Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lacks experience but super diy resourceful. chance in hell?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstuartlewis71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: lacks experience but super diy resourceful. chance in hell?! Reply with quote

I do NOT have much in the way of expectations with finding work in Poland with very little experience and credentials to offer. Worth a try though.

NO BACHELORS DEGREE!

ONLY AN OXFORD SEMINAR TEFL(flame away!)

I AM RESOURCEFUL AND EXPECT LITTLE IN THE WAY OF POLISH ACCOMODATIONS:

I have lived in punk rock squats, in the states, with little or no money and loved it.

I hopped trains here(US), cross country, ever hear for ten years because it was a fun and cheap way of getting around. This takes impulsiveness for sure, but ALSO takes much discipline!

I recently got back from a 3 month stint traveling around Ecuador, where I volunteered on farms, cooking most of my food outside along with showering(cold) outside as well. Also there were plenty of hostels.

I only bring this up because I wish to make the point that I am willing to sacrifice most manners of domestic convenience to work/live in Poland.

"work in Poland" means pretty much any city. I am flexible as far as locations go.

If I find work, in Poland, i am more than willing to stay in a hostel, work split shifts, not expect to get paid much at all. I am willing to and expect to work hard. Of course....

I am willing to sacrifice to work In Poland, however I dont want to get ripped off and be severely disrespected. a little disrespected sure.

I WILL ACCEPT THE REQUISITE LOW PAYING POSITION AT AN ACADEMY, SCHOOL ETC.

I WILL GLADLY ACCEPT TUTORING POSITIONS AS WELL.

I AM OPERATING WITH THE ASSUMPTION THAT IS IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND WORK IN POLAND WITHOUT A BACHELORS AND EXPERIENCE. I AM NOW EXERCISING EVERY POSSIBLE OPTIONS TO SEE IF THIS IS TRUE OR NOT.

I HAVE MOXY, LITTLE EXPERIENCE AND A DREAM( i need to spend some quality time in Europe in this life)

We'll see!

any suggestions? flame away all you world crusty, naysayers, on this board. yay sayers welcome too! come one come all!

thanks ya'll!

ps- By the time I leave the states this coming fall I will have one year of classroom experience, including an extensive 5 month practicum, a separate teaching course with certification.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Another turkey voting for Christmas.

Poland has moved on from the days when a hippie from the Peace Corps could pitch up and impress people with tales of rock n roll and living in a commune. That's was the early/mid 90s.

You'll last about 5 minutes if you're a chancer.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is extremely rare for me to agree with dragonpiwo, but this time he raises a possibly relevant point in an oblique manner; hip but near-broke 'mericans with stories to tell have thoroughly been here and done that. Don't expect locals (of either gender) to be much interested. The cache wore off more than a decade ago.
mstuartlewis71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Another turkey voting for Christmas.

Poland has moved on from the days when a hippie from the Peace Corps could pitch up and impress people with tales of rock n roll and living in a commune. That's was the early/mid 90s.

You'll last about 5 minutes if you're a chancer.

dramatic aren't we?

To be clear:

I am not trying to impress anyone.

I am not trying to charm the locals with rock n' roll stories to compensate for lack of real world experience.

I am not trying to charm the local school officials to hire me because I am a "punk rock bohemian" and I just know that I am dazzling the *beep* out of them.

I am not trying to charm someone into letting me stay at their house while not having any source of income because you know-I'm this dazzling yank that can play; a song for rent money and some great tales.

I deserve this response sure. But I basically wanted/want to know if its possible to get a job with a tefl, no bachelors and not a lot of experience.
In you twos round about ways, you have answered that question.

The punk rock shit referenced in my original post was to state that I am resourceful. PRETTY MUCH that was it.

Cool!

no regrets!

thanks fellows!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Resourceful' doesn't get anyone around the job market or legal realities.

You could possibly marry a local if you can find one who'll go for it, but even then you'd be at the bottom of the job market barrel with essentially no paper qualifications that matter.

BTW, volunteering doesn't count for a lot - not saying that it might not in fact be useful experience, but it's not supervised by professionals and therefore employers are unlikely to give it much (if any) weight.

You are simply trying to compete on a fairly competitive job market from the bottom of the barrel.

Ecuador may honestly be a far more realistic choice.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An honest question - are you happy to live on around $400USD/month, possibly with some (poor, but still) accommodation thrown in?

If you are, then you can find a job in Poland. Contact schools in smaller towns (i.e., less than 50,000 people) and tell them that you want 1500PLN/month in your hand and a room in a shared flat. Someone will take a punt on you for certain, and in a small town, there's a chance they'll agree to sponsor your work permit.

The money is terrible by Polish standards, but if your accommodation is paid for, you can get by spending 300-400PLN/month on food, leaving you *some* money to live on. It won't be a great way to live, but it's one way to get into Europe.
mstuartlewis71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
'Resourceful' doesn't get anyone around the job market or legal realities.

You could possibly marry a local if you can find one who'll go for it, but even then you'd be at the bottom of the job market barrel with essentially no paper qualifications that matter.

BTW, volunteering doesn't count for a lot - not saying that it might not in fact be useful experience, but it's not supervised by professionals and therefore employers are unlikely to give it much (if any) weight.

You are simply trying to compete on a fairly competitive job market from the bottom of the barrel.

Ecuador may honestly be a far more realistic choice.

Yeah Poland and Hungary are pretty brutal job market wise, these days and it's not even worth applying for gigs in Czech Republic any more.

Legal realities in Poland are fairly sobering it seems. Not unlike Spain!

I have friends that live in Gdansk so I want to see if visiting there is possible.
We'll see.

Thanks for the input spiral.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a job with your expectations and experience, and I'm assuming you won't be around for a great deal of time (1 year/2 years) then yes you'll find work.

But you'll have to set your sights accordingly.
1) aim for somewhere way out in the sticks where there is little chance of finding another native
2) try to find a dodgy school/dodgy school owner who'll pay you cash in hand (in doing this, a) accept you might be royally screwed and b) expect to not get paid much)

I would say it's possible (it's always possible to work somewhere in some roles for next to nowt), but actually very difficult for someone new to find both those criteria. Natives tend to be everywhere (surprisingly enough) and to find a school who will 'work' with you will require you to have some contacts on the ground.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah Poland and Hungary are pretty brutal job market wise, these days and it's not even worth applying for gigs in Czech Republic any more.

Hmm. I've been based in Prague for some years now, and in fact new teachers do still find jobs. But you do need to have a BA + a CELTA or equivalent cert, and the jobs aren't found from abroad (you need to be here to interview in person) and the market is really open only in Aug/Sept/first of Oct and again a very small bump in Jan.

Like all of Europe, there are start-up costs and limited windows.

As in Poland, if you were here already, and knocking on doors in mid-sized towns, in the right time slots, you might find something. But it would be very low pay and the legalities might well not work out.
Infinite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find work. If not for some small school then doing conversations/privates. Not so bad really.
Did you spend time at c-squat by any chance? Wink or otherworld?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: