Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nazarbayev University
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Nazarbayev University Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about this place in regards to their EAP Teaching Fellow Posts?

Nazarbayev University

What's the teaching load? Salary? Is it a decent job?

WI
CKM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bumping this in the hope that someone might have some recent/up to date information on this.

Thanks
CKM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone applied for the position mentioned above or a similar position recently?

I applied in early November but have heard nothing. They do say they only contact shortlisted candidates - fair enough - but I had a query prior to my application and emailed twice (as directed in the ad) and heard nothing either.

Any experiences of their recruitment process?
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: NIS - What Degree? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if they hire teachers that do not hold a Masters Degree?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazoo1000 wrote:
Does anyone know if they hire teachers that do not hold a Masters Degree?

The answer hasn't changed from when you asked this question a couple of years ago. Wink

Per a 2016 ad for EAP teachers (see link above), Nazarbayev University's foundation year program requires the following:

Quote:
Essential Qualifications
    • Master's degree in an appropriate subject area (e.g., ESL/EAP, Applied linguistics, etc.)
    • Competent to teach a range of topics within your subject area and general topics in related fields
    • Evidence of a strong work ethic and professionalism
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point, I did ask before but conditions can change over time. I was hoping that NIS would develop some kind of secondary school, what we call Junior College in the US.

P.S. where did you get the cartoon for your avatar? It reminds me of a cartoon from long ago.

Gazoo

Last edited by Gazoo1000 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
kazpat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazoo1000 wrote:
Fair point, I did ask before but conditions can change over time. I was hoping that NIS would develop some kind of secondary school, what we call Junior College in the US.

P.S. where did you get the cartoon for your avatar? It rinds me of a cartoon from long ago.

Gazoo

"NIS" is a secondary school, grades 7-12. Licensed teachers with fewer ESL positions each year, however, actively looking for science and ICT teachers.

"NU" is the university referenced above. NUFYP is the foundation program of the university. The Graduate School of Education, "GSE" hires Academic English instructors, all with graduate degrees as far as I know.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKM wrote:
Has anyone applied for the position mentioned above or a similar position recently?

I applied in early November but have heard nothing. They do say they only contact shortlisted candidates - fair enough - but I had a query prior to my application and emailed twice (as directed in the ad) and heard nothing either.

Any experiences of their recruitment process?

I applied in early October. I was sent an invitation to interview in the Kazakh embassy in Washington, DC in early November. Since I was not in the US, I requested a Skype interview. I believe that they had a three-day interview schedule to manage. I was told that I would receive news as to the results of the interview by the end of November.

The interview team was very helpful and pleasant. They suggested that there might be some January starts and some August positions.

I don't know what the salary range would be, but colleagues have assured me that one can save quite a bit in Astana. Furnished housing is provided. The campus sounds like a self-contained ecosphere. One doesn't have to venture out into the frozen steppes too often. The students are said to be quite academically astute.

I've read that Astana is called the "Dubai of the Steppes". It sounds like a place that is full of energy and stumbling through its own growth spurts.
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying Kazpat.

So only English centers for us non Master Degree holders.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazoo1000 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying Kazpat.

So only English centers for us non Master Degree holders.

Yes, candidates who were interviewed early in November were told that they would receive feedback in the last weeks of November. There were quite a few and I would suspect that all had a Master and there were some who their PhD. We are down to the wire. It's November 30th, so I would expect the verdict some time today.
kazpat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar, it is a three day weekend with all public employees off tomorrow and most educational institutions having some sort of celebrations today. So, I wouldn't worry if you don't hear back today.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Hear back Reply with quote

kazpat wrote:
Gulezar, it is a three day weekend with all public employees off tomorrow and most educational institutions having some sort of celebrations today. So, I wouldn't worry if you don't hear back today.

Since I am juggling many issues in my present situation, I sent an inquiry two days ago, and I was told that we would get news by the end of November, but fair enough. There are many decisions to be made and papers to be signed off, and holidays do tend to creep up.
coffeespoonman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you got an interview... Somehow I didn't, despite a CV that should tick all the boxes and more, and several years in management at an institution that, at least in some ways, might be considered comparable.

I applied in early/mid September, and when one of my friends there followed up, they apparently recognized my name but said that they had already shortlisted when they got my application. They encouraged me to apply again for the next round, but I'm left wondering if it was an HR error, or if there's something wrong with my CV or cover letter that I need to remedy...

Oh well, at least I get to winter somewhere warm...
groovebliss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was offered a job with NU October 2017. It seemed like a dream come true with the generous salary and benefits. However, I ended up withdrawing my application due to several red flags, two of which were deal breakers. The first deal breaker was that they insisted I come ASAP on a tourist visa that they would then convert to a work visa. The Kazakhstan embassy told me this was illegal and that waiting for a work visa would not take much longer. The second one was that the salary calculation in the employment contract, due to an asterisk notation, was half of what was in the job offer. When I asked them to change it, they refused, telling me I'd definitely get what was promised in the job offer.
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. I saw them advertise on jobs.ac.uk a few days ago. Seems like something interesting but I suppose they can't (or won't) operate above board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: