Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cracking down on Visa run to Singapore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demigod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Cracking down on Visa run to Singapore Reply with quote

I noticed that alot of schools are not giving out Kitas for whatever reason. I also noticed that many schools are not providing housing or the housing allowance is quite low. Now this.. I thought I left all of this behind in the Middle East.

What is exactly going on with Indonesia?

http://jakarta.coconuts.co/2016/09/15/warning-visa-runs-singapore-may-no-longer-be-safe-sacha-stevensons-friend-finds-out-hard

For some reason the video portion stopped working

Last edited by Demigod on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
jaybet3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the singapore run many times, but i usually stayed a few days (to get some high quality western food) and also used an agent at the Indonesian embassy.

this recent development is disturbing news and just adds to the growing list of reasons not to work in Indonesia.

Come to China instead. They're hungry for teachers and the pay is better.
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybet3 wrote:
I've done the singapore run many times, but i usually stayed a few days (to get some high quality western food) and also used an agent at the Indonesian embassy.

this recent development is disturbing news and just adds to the growing list of reasons not to work in Indonesia.

Come to China instead. They're hungry for teachers and the pay is better.

From what I understand, he was getting back-to-back tourist visas so he wouldn't have needed an agent. Yes it does add to the list of reasons to avoid Indonesia, but China? Some of the stuff I've been reading on here about the visa situation there doesn't make it sound any more appealing than Indoneisa tbh.
jaybet3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started a job in China and the visa process wasn't any more difficult than Indonesia.

At least so far .... I'm waiting for my resident permit which I should get at the end of the month, but the university where I work has handled the process and everything went smoothly.

Guess I got lucky with a legitimate place to work.

Also, they hire people 55 and older unlike Indonesia.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to hear..this same day visa trip used to be the norm. Surely, if you need to stay for a couple, or few days-Kuala Lumpur is a better destination now? Flights with Air Asia about the same price as Singapore...and plenty of cheap places to stay in Bukit Bintang!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

This "vicious cycle" aka "wild goose paper chase" is happening in many countries (and continents) where native speaking EFL teachers teach nowadays and not only in Indonesia...it is called the "New World Order For EFL Teachers"...compliments of the "powers that be"!! Evil or Very Mad
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Yes, let your country fall apart and take it out on Western teachers. ESL teaching is no longer tenable, get out. Actually ESL teaching in your own country might be a good possibility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: