Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Rashad British Private School and Mr. Kabir Mohamed Ali

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lisalisa_23452

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Al Rashad British Private School and Mr. Kabir Mohamed Ali Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this school in Ras al Khaimah, UAE? I was offered a position teaching ESL and I can't seem to find any information about the school or the "head master"...the website looks shabby and thrown together with many of the words spelled wrong but I don't know if its all due to the translation or what. Thanks, everyone.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you were never interviewed. Regardless, pass on this one, especially given the school's flaky, poorly-written ad. That monthly salary of 20,000 AED is another red flag that this is a scam. Seriously... for the requirements, not only do you "must love students." you'll also need to have a "genuine love for all students". Yet, apparently experience and a degree aren't needed per the following from their ad: Razz

Quote:
This is to notify you that we are urgently seeking for experience ESL Teachers to teach in AL Rashad British Private School. Location of this job is Ras Al Khaimah-United Arabic Emirate; date of this offer is October 2016.

Benefits:
Monthly Salary is 20,000 AED•
Bonus•
Medical insurance•
Paid holiday•
School lunch•
Transportation from city center•
Accommodation

Requirements for all Foreign Teachers:
• Fluent English speaker
Must be on campus during 8:00-3:30 Mon-Fri•
Must love Students. The act of teaching must have an outgoing personality, good interpersonal relations, patience, and have a genuine love for all students. -

More red flags per their website (I guess this British school doesn't hire native speakers):

Quote:
Vision of the school:
To be the best choice for any parent who seeks to achieve the best educational service for his/ her children.

Message of the school: Providing an outstanding academic service which suits all the levels of society. Training the experienced & new teaching cadres as well as developing their performance to achieve our vision in the year 2016.

Aims
1. Enhancing and Enriching the curricular and cross curricular Activates.
2. To make the student the star and the major of the learning process.
3. Raising the school grades up to grades twelve (12).

veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the scam thread above. This is an obvious scam.

VS
bharms85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Rashad Reply with quote

I have also applied for a job here through eslemployment.com and received a reply within a day, an interview a day after that, and approval along with a promised 2-year contract the following day. I don't have the contract yet, but I will see about posting in in the thread if I do, indeed, receive it.
The Skype interview (audio only) was conducted by an Indian gentleman who was still awake and available to conduct interviews at 0030 UAE time. It involved some standard interview questions, ie what is one of your weaknesses, what would your coworkers say about you (which I had in my cover letter already), how would you deal with disciplining your students, and what kind of person do you not enjoy working with? He replied to all my answers, "very good" and at the end, "you gave great answers."
I have no qualifications for teaching children, the school is grades 1-7, and only have limited experience tutoring school kids for exams and such. I have a BA in Arabic Studies, a CELTA, and have been teaching adults for about eight years.
I was very surprised that the process went so smoothly and, citing my CV and limited experience with children, was also very surprised that they want to hire me.
Scam?
bharms85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Rashad Contract! Scam??? Reply with quote

October 9th 2016

EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT LETTER

This contract of employment is entered into between AL Rashad British Private School and

MY NAME on English Language Teaching position Employment under the terms and conditions of

employment below.

Position and Section Employed: You have been offered the position of English Language Teacher in

junior classes; their age is between 10-14 years, 25 students in each class.

Our Job offer is subjected to the following terms and conditions:

1. Period of contract shall be for two (2) years from the joining date, it is renewable contract.

2. You will be on probationary for a period of six (6) months from the date of joining. In case your

services are not found satisfactory, your service will be terminated.

3. Your monthly salary package is (AED: 20,000)* Dirham. Your salary will be paid directly into your

bank account every on the 27th of each month.

Commencement of Employment and working days: 1

st of November, 2016 until either party

terminates the contract. You will be working seven (7) hours daily, five (5) hours teaching hour and 2

hours for office hour. You will be working Sunday to Thursday, Friday’s and Saturday’s off days.

Holidays: You are entitled to Paid: •Vacation/School break holiday • Public holidays • Ramadan Holiday

You will be entitled for 14 days paid holiday for Christmas and New Year, 20th of December to 4th of

January. Return flight ticket will be provided every year and at the end of your contract with us.

Maternity Benefits: You are entitled to maternity leave and maternity leave pay according to the

provisions of the Employment Ordinance/terms and condition.

Paternity Benefits

• You are entitled to paternity leave and paternity leave pay according to the provisions of the

Employment Ordinance/terms and condition.

Sickness Allowance

• You are entitled to sickness allowance according to the rules regulation of our School under the

following circumstances:

• If the number of sickness days taken is 5 days or below, an appropriate medical certificate in support

of the sick leave is not required.

• If the number of sickness days taken is 10 days or more, an appropriate medical certificate in support

of the sick leave is required.

Free Accommodation: You will reside at AL Rashad British Private School residential building for a

period of two (2) years, whereby the management would be to take care of your accommodation. Your

apartments is well furnished and arranged, your apartment has Washing responsible machine,

Furniture, TV set, Refrigerator, Internet access, Kitchen items and Electricity/water supply.

Medical Insurance: Health insurance will be provided for you and your family free of charge.

*Group life and Group Personal Accident Insurance Coverage.

Working documents: As non U.A.E Citizen, you need Two (2) years Employment working Visa,

Emirates ID card Teaching certificate and Flight ticket.

Processing and traveling expenses: You will in cure all the processing fees/traveling expenses

including your working documents charges and get reimbursed after your arrival.

AL Rashad British Private School and (Mod edit) hereby declare that they understand thoroughly the

above provisions and agree to sign and abide by the provisions/terms and conditions. You will send us a

copy of signed employment contract letter for future reference.

Signature of Employee

Signature:_________________________

Date:______________________________

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Contract comment for forum master Reply with quote

I hope it's appropriate and legal to post the contract. I am new to the forum. If it isn't I will remove it, refrain from posting contracts in the future, and apologize for doing so. Let me know.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bharms85 wrote:
The Skype interview (audio only) was conducted by an Indian gentleman who was still awake and available to conduct interviews at 0030 UAE time. It involved some standard interview questions, ie what is one of your weaknesses, what would your coworkers say about you (which I had in my cover letter already), how would you deal with disciplining your students, and what kind of person do you not enjoy working with? He replied to all my answers, "very good" and at the end, "you gave great answers."

I was very surprised that the process went so smoothly and, citing my CV and limited experience with children, was also very surprised that they want to hire me.
Scam?

Okie-dokey, but what questions did you ask the guy and what were his responses?

Quote:
Working documents: As non U.A.E Citizen, you need Two (2) years Employment working Visa, Emirates ID card Teaching certificate and Flight ticket.

Processing and traveling expenses: You will in cure all the processing fees/traveling expenses including your working documents charges and get reimbursed after your arrival.

Bleh. "In cure?" A poorly-written contract to go along with their equally-bad website. And yet, English is widely spoken in the UAE, especially for business and commerce and in education. Go figure.

Anyway, legit employers generally handle the flight and visa up front, so don't be surprised if you are told you need to send X amount of money to someone in "immigration." So if for some reason you're still seriously considering their offer, get those details now.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother if I were you. That salary 20,000 AED (4400 GBP/5400 USD) per month for a position that requires zero to minimal qualifications is a huge red flag. That was about the starting wage a few years back for university prep year teachers with TESOL-related MAs and several years of experience (exclusive of employer-provided housing, visa costs, flights). Your qualifications wouldn't net anything near that salary at any of the established international schools. In fact, the better schools that pay about that level expect to see a teaching license/certificate from the US/UK/Canada... along with several years' k-12 teaching experience from your home country and a degree specific to the subject you teach.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that the forum would care about posting a contract here, but a legitimate employer might. LOL

Same as NS, I still find this highly suspicious. As she said, the salary is too high for someone with no related qualifications or experience.

Quote:
Emirates ID card Teaching certificate

Whatever the heck this is... never heard of it here. I know that the UAE government has put in a lot of new regulations for teachers in government schools and universities. Your credentials would NOT pass government requirements. I don't know if these rules extend to private schools.

I too am convinced that this is a scam. If you continue this application and they ask you to pay ANY money to anyone, that will confirm it. The employer must supply the visa before you leave at their expense... and a ticket.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no telling if/when those visa and flight expenses would be reimbursed... Razz

Given the minimal requirements, the school could have easily hired a native-English speaker already in country with UAE residence status rather than recruit from abroad. Duh.
bharms85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: thanks for the help Reply with quote

My next move tomorrow morning is to ask about:

If they would reconsider paying for the flight?
How do I get the visa in their opinion?
If I can talk with a teacher employed there currently?
blah blah

I'd like to see how far I can take this before they ask for money, which I know very well not to give.

I'm happy that I found this post and I'd like to thank you two especially for the help and speedy responses.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, apply for legit jobs with realistic salaries. If you're adventurous, check out the British Council and AMIDEAST in Egypt and Morocco.
lisalisa_23452

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks for the help Reply with quote

bharms85 wrote:
My next move tomorrow morning is to ask about:

If they would reconsider paying for the flight?
How do I get the visa in their opinion?
If I can talk with a teacher employed there currently?
blah blah

I'd like to see how far I can take this before they ask for money, which I know very well not to give.

I'm happy that I found this post and I'd like to thank you two especially for the help and speedy responses.

bharms85, did you every get a reply back from your questions, I'm really curious?

I too had a skype interview with Kabir "Mohamed Ali" he asked me the same questions more or less, he even sent me pics of my "accommodations." I felt the same way afterwards, like, wow, that was easy, he even sent me the same contract to sign...I told him that I wanted him to pay for my visa (working documents) and my flights...he replied back that he would pay 50% of my flights...I replied back that I insist upon my previous request that my visa and flights be paid for by him as that is the only way I would take this position and low and behold, I haven't heard back from him. Not a peep. Interesting.

I did a quick google search and found a guy who got taken for 5k by this guy...jeez.

Employers should always pay for work visas and we should never have to send money to get them, if someone asks or its in the contract then you know its a scam.
bharms85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: contact with school Reply with quote

I continued contacting the school until the point where they wanted me to send money to a travel agency for the visa and airfare. I was stubborn and continued to ask him questions after he sent the contract, but before signing it. It's a scam. Period.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the 'washing responsible machine' should be the final red flag in the advertisement..... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: