Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

appalled at the British Council
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Brown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: appalled at the British Council Reply with quote

Is it supposed to be the creme de la creme of the tefl "industry"?

I went for an interview (Budapest HQ, guy called MOD EDIT and it was like an nkvd interrogation in the 1930s Soviet Union.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it supposed to be the creme de la creme of the tefl "industry"?
Who says that?!

Anyway, they are locally run and some are great, some good, a few awful. Just like any other franchise Wink
Colombo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hardly consider the British Council as la creme de la creme of the TEFL industry. They consider themselves to be though. An organisation straight from.the Cold War, they seem out of place in the second decade of the 21st century. It's a cult & I can't understand the 'brand association' attached to them. I met some of their 'people' years ago in Libya & later in Malaysia & all I can say is they seemed to fit into a certain mould; no real qualifications apart from maybe a BA and the CELTA to which BC is a stakeholder in & complete allegiance to the brand. Many of them I met didn't even know what the English infinitive was & one English lady BC devotee even argued with me when I said the past continuous is often used in the present if we want to be very polite.e.g ' I was wondering if'.....or ' I was hoping to' or 'I was looking for....'

No definitely not la creme de la creme of TEFL & certainly do not deserve to be placed at the apex of the TEFL pyramid.
James Brown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good to know, thanks.
bograt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add something from someone who actually knows what they're talking about (I worked for the BC in 6 different countries over 20 years)

1) They're not a francise
2) They are centrally run (too centrally in a lot of people's opinions)
3) They accept all TEFL certificates with practical components not just CELTA
4) They accept all nationalities (where the local conditions allow)
5) In most countries they offer the best working conditions for TEFL jobs, outside universities and are therefore considered the creme de la creme in this area.
6) They are not a cult (obviously)
7) Most teachers who work for them have very little allegiance to the brand and complain a lot - like all teachers.
Cool Top management obviously talk the brand up just like top managers in all companies
9) They offer better opportunities than any other organisation for diversifying into different TEFL fields.
10) People who slag them off are usually those who've never worked for them or the type of person who can't deal with authority.
11) Their interview techniques are pretty easy to find online and are standard all over the world.
Dave Rochester

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, all of that rings true. Everything's standardised, they pay well, the teachers know their stuff yet do their fair share of whinging.

I've worked for them for five years in two locations (almost three - the Berlin branch didn't follow through on their work offer) and there are differences in the size of the operations, of course, which means you get IWBs, kitchens, staffrooms and large reception areas in some offices, whereas others hardly have anything more than a couple of classrooms.

I have to say that before I started working for them I used to regard them as elitist, cult-like, all the rest. At the very least you're going to get looked after as far as salaries and conditions go. That counts for something.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stick with them, they are also big on CPD and will contribute to the cost of the DELTA and then an MA.
James Brown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry guys, I take it all back. Your amazing list is just too convincing. BC is a good company, BC is a good company, BC is a good company, ohmhmmhmmmmmm...........yes.... yes!.....I can feel it!
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well I guess if you flunked the interview it's a bit more ego soothing to believe in the negative convictions of people who have never actually worked there.

Last edited by bograt on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
James Brown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oouch! Ow, you got me there! My plan to soothe my ego has bee exposed!!!

I have to face it.... I'm............powerless......... against...........the awesomeness of ............. BC employees..... must...........not.........resist............ their.....moral and intellectual.......authority..........
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if you look at my list again you can see that it contains positive, and negative observations in equal measures plus a few points that are just basic facts. Not really cult like at all and anyway I don't work for the BC any more, so maybe time to knock your unfunny and rather childish attempt at satire on the head eh?
James Brown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry you don't like my jokes. It makes me.... very sad.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BC displays everything that is GHAST:LY about the British Establishment. "Upstairs, Downstiars" and "Downton Abbey" all in one
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BC is an anachronism and is not fit for purpose in this modern age.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, as English language learners prioritize UK or US English less and less, the BC is likely to die a natural death in the foreseeable future.

I think Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: