Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FBI check and the Emirates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: FBI check and the Emirates Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions. Are you required to do the FBI background check that takes about 7 weeks if you're going to work in the Emirates? And would they deny you a visa if you have a 15 year old DUI/DWI i.e. drinking and driving charge? In some countries, you can readily get a visa. I am currently working in Turkey and thinking of living and looking at my options.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your questions, OP, but I wanted to let you know that the FBI check will likely take closer to 12 weeks, and maybe more. Definitely pay the money to expedite it so you can have it in too.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
I can't answer your questions, OP, but I wanted to let you know that the FBI check will likely take closer to 12 weeks, and maybe more. Definitely pay the money to expedite it so you can have it in too.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll apply for a background check in January. I believe they're valid for 6 months. Do you know any recruiters in the Emirates? Maybe I could ask them about the other point I brought up?
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRambo wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll apply for a background check in January. I believe they're valid for 6 months. Do you know any recruiters in the Emirates? Maybe I could ask them about the other point I brought up?

I've never had to have a background check done by the FBI to work in any Gulf Country. Did your recruiter ask for it? The UAE does their own check. In Saudi I just had to have a police statement saying I that I had no convictions. I suppose you could go to another state and get one.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
JohnRambo wrote:

I've never had to have a background check done by the FBI to work in any Gulf Country. Did your recruiter ask for it? The UAE does their own check. In Saudi I just had to have a police statement saying I that I had no convictions. I suppose you could go to another state and get one.

I do know what Saudi Arabia allows, in some cases, for a background check from a different state. South Korea doesn't accept that. I don't know about the UAE. How does the UAE do its own check? I would be willing to work in the UAE. I have good qualifications, and things are not stable in Turkey. I will do more research. I don't have a recruiter. Do you know any recruiters who could place someone seeking to work at a uni?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The universities don't use recruiters. Go to their websites and check if they have any openings. They all require a related MA + a few years of direct experience.

Be aware that the foundations programs are being phased out in the country in the next couple years, so you may only be able to stay for one contract.

I've never heard of any university employer requiring any FBI or police checks. As was said, the UAE does their own security check and we only find out whether we have passed or not... not anything about how it is done or what is done.

VS
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The universities don't use recruiters. Go to their websites and check if they have any openings. They all require a related MA + a few years of direct experience.

Be aware that the foundations programs are being phased out in the country in the next couple years, so you may only be able to stay for one contract.

I've never heard of any university employer requiring any FBI or police checks. As was said, the UAE does their own security check and we only find out whether we have passed or not... not anything about how it is done or what is done.

VS

Hello, Veiled. Would you kindly recommend any universities? I do have 4+ years of university teaching experience, an M.A., and I speak English, French, and Arabic and decent Turkish. I am an American (and technically a Canadian by birth). One year might be enough for me. So the universities are not hiring much in terms of English teachers? So what's my best bet? One of my friends is working at some school and said he's making roughly 5K US. I am looking at all my options in advance. I am glad I know more information thanks to you all.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internets can give you a list of all the tertiary institutions and are likely even linked to their websites. Cool Most of them give three year contracts... though either side can break it following contractual procedures.

The ones that you can find posts on here are:

The American University of Sharjah
UAE University (in Al Ain)
Khalifa University
Zayed University
Higher Colleges of Technology

There are other private colleges that aren't that well known here, like The American University in Dubai.

Right now the supply greatly exceeds demand. So, no way near the numbers of EFL teachers are being hired... and salary/benefit packages have deteriorated. All you can do is apply for any posted openings and see what happens. Realistically I'd say not to get your hopes up... but you lose nothing but time by applying.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: