Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries in Spain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Healer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Salaries in Spain Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
How can you guys survive with salaries in the lower 1000 Euros, knowing that you also have to paid for your apartment...?

Regards.
H.
Eric Paice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily. I know some serious party people who get by on 850 a month. I earn about 1,100 and it's more than enough for essentials and going out several times a week.
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to where you live as well doesn't it?

I'd love to live alone, but I don't think I'm going to be able to and save for fabulous holidays and future plans... Sad

I've been told that rents in the town I'm headed for are about 600 euro per month for a 3 bedroom. I'm guessing that makes a one bedroom about 300.
Whitney Davies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I agree with Eric, I make anywhere between 900-1150 euros a month, you can�t fix a monthly amount because most "academias" have this 24 hour rule which means if the client cancels the class within 24 hours, then the class is not paid and " teach " doesn�t get paid for that class.

If the student cancels less than 24 hours, you get paid without giving the class. It really isn�t that bad and with my pay, I live in quite a nice area of Madrid, sharing with 2 other teachers.

With my monthly pay, I have seen a lot of European cities to date, I�ve been back home once (I�ve been in Madrid 1 year and 6 months) and my weekends are kinda lively Cool .

One thing to remember teaching is a profession one doesn�t get into for the money! But when it comes to finding a job that will give you the opportunity to live in different countries, see other cultures, not get tied down to a 2 week holiday for a year and earning reasonable wages as well, I�ll give the thumbs up to the life of an English teacher.

You see I came to Madrid to do my TEFL certificate, my school got me working I think 2 days after finishing the course and the rest is history. I am also teaching private clients now so that ups my monthly as well.

Happy travels!

Whitney
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Paice wrote:
Easily. I know some serious party people who get by on 850 a month. I earn about 1,100 and it's more than enough for essentials and going out several times a week.

where do you live? In Madrid, your rent will be a minimum of 300 euros per month (this is for a flatshare, certainly not your own place)

sure you can party...but saving money and partying all the time will be difficult

but i suppose that wasn't the OP's question....yes you can get by with that money but after a while you'll need more if you want to save any money
Victoria Morley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Salaries in Spain? It all depends on your priorites! You can survive on less than 1000 euros monthly, I do. Sometimes I wish I can shop more but between a 9-5 job back in London and teaching English for maybe a year or two in Spain, I�ll stick it out here for awhile! You see teaching buys you some flexibility because I want to do so many things which I know I can�t fit into a 9-5 job back in The City! ie: travelling when I please, not working 9-5, Monday to Friday, day in and day out.

Yes, you teach everyday but there are certain hours when you don�t teach as your students are working, ie: 11-2, or maybe 5-7. I use my free time to be a "tourist", see my friends, many of them teachers as well and really just relax. Maybe because I�ve worked early in the 9-6 rat race that I need to chill out a bit. Oh well, to each his/her own!

All the best,

victoria.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: