Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short term/summer job for experienced teacher
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Short term/summer job for experienced teacher Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm just looking for a little advice. I've been teaching for around 9 years now and left full-time teaching about 18 months ago to focus on improving my second language and to travel. I now do some online classes and one-to-ones. However, it doesn't pay that well and so it would be great to find some sort of short term or summer gig that would pay a decent amount and allow me to put some money into savings. I did a pre-sessional course in the UK this year and it was OK, but the money really wasn't great. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

Nationality: British

Academic background/qualifications:

BA
Master's
CELTA
DELTA

Languages:

English (native)
Spanish (C2 level/fluent)
French (C1 level)

Teaching experience:

EFL (inc Business English, IELTS and Cambridge exams) in various European countries - 7 years
EAP in a British university - 18 months
Online and one-to-one private classes - 1 year

Ideally, I would be able to find a position with free rent/living expenses and teaching adults or older teens (I do have experience with teaching kids but it's not my favourite thing in the world). I recently learned about the Russian 'governess' system but from what I understand, this usually requires a longer term commitment. I am pretty flexible regarding location. Any ideas appreciated!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Council sometimes posts ads for short-term/summer gigs.
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Short term/summer job for experienced teacher Reply with quote

RoisinDubh wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm just looking for a little advice. I've been teaching for around 9 years now and left full-time teaching about 18 months ago to focus on improving my second language and to travel. I now do some online classes and one-to-ones. However, it doesn't pay that well and so it would be great to find some sort of short term or summer gig that would pay a decent amount and allow me to put some money into savings. I did a pre-sessional course in the UK this year and it was OK, but the money really wasn't great. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

BA
Master's
CELTA
DELTA

Languages:

English (native)
French (C1 level)

Teaching experience:

EFL (inc Business English, IELTS and Cambridge exams) in various European countries - 7 years

Ideally, I would be able to find a position with free rent/living expenses and teaching adults or older teens (I do have experience with teaching kids but it's not my favourite thing in the world). I recently learned about the Russian 'governess' system but from what I understand, this usually requires a longer term commitment. I am pretty flexible regarding location. Any ideas appreciated!

I did the BC Hong Kong summer school for a month last year and left with six grand (with IELTS work) They pay flights but you have to get your own accommodation. University halls cost around 8,000 HK dollars. Pm me if you want a contact name.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you'd find something that fits your 'pays a decent amount' criteria on the European continent. As you probably know, summer work is sketchy most places, and it usually goes to teachers already living locally first.

Asia's probably a better bet, as per the above post.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, unrealistic to think you'd be getting free accommodation.
Pre-sessionals at decent universities pay among the best wages for any English language teaching in the U.K., 40 odd quid an hour in London. But the pre-sessionals run at certain universities by private companies/cowboy outfits like INTO probably pay less than half that. Either you need to find the right university for a summer pre-sessional or if you have, you must have very expensive tastes.

Last edited by Londonlover on Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Londonlover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Short term/summer job for experienced teacher Reply with quote

RoisinDubh wrote:

I did the BC Hong Kong summer school for a month last year and left with six grand (with IELTS work) They pay flights but you have to get your own accommodation. University halls cost around 8,000 HK dollars. Pm me if you want a contact name.

Isn't the B.C. summer school in Hong Kong only teaching kids/youngsters?
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Short term/summer job for experienced teacher Reply with quote

Londonlover wrote:
RoisinDubh wrote:

Isn't the B.C. summer school in Hong Kong only teaching kids/youngsters?

Kids and adults when I did it.
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I doubt you'd find something that fits your 'pays a decent amount' criteria on the European continent. As you probably know, summer work is sketchy most places, and it usually goes to teachers already living locally first.

Asia's probably a better bet, as per the above post.

Asia is fine. I'm pretty flexible about location. The only thing is that it wouldn't make sense to pay a fortune for flights to get there and back, so anywhere with super expensive airfare is out.
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Short term/summer job for experienced teacher Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
RoisinDubh wrote:
Hi everyone,

BA
Master's
CELTA
DELTA

Languages:

English (native)
French (C1 level)

Teaching experience:

Sounds great, PM sent Smile
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londonlover wrote:
Also, unrealistic to think you'd be getting free accommodation.
Pre-sessionals at decent universities pay among the best wages for any English language teaching in the U.K., 40 odd quid an hour in London. But the pre-sessionals run at certain universities by private companies/cowboy outfits like INTO probably pay less than half that. Either you need to find the right university for a summer pre-sessional or if you have, you must have very expensive tastes.

I don't think it's that unrealistic. Several of the pre-sessional offers I saw last year provided free accommodation (or at least, heavily subsidised), and a lot of the summer schools did. I actually worked as a course leader on the pre-sessional I did this year, so I'd probably stand a very good chance of landing a decent one this year, but I don't really want to do another pre-sessional in the UK. Mine was in the London area and it really did not pay that well at all. Nowhere near 40 quid an hour. Those that do offer 40 quid an hour don't offer accommodation, so by the time you've paid for accom and transport, you're not really making much at all.
GKD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your hunt Roisin. I am going to look for either pre-sessional or summer camp work in the Uk this summer. Could you please give me some ideas on the best places to look for those kinds of jobs, and when to look?

I am from the UK, have CELTA, BA, MA and 5 years teaching experience in Spain, with lots of Cambridge Exam prep, TOEFL and general English. I have taught mostly adults but quite a few younger learners too.

Thanks in advance, and I am sure you will find a good job for this summer.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago I was offered a place teaching on summer school in Qiqihar in the PRC. Not huge sums of money - but I would have broken even. I suppose that is not what you are looking for !
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be interested in a short-term gig in Beijing from February 13th to end June? Teaching EAP to undergrads. 25 per class. hours are 10-4.30 Mon-Thurs and 10-12.30 on Friday. Pay is 17,000 RMB pcm. Flights and visa covered but not aqccommodation except for the first few nights. Teaching load is 4.5 hours per day, 2.25 on Friday.
papuadn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Would you be interested in a short-term gig in Beijing from February 13th to end June? Teaching EAP to undergrads. 25 per class. hours are 10-4.30 Mon-Thurs and 10-12.30 on Friday. Pay is 17,000 RMB pcm. Flights and visa covered but not aqccommodation except for the first few nights. Teaching load is 4.5 hours per day, 2.25 on Friday.

Laughing
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GKD wrote:
Good luck with your hunt Roisin. I am going to look for either pre-sessional or summer camp work in the Uk this summer. Could you please give me some ideas on the best places to look for those kinds of jobs, and when to look?

I am from the UK, have CELTA, BA, MA and 5 years teaching experience in Spain, with lots of Cambridge Exam prep, TOEFL and general English. I have taught mostly adults but quite a few younger learners too.

Thanks in advance, and I am sure you will find a good job for this summer.

The best place for pre-sessionals is the BALEAP website and the application period gets earlier and earlier each year. I would start looking as early as February. They are also getting more and more demanding regarding who they hire, which reflects the tough EAP/EFL market in the UK right now.

I don't know too much about summer camps, but I think they are easier to get onto and a lot of them offer free accommodation too. You should find it easy to get something good with your YL experience. Try TEFL.com a few months before the summer season starts and you should find something there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: