Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Native Tongue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg444201

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Native Tongue Reply with quote

Hi fellow teachers,

I just finished my contract here at the Ibague branch of Native Tongue and I wanted to post something on here for prospective teachers. I'm only giving my own opinion in regards to the pro's and con's so somethings may or may not be issues for you and ultimately of course it's your choice. Now, I started my contract January 2016 and finished the 9th of September ( it was supposed to go until the end of November just fyi) below I'll list the pro's and con's in my experience here....

Pro's: Colombia is an AMAZING country I've been here 4 times before and have enjoyed it more and more each time I come here, Ibague is a smaller city surrounded by mountains and Ibague is a valley and the weather is hot in the summer. The people are amazing and the ladies in the office are some of the best I've ever worked with in any of the 6 countries I've worked in. They pay on time every time so there's no BS when it comes to payday. The classes and students are awesome, without a doubt the best students I've had. All of the teachers this year have been AMAZING as well so the work environment was always fun. You get 2 days off Sunday and Monday. The new building just opened in August and it's pretty nice. They pay for your work visa along with the travel to Bogota to get it done.

Con's: when I was in asia we had 2:15 classes which I dreaded at the time, here you have some 4 hour classes mostly on Saturdays which is way too long, but again it's my opinion. The books used here are simple,but contain errors. Doing lesson plans is not an issue, but then having to also put those lesson plans on the gmail drive and doing attendance as well and grades on the drive is a bit much. Now, the pay..if you have worked in Latin America before then you already know..but if you have worked in other areas around the world this is not going to be good for you. The pay is a base salary of 700,000 pesos for 70 hrs per month, but you are expected to work way more at the same rate of pay 10,000 per hour (about $3) they call it "OT" but it's not it's just extra time really. The owner is Canadian, but he's never there I think I've seen him 2 times in the 8 months I was here (it's better that way in my opinion trust me), the schedule changes way too often and it's never asked if you can take this or that class it's basically forced on you. There's no bonus structure to reward teachers financially here which would help a lot, you get a bonus in June and December which is the law for anyone working in Colombia, but it's not really a bonus it's just a percentage of your total hours worked after 6 months which doesn't even equal a months normal base pay.

Well that's about it just wanted to give some feedback about the school so you can make your own decisions if offered the job.
LaLaDivina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$10,000 per hour is low! But then again you are living in a pretty small town. I used to live in Armenia and when I was interviewing I got offered $8,500 and $9,000 per hour. I laughed at that shit and moved to Medellin. I've been working for an institute here for one year now and get paid $29,310 per hour. Obviously Medellin is a more expensive city, but I really have to laugh at the pitiful rates that small towns across Colombia offer. It's insulting. The con is that I have a prestacion de servicio contract so I have to pay my own prestaciones sociales whereas you get yours paid for so you're saving a bit of change there.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making $24,000 COP per hour here at a language institute in Bucaramanga. Comes out to about 2.2 million a month after deductions for healthcare and the like. I'm sharing an apartment with some locals I met here and only paying 350,000 a month for rent in one of the better neighborhoods in the city. No complaints from me at all. Easy job with good pay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: