Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Potential move to Thailand in January 2018

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soley13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Potential move to Thailand in January 2018 Reply with quote

Hi people!

I'm a 32 year old Mental Health Professional working in the UK (I'm British btw) looking to make a move; a little about my background:

BA in Sociology and Psychology
MSc in Psychology

I have taken a 120 Hour TEFL Course

I'm due to start CELTA course mid March.

I have some teaching experience in IT and Mental Health Education (however I have no formal teaching qualifications)

What are my prospects to pick up a decent English Teaching job in Bangkok?

Your advice would Be much appreciated

I have three motivating factors for moving:

1- I have fallen for a girl currently studying her MA at university in my city.

Shes Thai and from a middle class family back in her home country. She has too return in 2018 and I'm tempted to join her and start a new life

2- I'm currently earning between £22,000-£25,000 here in the UK. To make any progression I need to go back to University. I'm looking at paying £6,000-£9000 for course fees and having to work whilst I study which will be quite demanding. Completing this course doesn't even necessarily guarantee me any progression but a chance to join the race for slightly better jobs.

3- I've been thinking of leaving the UK for a while now and fancied teaching and exploring for a few years. I have decent capital behind me to cover my expenses for at least two years

I thought teaching English would be a way out and give me time to reflect on things.

I could happily survive on 30,000 Baht, I'd pay my rent upfront for the year or live with my Thai girl friend as she has her own condominium.

Im I being foolish?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thai school year ends at the end of February. Not many jobs on offer in January. You might find some hourly work to tide you over but not likely to find anything that comes with a visa and work permit.

The new school year starts in May so the highest number of waiting jobs will be at the end of April (right after Songkran).

Earning 22k quid now? That will change to about 7000 per year (with no benefits) when you become an English teacher in Thailand.

Are you being foolish... yes, you and every other dreamer chasing a skirt 1/2 way around the planet. Hope it works for you. It does for some and not so well for others. Wishing you good luck on the relationship and your travel. Don't burn any bridges behind you.

sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Suphanburi implies, this is a fairly common scenario. So, there's nothing really stopping you from pursuing this path.

Quote:
What are my prospects to pick up a decent English Teaching job in Bangkok?

A glance at the number one Thailand teaching jobs website reveals that there are still plenty positions to choose from. With your background, you should look for an international program in a uni.

Quote:

I have three motivating factors for moving:

1- I have fallen for a girl currently studying her MA at university in my city.

Shes Thai and from a middle class family back in her home country. She has too return in 2018 and I'm tempted to join her and start a new life

I would just mention here that people often find things are quite different once the relationship moves into the family context and from your country to hers. As a psychologist, you probably understand this intellectually, but many find the reality of it suffocating. Basically, you're going to move from being a casual bf to fiance and there will be a lot of expectations.

Quote:
3- I've been thinking of leaving the UK for a while now and fancied teaching and exploring for a few years. I have decent capital behind me to cover my expenses for at least two years

I thought teaching English would be a way out and give me time to reflect on things.

If you don't need work at first, that's great. Network and research, take your time and be choosy. With Thailand as a base, you can travel around the rest of Asia quite easily.

Quote:

I could happily survive on 30,000 Baht, I'd pay my rent upfront for the year or live with my Thai girl friend as she has her own condominium.

Im I being foolish?

Well, if you start throwing money around needlessly, yes, you'd be foolish. Just pay rent monthly so you are always free to move, bail out, hit the road, get out of town, etc.

See how things work out first, then after a year or two start maybe putting down roots. Go slow, be cautious.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a holiday first and meet the potential in-laws?

There could even be a grandma who needs a new extension to her house waiting for you.

Sorry for being cynical.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it sounds like a good plan.. You have been thinking about moving out of the UK for some time, anyway. The Thai girlfriend sounds like a nice motivation. Getting the CELTA is a sound move.

It might take you some time to get settled and established but I think you will probably enjoy yourself.
Soley13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I know some part of me is being quite reckless, however the UK is on a steady decline and many public sector services are being hit with 20% cuts annually. Other than London this country is dying a slow death.

This is why I considered a move alongside relationship changes in my life. I do sometimes wonder what financial expectations wil be made of me but from what I can figure out his girl relatively speaking is in the same boat as me. Middle class with own apartment and car and average salary living in Bangkok and educated to MA level.

Ive always fancied a move and like I say without significant investment in my education here in the Uk I'll never go past the £25000.

I've always fancied teaching as a career so I thought I needed to get out my comfort zone and live a little.

Otherwise I fear I'll end up like one of those miserable middle age men in their 40s in an unhappy relationship but can't escape as got married and have a mortgage together!

I wanted to gauge the market and employment Oppurtunities and what people's experiences have been, especially those working and living in Thailand
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soley13 wrote:
Okay I know some part of me is being quite reckless, however the UK is on a steady decline and many public sector services are being hit with 20% cuts annually. Other than London this country is dying a slow death.

This is why I considered a move alongside relationship changes in my life. I do sometimes wonder what financial expectations wil be made of me but from what I can figure out his girl relatively speaking is in the same boat as me. Middle class with own apartment and car and average salary living in Bangkok and educated to MA level.

Ive always fancied a move and like I say without significant investment in my education here in the Uk I'll never go past the £25000.

I've always fancied teaching as a career so I thought I needed to get out my comfort zone and live a little.

Otherwise I fear I'll end up like one of those miserable middle age men in their 40s in an unhappy relationship but can't escape as got married and have a mortgage together!

I wanted to gauge the market and employment Oppurtunities and what people's experiences have been, especially those working and living in Thailand

If you are here in April the chances of a 30k baht / month job (that will start in mid May with the new school year) as an English teacher are pretty much assured.

Bring your original Bachelor degree, transcripts, police check (ACRO is requested by the education/immigration office office - https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_Apply_By_Post.aspx ) and a fresh passport (getting one renewed here is a major pain in the azz).

As bad as you think ol' Blighty is... come and stay/play for a while but don't burn any bridges behind you. Life here can be OK but the grass is not always greener. This is NOT like home. After the honeymoon phase of your stay is over the real culture shock will set in.

sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, I don't think anyone is saying, don't try it. It's a great idea. You should do it if everything feels right.

The main point is that we've all met guys who go overboard and sell this and that, ship all their worldly possessions over, buy this and that and have somewhat unrealistic expectations about the relationship and about Thailand.

So, sure take a chance but do it in smart way.

As suphanburi says,
Quote:
As bad as you think ol' Blighty is... come and stay/play for a while but don't burn any bridges behind you. Life here can be OK but the grass is not always greener. This is NOT like home. After the honeymoon phase of your stay is over the real culture shock will set in.

Quote:

Again, there are PLENTY of openings. Just search for "thailand teaching jobs" and you will find loads of ads. Getting work is about the least of your worries, especially if you don't need immediate employment. Many teachers have left Thailand in the last number of years for various reasons.

Anyway, just visit first and have a look. Then go from there.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need to go to Thailand?

If she has an MA can't she get work in Hong Kong, Shanghai or Singapore? Better salaries and none of the family drama.

When people say your Asian partner will transform once they get back home, they are quite right. The pressure on a Thai-Chinese to conform to confucianist and filial norms is quite high.

I'd look elsewhere...and bring her along. Keep your independence.
Soley13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to go back with her for a minimum of 12-15 months because she has committed/promised to implement a project at her workplace when she completes her MA in the UK.

After that she's quitting her job and we could consider anything.

My previous partner of 4 years was Chinese so I understand some of the pressures, however I'm not sure how different things are in Thai culture as a comparison to Chinese?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

I would say Thai culture is more welcoming than Chinese culture...and you would feel more at home here. Enjoy the "Land Of Smiles" and Good luck!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get jobs fairly quickly in Thailand thru employment agencies. You may need to get a TEFL certificate or its equivalent CELTA.
topshop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Stay in London Reply with quote

Please keep your job in the UK and try to get a promotion and study for something better. Do not come to Thailand except for a two week holiday. You will lose any or all money you have and after six months will regret the move intensely. You will never have any rights in Thailand and the things you take for granted in the UK like medical care etc, will cost a lot here. Apart from all the above Thailand will not grant permanent residence to foreigners so you will be doing visa runs or mickey mouse work permits. Do not say you were not warned.

Happy New Year
Soley13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between people's responses is staggering

I assume it's just part of the human condition, some people's experiences have been good others not so good.

I have two friends currently in Hong Kong and Korea teaching English for over two years now, one boy one girl. Both have given positive feedback on their experiences and it appears they are enjoying themselves.

Is a lot of the negative feedback here specific to Thailand, or to generally moving abroad to teach English? Or generally to changing life and giving up what I have in my home country to move to a developing nation?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soley13 wrote:
Is a lot of the negative feedback here specific to Thailand, or to generally moving abroad to teach English? Or generally to changing life and giving up what I have in my home country to move to a developing nation?

It is mostly specific to Thailand although some is related to burning your bridges and chasing a skirt 1/2 way around the planet to get dumped into a dictatorship in a culture you know little about doing a job you know even less about for wages that will allow you to slowly burn up your assets and leave you as a poorigner a long way from home.

While there are exceptions to the rule.... the odds are stacked against you.
5 minutes on youtube or looking at the Bangkok post or Bangkok Nation newspapers would probably answer that question for you.

http://www.thaivisa.com/
http://www.bangkokpost.com/
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=married+to+a+thai
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=homeless+westerners+in+thailand+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: