Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK council tenants working overseas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: UK council tenants working overseas Reply with quote

Hello

Has anyone out there while paying rent to council in the UK worked overseas for a considerable amount of time? By considerable i mean more than a few months. I have a one bedroom flat and would like to take up a teaching contract overseas - not decided on country yet. As i live in a council flat and they are in very short supply i could be forced to give it up. Subletting was a thought but its illegal and my neighbors are close enough to know.
Dr X

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, if you are absent from your flat more than 3 months, you have to notify the Council. This will prevent action being taken against you for abandoning your flat. Also, you have to take precautions in case something wrong (like fire or accidents) occur in your flat.
One option is to ask one of you family member or trusted neighbours to look after your flat from time to time.
Still you have to prove to the council that your flat is your "principle home".

I suggest you contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for help in this matter.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that for a year. My understanding is that councils now have more freedom to make their own rules about letting within the framework of the Housing Acts. As previous poster says, check with CAB.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr X wrote:
As far as I know, if you are absent from your flat more than 3 months, you have to notify the Council. This will prevent action being taken against you for abandoning your flat. Also, you have to take precautions in case something wrong (like fire or accidents) occur in your flat.
One option is to ask one of you family member or trusted neighbours to look after your flat from time to time.
Still you have to prove to the council that your flat is your "principle home".

I suggest you contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for help in this matter.

You have just cheered me up with that information. Hope your right.
Chopin16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you aren't earning enough in the UK and want to get out. Am I right? What's the big deal losing a council flat? It's just a name (council). There are many private flats to let if you every want to (and I mean who would want to really?) go back and live in mega tax, mega house prices Britain??? Just get out and stay out of the place.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certain advantages in having a tenancy from a Housing Association. Security of Tenure for a start. This applies in Scotland - not sure about south of the border.
Stuka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr X wrote:
As far as I know, if you are absent from your flat more than 3 months, you have to notify the Council.

How would the council know you're away? Just stay mom and you should be OK, right?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuka wrote:
Dr X wrote:
As far as I know, if you are absent from your flat more than 3 months, you have to notify the Council.

How would the council know you're away? Just stay mom and you should be OK, right?

Observant neighbors. Word of mouth. Cool

Hod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, those pesky neighbours always dropping by to say hello, asking where you've been and all that.

I normally say do everything by the book as it works out easier in the end, but on this occasion I say don't worry. The only steps I'd take are to set some timer switches to turn lights on/off. The post office also has a "keep safe" service to hold back delivering mail for a specified time.
Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
Oh yes, those pesky neighbours always dropping by to say hello, asking where you've been and all that.

I normally say do everything by the book as it works out easier in the end, but on this occasion I say don't worry. The only steps I'd take are to set some timer switches to turn lights on/off. The post office also has a "keep safe" service to hold back delivering mail for a specified time.

Sensible advice.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I own a house in UK and do all these things to reduce the risk of burglary when away. My place in Malaysia, though, needs no such measures as theft is so rare there. 😇
Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
Thanks.

I own a house in UK and do all these things to reduce the risk of burglary when away. My place in Malaysia, though, needs no such measures as theft is so rare there. 😇

Amazing that a British national that is not a part of the rich establishment is able to actually own a home in the UK now. Certainly for most Teflers the idea of owning their own home is the stuff of fantasy. Why not just sell up and move permanently to Malaysia? You'd be far happier there and wouldn't need to worry about burglars. As far as I'm concerned, it's a no-brainer.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious, albeit nosey, to know how much UK council rents are now. Private rents in the UK are staggering, and it's way cheaper to bite the bullet and apply for a mortgage. People say you're then tied down**, but you'll be debt free within fifteen years, and no one is more tied down than a permanent tenant. Ad infinitum renting anywhere in the world is a guaranteed path to a pension of poverty.

As for Malaysia, the burglars to be don't fancy those pointy 8-foot fences and guard dogs at houses with anything worth stealing. Far easier to concentrate their efforts elsewhere. Ignoring Malaysia's pros and cons for a second, though, the only job I could easily do there would be TEFLing. Why do you think I live on Easy Street, UK?

** I can still live and work overseas you know, and plan to do so this year. But to have no base anywhere to return to is not practical and is a very poor financial state of affairs.
Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
I'd be curious, albeit nosey, to know how much UK council rents are now. Private rents in the UK are staggering, and it's way cheaper to bite the bullet and apply for a mortgage. People say you're then tied down**, but you'll be debt free within fifteen years, and no one is more tied down than a permanent tenant. Ad infinitum renting anywhere in the world is a guaranteed path to a pension of poverty.

Most people in the UK cannot even afford the deposit for a house let alone buy one outright. Household debt in the UK is running at over £50,000 per household. Renting is the only option for most people. If you shop around, you can get some good deals on rents, especially if you live outside of London. I like the freedom that renting gives me. I'd never consider buying a house unless I won the lotto. But then again, unlike you, I'm a single man without a family.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paying rent forever is a pension killer. You're also making someone else stinking rich.

I remember renting a place in the UK and going on holiday for a few weeks. I was therefore paying for an empty house and making the landlord even richer. What a fool. Now I'm happy to go on humongously long holidays and pay my own mortgage, the monthly payments of which are less than £500. Good luck on finding a rental place for that.

Having a house gives me way more freedom. I could even change my mortgage to a buy to let and become a greedy landlord leeching at least £800 a month from someone who wants to be remain free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: