Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ensure vs Insure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kebo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Ensure vs Insure Reply with quote

We, the members of the Mod Team, try very hard to insure this is a place where everyone can come, enjoy themselves, make friends and learn about the teaching profession and what it has to offer in the many different and exciting countries in the world. All the Moderators are experienced teachers with several years of both teaching and moderating experience. We appreciate good, healthy and civil discussions and hope that you will contribute to them and enjoy your time at Dave�s ESL Cafe.

I have always thought only 'ensure' could be used in the instance above. I'm not trying to be a whinger (I'm assuming that the MOD Team is correct and I'm misinformed) but since i gave my ESL books away, it drives me crazy not knowing. It's Karma for Photocopying Raymond Murphy's book instead of buying it all those years ago.

Someone please set me straight?
phis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Your challenging the mod team? Be careful!
Llamalicious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your? Smile
parrothead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both can be used, as the MOD squad no doubt already know. They just happen to lean American in their spelling...
guruengerish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: insure? Reply with quote

I was always taught that you pay a premium to insure your valuables, you also pay for an assurance policy, and you must ensure that you pay on time.

The difference, I'm told between insurance and assurance is that 'insurance' is "IF" and 'assurance' is WHEN.

Speaking of spelling differences and also odd words, I read the other day in a US article on the web, where the cat 'drug' in a dead mouse.

It turns out that this is correct usage, for the 17th century, so there's a relic.
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

Quote:
It's Karma for Photocopying Raymond Murphy's book instead of buying it all those years ago.

Why didn't you keep the photocopied book?

It should read ensure NOT insure. The Mods all teach in EF, so what do they know?
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm inclined to say that the correct word is "ensure" in the context of the quoted passage.

http://englishinfocus1.googlepages.com/Assure_Ensure_Insure.htm
http://www.accu-assist.com/grammar-tips-archive/GrammarTip_homophone-potpourri-3.htm
nyxredus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at their spelling they are quite similar to each other where they are only different from one another due to a few letters. But for the sake of proper word usage it is best to clarify the differences between these three words.

http://writersopt.com/ensure-vs-insure-vs-assure/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: