner in speaking and writing for almost 3 years.

*Caucasian/white male (sorry for ethnic but in some countries it's an issue).
*Age 46 (but people think I'm late 30s).
*BA + 1 TEFL cert
*Started MA Ed/TESOL years ago but stopped after 1 quarter b/c of cost and heavy theory in program (in the US).
*Privately taught mostly Korean children, teens, business people for 6 years as well as other nationalities.

Perhaps this is not relevant but I'm between B1/B2 in Spanish speaking, listening and reading.

I cannot / do not teach children anymore (ages 5-12), but can do all other ages.

1. Will I find work in Columbia in bilingual schools, language centers quickly? Universities? (Yes, I have savings)

2. Do privates take some time to find (I understand word of mouth, referrals and reputation are important.

My lifestyle: casual, local food, a couple of local beers a couple/few nights per week, and I am content with a clean studio apartment if necessary.

Reason for wanting to go to Columbia: I've been to Mexico, Central America and Columbia, Ecuador, and Peru, and like the culture. I spent a few days in Bogota 3 years ago.

Also, I've been in Asia a long time and a change would be interesting and new for me.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Opportunities to teach in Columbia?

Not many if you keep calling it "Columbia"...
Ham Sandwich

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty,

My bad. That was a mental mistake typo with the "u" from jet lag.

Please forgive me and I hope some folks can give some info.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally always answer this type of recurring question by stating that you really have to work to find a decent opportunity, and even then, I think you will be disappointed by the pay and conditions. This is especially true for someone with your background.

But I also always suggest that you can work online. The Internet is sufficient now in the larger cities. There is so much going online now and the pay will easily surpass what you can make in Colombia, especially with the insane current dollar exchange rate.

Here is a good list if you are interested and haven't seen it.

http://www.goodairlanguage.com/teaching-english-online-2/

Of course, the downside is the visa limitation. If you went tomorrow and played by the rules, you would be good to go until about the end of June 2017. By then you could look at other visas, networking to a better position, or doing what I do and take your show to another country.

I am out of country now. But enjoying Boquete and will likely do Nica soon until I likely return next year to Colombia.

Good luck!
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demand is huge in Colombia. Only question is can you find a job that pays decent? The answer is yes, but it'll take patience and time (aka meeting the right people).
Ham Sandwich

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
I personally always answer this type of recurring question by stating that you really have to work to find a decent opportunity, and even then, I think you will be disappointed by the pay and conditions. This is especially true for someone with your background.

But I also always suggest that you can work online. The Internet is sufficient now in the larger cities. There is so much going online now and the pay will easily surpass what you can make in Colombia, especially with the insane current dollar exchange rate.

Here is a good list if you are interested and haven't seen it.

http://www.goodairlanguage.com/teaching-english-online-2/

Of course, the downside is the visa limitation. If you went tomorrow and played by the rules, you would be good to go until about the end of June 2017. By then you could look at other visas, networking to a better position, or doing what I do and take your show to another country.

I am out of country now. But enjoying Boquete and will likely do Nica soon until I likely return next year to Colombia.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information, Jim.

Much appreciated.

Yes, it takes networking, persistence, a good attitude, and patience to find something decent.

As for pay, if I broke even for a couple to few months that would be OK. I'll bring savings to leave it it becomes necessary.

As for online teaching, thanks for the link, and yes online teaching is expanding more and more all over the world.

I am actually studying Spanish on "italki" with a great teacher from Bogota, Colombia at the moment. (Not the reason why I'm interested in teaching in Colombia.)

I've studied a couple of different languages with great one-on-one teachers.
in person.

My online lessons as a learner are just as productive, and of course I can study at my home with no commute, traveling, etc.

I'll check out your link.

Cheers, Jim.
Ham Sandwich

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PittsburghSound wrote:
Demand is huge in Colombia. Only question is can you find a job that pays decent? The answer is yes, but it'll take patience and time (aka meeting the right people).

Thanks Pittsburgh,

Yes, it does take what you note.

After sometime in one country, did my best, had a good attitude, and was turning work down from privates and schools.

It takes time and effort, as it should.

Thanks, Pitt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: