Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medellin vs. Cali -- Opinions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Medellin vs. Cali -- Opinions... Reply with quote

How do those who have lived in Medellin and Cali compare the two towns? Pluses and minuses.

To begin with, is it easier to get an ESL gig in Cali or Medellin --

1. As a native speaker of English,

2. A US citizen,

3. With a BA from a US university, and,

4 With a certificate in TEFL/TESOL, but no previous experience.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking Cali.. Finding work is not as easy as you might expect. Even bottom level language schools often have 6-7 applicants when a job comes up. The money on offer is poor. A mid tier colegio offered me 2 mil pesos a month.

Great party town, though. If you get settled then I am sure that you could make your way up the ladder in time. I think Medellin offers a better standard of living and more opportunities for getting corporate classes and higher wages..
leretif9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. I myself am not into partying.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
Thanks for this. I myself am not into partying.

Cali probably isn't for you then.
leretif9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one and only appeal of the place is predicated on being a fiendish drunk? There isn't more to the place than that?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Cali is known as the salsa capital of the world and people dance all night and into the next day. They drink, of course, but partying is everything!
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Cali is known as the salsa capital of the world and people dance all night and into the next day. They drink, of course, but partying is everything!
leretif9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sorry, I misunderstood. That actually sounds quite excellent.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali is a fun place, but it was also too warm for my taste. Also, compared to other cities in Colombia, it's a bit unsafe and not the prettiest. Certainly, cities like Medellin and Manizales are better-looking.

Medellin is a bit over-saturated with foreigners, but a lot of them are old guys who wouldn't be in the teaching market. You should still find a job there pretty easily. Also the weather is near perfect, and it is undeniably a prettier city than Cali.

My only advice would be to avoid living in El Poblado. Your money as a teacher will go further if you stay in another area like Laureles-Estadio or Envigado.
leretif9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your insights here.

I will not only avoid living in Poblado -- I will avoid visiting it. I despise Poblado!
jimpellow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Medellin is a bit over-saturated with foreigners, but a lot of them are old guys who wouldn't be in the teaching market. You should still find a job there pretty easily."

After my year in Medellin, I would have to disagree with this. It has been mentioned numerous times here before how competitive it is. I saw countless ESL teachers and wannabes leave after an unsuccessful search. Of course, a few were successful. I have mentioned before how I avoided the entire unpleasantness by teaching online for a much higher salary and a lot less hours. Not to mention no commute and having to deal with a boss that expected my subservience.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
"Medellin is a bit over-saturated with foreigners, but a lot of them are old guys who wouldn't be in the teaching market. You should still find a job there pretty easily."

After my year in Medellin, I would have to disagree with this. It has been mentioned numerous times here before how competitive it is. I saw countless ESL teachers and wannabes leave after an unsuccessful search. Of course, a few were successful.

Maybe I just see things differently. I know for a fact that if I wanted a job in MedellĂ­n, I could have one by the end of this week. Then again, I know people there. Networking is everything in Colombia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: