Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Semi-newbie looking for career advice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shegross

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Semi-newbie looking for career advice! Reply with quote

Hi everybody~

I'm new to these forums, and was hoping for some advice on how to proceed to build an ESL career based on what I have already. Some info about me:

- Canadian, female, age 29, single, no kids (I also have no desire to get attached and hope to lead a fairly pariepatetic life)
- Completed 2 teaching contracts in South Korea through EPIK back in 2009-2011 teaching at elementary schools. I already contacted my POE to get a record of those two years, and it's on the way. I don't have any written reference letters from my co-teachers, but we had good relationships and I have their contact information.
- I have an Honours BA in Psychology with a double minor in Linguistics and French. I also have a Master's of Science (my area of specialization is in cognitive psychology, but the degree itself just states Master's of Science). My academic background is centred around applying for Speech-Language Pathology in Canada. If I don't get into SLP grad school right away, I plan to go back to teaching overseas both to bolster my SLP application, to build an ESL teaching career, and to hopefully save some money.
-I have a TEFL (100 hours) from ITTT, which was sorted out through the recruiter I used to go overseas the first time (Footprints). The parchment doesn't have the word 'online' anywhere on it, but I would guess it's not considered legit.
-I'm looking into getting a CELTA so that I start accruing post-CELTA experience (there's a centre in Calgary right near where my brother lives), and am interested in gaining teaching experience for different age ranges, etc. and possibly considering doing a DELTA, YL extension if my overseas stint goes on for any length of time while I work on getting into grad school.
- I have a lot of experience (5+ years) tutoring for several organizations on campus (disabilities resources, First Nations, student life service) and can provided references for these if needed (I'm not sure how interested any employers would be in this)
-I'm not picky about which country as long it's safe for a lone woman
-my long-term goal is to become a Speech-Language Patholgist who is also an ESL teacher so that I have the flexibility of both and the two paths can build on each other. If this means getting an MA in TESOL, I'm fine with that. I'm also comfortable going back to Korea, if need be. My two years there had some difficulties along the way (just like everything in life), but I left there happy with my experience
-a friend of mine whom I met in Korea is in Vietnam now working for the British Council. He seems quite happy working and living in there. He and I are much the same in our belief that the standard (North) American Dream is BS. I'm not interested in mortgages, accruing possessions, etc.
-I was recently working in the oil field, but was deeply unhappy. The crashing of the price of oil was just what I needed to kick me in the butt to start working on a life I want rather than just existing and being bought off by money while my health declines

I would appreciate any advice on how best to use what experience I have now and how you would go about building a ESL career if you were in my shoes. Thanks in advance~~
santi84

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My honest thoughts are that you would be far better off getting an ESL/phonological support position within a major Canadian school district. The pay isn't terrible (some major city districts, like Calgary Board of Education, offer up to $30+/hour for FT positions). You would get hands-on practice doing speech therapy support and network with SLPs. The majority of SLP practice in Canada (for ESL) will be with children. If you can do French immersion or francophone districts, even better.

I did this for a few years (b, and only recently moved back to college-level. I know that doesn't really answer the question about teaching abroad, but it's a very solid alternative plan.
shegross

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I never even considered that--thank you! I'll definitely be looking into it. Would you mind my PMing you about your experience?
santi84

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shegross wrote:
Wow, I never even considered that--thank you! I'll definitely be looking into it. Would you mind my PMing you about your experience?

Sure, go ahead! I'm in Alberta.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Semi-newbie looking for career advice! Reply with quote

Given how saturated and inconsistent the global TESOL market has become, I'm in agreement with santi84. In fact, focusing more on the special needs area of speech language pathology will make you versatile as well as a very attractive candidate to local k-12 schools in Canada and overseas international schools since this niche is hard to fill.
shegross

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate your honest opinion~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: