Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Professionals: the one thing you wish you knew?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bograt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: TEFL Professionals: the one thing you wish you knew? Reply with quote

MsHoffman wrote:
Greetings TEFL Professionals,

I'm about to start applying to my first TEFL position, and I have a question for you all:

What's the one thing you wish you knew before your first overseas teaching job? I've been teaching English to adult learners for 11 years in the U.S. but I know that doesn't prepare me for living overseas. So what do you wish you knew prior to your departure?

I realize this could be a country-specific question but I haven't settled on which country I'm focusing on quite yet. So I suppose it's more of a general "knowledge and attitude for working abroad" kind of thing.

Thanks for reading,
MsHoffman

Looking back I don't think I would change anything. I was a lot more clueless and naive back then and probably a worse teacher, but in many ways a much nicer person. You can't have one without the other.
Sudz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had discovered the enjoyment of studying a second language earlier - spent 8 years in HCMC, and learned only a minimal amount of Vietnamese.

Also, I wish I had known earlier that upgrading my qualifications while continuing to teach overseas wouldn't be as difficult as I had imagined.

Oh, and I wish I had been a little more assertive with regards to improving the quality of my teaching earlier on (in my 20s). I pretty much got to a certain level, then more or less coasted. Now that I am teaching an intensive IELTS course to students wishing to study overseas, I feel I still have much to learn.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non, je ne regrette rien.

Having gone through what I have, has made me the person I am. Also knowing very little at the start makes for an interesting experience throughout. Obviously there's an argument for getting good qualifications and starting out in a decent international school, but there's also an argument for starting out in some backwater in SE Asia and honing your chops on the job. I think it depends on whether you view life as a competition, a marathon, a series of sprints, an experience or something else.

YMMV.
SammytheSlug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back to the beginning, I wish I'd known to just relax and enjoy it all. Too many new teachers spend too much time stressed out. It's a fun job, enjoy it.

I'm much better in that regard now.

Also, don't listen too much to people who are unhappy with how their lives have turned out. I'm a decade in now and still very much enjoying my tefl.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had a lot of great suggestions already. I will chime in with a couple of boring ones!

I wish I had gotten my CELTA before I started my first job and I wish I had held out for something a bit more respectable after I did eventually get it!
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammytheSlug wrote:
Looking back to the beginning, I wish I'd known to just relax and enjoy it all. Too many new teachers spend too much time stressed out. It's a fun job, enjoy it.

I'm much better in that regard now.

Also, don't listen too much to people who are unhappy with how their lives have turned out. I'm a decade in now and still very much enjoying my tefl.

This!

Looking back, in my first year or two I was constantly stressing over all sorts of little issues. I still take it as serious and prepare the same as I did, but I've since learned to relax more and enjoy it and have become a much better teacher because of this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: