Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Africa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: South Africa? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm thinking about where I would go to teach after China (think July next year). I previously enquired about the USA however I've been advised this is not an option.

Anyone know about teaching in South Africa? Either in a language school or at a real school? Cape Town would be marvellous.

Thanks,
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like with the USA, you'd be facing tremendous competition from native English speaking locals. And many many teachers obviously think Cape Town is marvelous - unless you have something really special to offer, this is unlikely to be an option.

Why not focus on somewhere you would not be facing impossible levels of competition?
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Like with the USA, you'd be facing tremendous competition from native English speaking locals. And many many teachers obviously think Cape Town is marvelous - unless you have something really special to offer, this is unlikely to be an option.

Why not focus on somewhere you would not be facing impossible levels of competition?

Yeah :-/ I want to go somewhere kind of western again, without resigning to just simply going home. The EU seems locked out as well, seems like they want EU passport holders only.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oztobeyond wrote:
I previously enquired about the USA however I've been advised this is not an option.

Anyone know about teaching in South Africa? Either in a language school or at a real school? Cape Town would be marvellous.

And you're likely to hit the same snag; finding a TEFL job in SA will be very challenging since English is one of the country's 11 official languages. Your competition will be multilingual S. Africans who likely have solid qualifications.

You'd mentioned on the N. American forum that you want to go back to school. Rather than studying in Oz, why not look into a degree program in the US, Canada, S Africa, or... ?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a job in Central or Eastern Europe. You are correct that Western Europe is not a viable option.

You could think of the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, other....the salaries are subsistence level and there are start-up costs, and it's most definitely not as easy as China, but at least it's a legal option and you wouldn't be competing with local native English speakers much.
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
You could get a job in Central or Eastern Europe. You are correct that Western Europe is not a viable option.

You could think of the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, other....the salaries are subsistence level and there are start-up costs, and it's most definitely not as easy as China, but at least it's a legal option and you wouldn't be competing with local native English speakers much.

But aren't those countries you listed members of the EU, and thus likely to want only EU employees? Unfortunately I'm stuck with my AUS passport.

It just occurred to me that I should look more closely at South America. A lot of places there are more 'Western' - Argentina, Brazil, Chile, etc.

I would consider studying abroad nomad soul, however income is a major consideration.

Thanks all,
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But aren't those countries you listed members of the EU, and thus likely to want only EU employees?

EU laws vary by country, and the ones I mentioned still hire non-EU citizens. Though they will prefer EU passport holders, there are still legal options. If you wanted more info on this, there are forums below.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oztobeyond wrote:
It just occurred to me that I should look more closely at South America. A lot of places there are more 'Western' - Argentina, Brazil, Chile, etc.

You need to be very realistic about the countries you're targeting. Don't rely on adventure or cultural interests alone. For example, Argentina is quite expensive and Brazil's economy has tanked.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

As a proud South African I must tell you that the pay for EFL teachers is quite low everywhere here...there are many, many qualified teachers looking for work around. You might try Joburg or Durban...its a beautiful resort city...Cape Town (my hometown) is quite expensive to live in. Ae careful if you come here....there are a lot of robberies and/or burglaries these days everywhere especially in the townships around our capital Johannesburg. Shocked
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: ADEC in the UAE Reply with quote

They've hired loads and loads of South African teachers.

UAE's great too.

It's about $5 to 6,000 and free housing I think.
Desert Dueller

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: South Africa Reply with quote

I don't think anyone with any sense of reality would consider moving to, or working in the "townships"....Robberies and burglaries, especially carjacking, are everywhere, especially in the old "white" suburbs. Btw, the capital of SA is Tswane, formerly known as Pretoria - not Joburg. Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason people still believe the old adage that "The World is Your Oyster". Simply not true. Large parts of the globe are NOT places where EFL teachers will get a job. South Africa is self-sufficient in teachers. The same is true of many other countries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: