Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emirati students and ELP requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Emirati students and ELP requirements Reply with quote

Afraa Al Basti (Dx) recommends that national exams replace IELTS, TOEFL, & SAT, as they are unfair for students who exhibit high scores in mainstream subjects but lack English skills:

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/education/we-need-emiratis-teaching-emirati-traditions-at-universities-and-colleges-fnc-hears
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Emirati students and ELP requirements Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Afraa Al Basti (Dx) recommends that national exams replace IELTS, TOEFL, & SAT, as they are unfair for students who exhibit high scores in mainstream subjects but lack English skills:

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/education/we-need-emiratis-teaching-emirati-traditions-at-universities-and-colleges-fnc-hears

Quote:
The council heard that the average salary of an instructor at the UAE University was Dh57,500 a month while a lecturer was paid Dh 28,667.

At Zayed University, the salary of an instructor was not declared, but that of an associate instructor was Dh23,000, while a lecturer earnt Dh16,000 and a professor’s salary was Dh23,031.

I wonder if the instructors are Emirati at the UAE University or was that a mistake with the number?

They are not going to have students running to sign up for those gigs at those salaries.

The MOE is investing funds to education young Arab Math teachers, but none of them are showing up in dishdshas. Some of those brilliant Emiratis who got such "high scores in their mainstream subjects" can't even hack a basic Algebra course, and these are the ones who obtained a 5.5 or 6 IELTS. So let the government promote their own internal standards for English. We see how effective they have been at teaching basic Math skills.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Mmmmmmm Reply with quote

If the ADNOC grammar syllabus and competencies are anything to go by........
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as for these students I can say one thing for sure, they are more geared to an oral tradition as mentioned in an earlier locked thread here. I have a student in my class who recites ad lib poetry to me each time I enter the class. I think he is going for the poetry grand prize or something.

My ideologies have always been cemented in the Krashen school of thought. And now it has fully fossilized after seeing the rock star of linguistics himself in person at a KSU seminar. I believe in reading as a truly intrinsic way of learning all skills in any language. Over the years I have been able to impart my beliefs on a handful of students (Saudis) who have comeback to me and said thank you for opening up a new way of learning to them. Of course you have to put aside the syllabus and curriculum to be able to get the students to read because the stuff in there just bores them to death. Some classes I bring my kindle and show them how many books I am carrying in my pocket. I tell them that when you get too bored with one book to start on another then another and another and eventually you will get around to finding the kind of books you like to read.

Anyways, enough ranting I am sorry for the inconvenience Smile

Grendal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: