Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arabian Gulf University

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEFOFF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Arabian Gulf University Reply with quote

Another inquiry about a university job advert, popping up on a rival website, this time AGU. I searched for some information on here about it, but there's just one dedicated topic to it, a long time ago, nothing much up-to-date. If anyone on here has worked there, or has any information specifically salary and holidays, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Native Level English teaching professionals to provide English language instruction to these students. The preferred start date would be 16th December but this may be negotiated. Contact hours may be up to 20 per week. Instructors will also have regular office hours during which they are expected to counsel students on their English work, mark scripts and develop teaching materials. Teachers may also be asked to proof read university documents.

[b]Details of Position[/b]
English Language Instructors: 2016/17
The Arabian Gulf University provides medical training for students from GCC countries and is currently seeking native English teaching professionals Please send CV and scans of your qualifications and letters of experience to Head of Personnel Department.

[b]Qualifications[/b]
An MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics or an MEd is essential, and a PG Diploma in English Language teaching is desirable. A minimum of 3 years’ experience at tertiary level is preferred along with experience of teaching Arab students. Knowledge of teaching IELTS or a medical background would be an advantage but is not essential.

[b]Salary and Benefits[/b]
A 12 month tax free salary along with other benefits is offered to the successful candidates based on qualifications and experience. There is an annual leave allowance of 60 calendar days + Bahraini public holidays.
teacherman73

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind

Last edited by teacherman73 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're American, the State Department's English Language Fellow Program lists AGU as one of its projects.
teacherman73

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind

Last edited by teacherman73 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only plus is that it looks good on the CV, and can break you into a similar network like the BC network... and eventually get the better jobs with both organizations.

VS
i did it for love

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Dear All! Reply with quote

This is my first time posting on these forums.

I live and teach in Bahrain and I have met a few people who have been at AGU over the past couple of years. I feel obliged to comment, and I hope it helps.

The turnover is high, not just because of salaries but also due to frequent student complaints and lack of support for instructors. The communication and organisation is chaotic, although the department has only about ten members at any given time. I heard that a couple of people in the last year or so were eventually hospitalised due to the stress of working there, so please be careful.

I think it is best avoided- certainly do not allow yourself to be lured here from abroad. But as mentioned above, if you are desperate to get out of Saudi and can agree to take a low salary in a place with a high cost of living, it could be an option.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahrain is a much more expensive place to live in than Saudi over that Causeway. Notice too that the ad specifies "Native LEVEL".

Bahrain has a thin veneer of Liberalism but is in truth a nasty Police State with British and Baluchi "enforcers".

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacherman73 wrote:
Yes, if you're American you can teach through that program and make about half the salary (as a stipend) of the other teachers in the univ. doing almost exactly the same job. You also get to live in some student dormitories down near the BIC racetrack. BUT, you get the satisfaction of knowing you are keeping the British Council from exercising a complete monopoly on English in Bahrain.

Those teachers are making US$60,000 a year?

teacherman73 wrote:
Salaries seem to range between 1100-1500 BHD/month

...oh, maybe not.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1150&From=BHD&To=USD

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1500&From=BHD&To=USD

twowheel
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think twice before taking a job in Bahrain -
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102410&highlight=henderson&sid=7b7e603d67f7b9636fd563c8049a25e0

Behind that westernised façade is a police state every bit as oppressive as others in the region. I worked in KSA for years but that place has no pretence of being an enlightened progressive regime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: