Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do TEFLs expire?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alonzo9772

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Do TEFLs expire? Reply with quote

I earned my 150 hour TEFL, and I am wondering, does there get to a point when an employer looks at the date of the TEFL and reject it if it is too old?

The entire process of earning the TEFL took me two weeks, so it's not really that it's extremely difficult to get, but it's just very time consuming. Especially when it comes to the essay questions, and I am waiting for the tutor to grade it.

By the way, I am planning on being an ESL teacher in China. Have you ever heard of a Chinese manager having high TEFL standards? I would guess not...
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't so much the qualification expiring but the possible delaying of gaining any actual experience that will count against you. Mind you, if you leave it years and years then people might well ask why you took a qualification in a field you were in no apparent rush to enter. Anyway, if it really is or becomes an issue I'm sure there are shorter refresher courses around.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alonzo, you've apparently taken a cert that didn't offer any actual teaching practice; its' likely going to be sufficient for China, but won't be accepted in much of the world, regardless of how recent (or old) it may be.

The international standard for entry-level certification is 120+ hours on-site, and including at least 6 hours of actual supervised teaching practice with real students (not peer trainees). CELTA, SIT TESOL, and Trinity offer these, and there are some generic equivalents around as well.

In any case, as you say you're going to China, it's unlikely to be a problem, unless you want to move on to a more competitive job market somewhere else later.
alonzo9772

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Alonzo, you've apparently taken a cert that didn't offer any actual teaching practice; its' likely going to be sufficient for China, but won't be accepted in much of the world, regardless of how recent (or old) it may be.

In any case, as you say you're going to China, it's unlikely to be a problem, unless you want to move on to a more competitive job market somewhere else later.

I only plan on being an ESL teacher in China. The only other country that I have a passion for living in is Korea because I used to be an exchange student there. However, honestly, I had problems there...Korean people are overly-patriotic of their things. They consider it rude to ask for a fork or to ask for the food to not be spicy.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alonzo9772 wrote:
I only plan on being an ESL teacher in China. The only other country that I have a passion for living in is Korea because I used to be an exchange student there. However, honestly, I had problems there...Korean people are overly-patriotic of their things. They consider it rude to ask for a fork or to ask for the food to not be spicy.

Okay... Being cognizant of one's personal biases/ethnocentrism and learning to quash such thoughts are key if you expect to have a balanced work/life abroad as an EFL teacher. Otherwise, you waste a lot of time and energy nitpicking about every little thing that annoys you about China, its people, your coworkers, your life, yada yada.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: