Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how much can you make in thailand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lugubregondola

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: how much can you make in thailand Reply with quote

I'm in korea but it's a bit boring here. Can you make the same amount of money in thailand as korea? About 2.3m won a month
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: how much can you make in thailand Reply with quote

lugubregondola wrote:
I'm in korea but it's a bit boring here. Can you make the same amount of money in thailand as korea? About 2.3m won a month

Unless you are a certified teacher you would start off at about 1/2 that (30-40k thb (970k-1.3m krw)).
After you have been here for a while you can network into something better but EFL teachers almost never earn more than 1.6m krw.
It is more about who knows you rather than what you know.

IF you are a certified teacher on the other hand and have experience in CIE or IB curricula then 85-130k thb (2.7m-4.2m krw) is in the ballpark. Higher numbers for math/science teachers rather than EFL.

Work in Korea and party in Thailand or the Philippines.
If you want some excitement in your life then look to China or Turkey.

mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I know a teacher who works in Japan but has a house in rural Thailand.
Spend your vacation there, but work elsewhere.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Yes it is possible to make as much here in the Land Of Smiles as in Korea teaching English....and much more... Shocked
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
To The OP,

Yes it is possible to make as much here in the Land Of Smiles as in Korea teaching English....and much more... Shocked

While it may be possible, it is most certainly not the norm.
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
To The OP,

I don't know what the motivation of EFL Educator is to post what I consider misinformation, but there it is.

If Korea pays typically $865 US a month (Not including visa expenses) then, yeah, they are similar. Typical wage is 30,000 Baht a month. Some places pay as little as 25,000 Baht per month and do NOT include the cost of work permits nor 'visa runs'. Most places cover work permits but not visas.

However, according to XE.com, 2.3 Million Korean won is $2,084 per month.

You make $1,219 US more per month in Korea than the typical teacher in Thailand. As much? Really EFL Educator? Possible? So is winning the lottery.

Certainly rent and Thai food are cheaper here, but in general, you aren't going to be living the life of Riley here.

If I wasn't married to a Thai woman, I'd be teaching English in Japan, Korea or might even hold my nose and teach in Saudi Arabia.

Thailand is a great place to vacation, or retire, but certainly not making money teaching English.

I'm sure that more than 30,000 Baht is possible, but certainly not typical. Just as I expect more than 2.3 Million Won is possible in Korea, but probably not typical.

Last edited by Willy_In_Japan on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stated, and I can add that many want to move to Chiang Mai, where 25k is becoming the new norm. I live thereon a retirement extension, but will actually consider China or work, but there seems to be too much of paperwork hell there, also. Make them pay first.....
bograt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I wasn't married to a Thai woman, I'd be teaching English in Japan, Korea or might even hold my nose and teach in Saudi Arabia.

Just curious but does she know that you could be making three times as much teaching in Korea and she doesn't want to go there? Has she got a great job in Thailand?
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
Quote:

Just curious but does she know that you could be making three times as much teaching in Korea and she doesn't want to go there? Has she got a great job in Thailand?

She's Thai and we have a house here and a car.....despite not making a ton of money, we have enough to live on. We considered moving back to Japan for a while, but decided against it. The cost of living in Japan hasn't gone down, but the wages sure have. It seems to be the case right across the industry.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Thailand for a number of years. By the time I left I was making 60-70k a month, but that was hard work.

Left over four years ago for Saudi with my Thai wife and kids. Never looked back. Now earning 200k+ a month with free accommodation and no bills.

As others have said, holiday in Thailand and work somewhere else. We still have a house there.

Depends on your financial situation of course, but if you want to make money and save for your future, then Thailand is the wrong place to be.

I wish I'd left years before I did looking back. Who wants to wake up at fifty having spent years working for 30k a month, or even 50-60k.

Thailand is for before you're 30, and after you're 60. Don't mean to sound harsh, but just some observations I've made over the years. Married for 12 of them btw.
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'm on the wrong side of 50 and last year I tried to get a job in Japan.

I'm more qualified than EVER but I couldn't land a job. I can only imagine that it is age discrimination.

I'd go to Saudi, but I'm not really religious (read none) and I really don't think it is the place for me. However, the pay I've heard you can make is quite attractive.

Pay in Thailand sucks. And, what is worse, is that they won't issue work permits here after age 60. That has me looking for online solutions for teaching.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solutions for you are get a teaching license and teaching in your home country or get some computer science experience and do computer work. You can do computer science work online as well, and you will actually get paid good money unlike being scammed by online ESL companies.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to leave Japan by next year. Things have gotten worse.
I think China is a better option, and don't think age matters as much.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In China age matters a little, but there is no abominable age cutoffs.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Let us know how things have worked out for you here in the "Land Of Smiles'....hopefully you have secured that rewarding position you were searching for here...and are earning the same money as in Korea. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: