Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New International Teacher Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdgoliath

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: New International Teacher Questions Reply with quote

Hello, i hope this new thread finds you all well.

I am a Newly Qualified Teacher interested in moving overseas. I will give as much detail as i can for those wishing to help. I understand this is the ESL cafe but i also know it is for teachers of all subjects, i look forward to hearing your experiences and expertise.

I am a Science teacher for secondary and looking to start out as an expat in either the United Arab Emirates or Kuwait.

Does anyone here have experience with any good job posting boards or recruiters that could help me with this? (website names would be appreciated)

I have browsed through quite a few but since i am a complete noobie to this it would be great to hear any pro tips you may have or mistakes that you learnt from.

Thank you in advance
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New International Teacher Questions Reply with quote

jdgoliath wrote:
I understand this is the ESL cafe but i also know it is for teachers of all subjects, i look forward to hearing your experiences and expertise.

I am a Science teacher for secondary and looking to start out as an expat in either the United Arab Emirates or Kuwait.

Does anyone here have experience with any good job posting boards or recruiters that could help me with this?

The Café's focus is TESOL. However, a good website for subject teachers is International Schools Review, which includes a discussion forum.

A few major agencies specific to k-12/international schools in the Gulf are Teach Away, Seek Teachers, and Footprints Recruiting.
jdgoliath

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New International Teacher Questions Reply with quote

[/quote]
The Café's focus is TESOL. However, a good website for subject teachers is International Schools Review, which includes a discussion forum.

A few major agencies specific to k-12/international schools in the Gulf are Teach Away, Seek Teachers, and Footprints Recruiting.[/quote]

Thank you this is a great help
RedLightning

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jdgoliath,

I would advise applying directly, which would entail running through a list of the international/private schools in the areas you're interested in, then checking the vacancies. If you do not find many openings, check again in January and March.

*The better paying schools usually require applicants to have completed at least two years teaching experience in their home country. However, this rule may not apply to you given that your field is more in demand.
jdgoliath

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedLightning wrote:
Hey jdgoliath,

I would advise applying directly, which would entail running through a list of the international/private schools in the areas you're interested in, then checking the vacancies. If you do not find many openings, check again in January and March.

*The better paying schools usually require applicants to have completed at least two years teaching experience in their home country. However, this rule may not apply to you given that your field is more in demand.

Thats good advice, im going to have my hands full since the UAE is gigantic. Is it advisable to have done some EASL courses beforehand? again i am very new to the concept and situation.

I am also interested in whether money you earn out there has to be put into a UAE bank account?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdgoliath wrote:
im going to have my hands full since the UAE is gigantic. Is it advisable to have done some EASL courses beforehand? again i am very new to the concept and situation.

Hone up on your geography; the UAE is a small country.

As for a TESOL cert, it depends on who the students are. For example, it isn't needed for teaching science to the many native English-speaking children attending western-curriculum private schools in the UAE. However, a contract with the government likely requires a TESOL cert to teach science to Emirati kids in public schools.

Plus, as mentioned, employers in the GCC expect to see a couple of years of teaching experience in your subject gained in your home country, although there may be some schools that will take a newly licensed/qualified teacher. (See More UK teachers opt to take their talents abroad and Big need for foreign teachers at UAE schools.) You'll have to check out job ads to see what you qualify for. (Keep in mind that parents are paying out major money for their children's education.)

Again, head to International Schools Review to get advice from other subject teachers in your target countries.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you are an NQT, do you just mean you recently qualified, or do you mean NQT as in the specific status in England and Wales?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: