Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does a MA/Professional Exp affect EDL opportunities?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yzw200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: How does a MA/Professional Exp affect EDL opportunities? Reply with quote

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum and considering teaching overseas for a couple of years. I'm a native English speaker from the U.S. I have 10+ years of professional experience in the non-profit and government sectors and have written reports for government officials and a Mayor of a mid-sized American city.

I have a Master in Public Administration degree which focuses strongly on business communications/writing within the public sector. I will be completing either a TEFL or CELTA degree.

I do not have formal teaching experience, though I have tutored over the years and currently mentor high school and college students.

As I begin this search, I am trying to determine what types of jobs I may qualify for. Would my MA/TEFL and professional experience qualify me for a higher end school such as a Private or International school? Or some other business type opportunity? Or would I be looking at starting at an entry level TEFL position?

Thank you all in advance for your advice and feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Yisrael
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: How does a MA/Professional Exp affect EDL opportunities? Reply with quote

For an international school, you need to have home-country teacher licensure and experience (usually 2 years) teaching in public schools in your home country.

Your background in business communication + TEFL or CELTA would make you a good candidate for a position teaching business English. Your professional writing experience might make you a good candidate for teaching academic writing.

Your MPA won't likely count for much, since it's in a different field.

Of course, everything will depend on what part of the world you want to teach in. With a US passport, Western Europe is basically off the table. Eastern Europe, Asia, and Latin America are possibilities. Are there any specific countries or parts of the world you are interested in? What is your goal for teaching (e.g., making money?, experiencing new cultures?, learning a new language?)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: How does a MA/Professional Exp affect EDL opportunities? Reply with quote

yzw200 wrote:
I'm new to the forum and considering teaching overseas for a couple of years. I'm a native English speaker from the U.S. I have 10+ years of professional experience in the non-profit and government sectors and have written reports for government officials and a Mayor of a mid-sized American city.

I have a Master in Public Administration degree which focuses strongly on business communications/writing within the public sector. I will be completing either a TEFL or CELTA degree.

Since you're looking to head abroad for a couple of years, don't count out non-teaching international jobs with the UN and non-governmental organizations. For example, an Internet search using Master in Public Administration jobs international yields links to opportunities that capitalize on your extensive PA-related experience.

BTW, the CELTA is a branded TEFL qualification and not an academic degree. Wink
yzw200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Thanks Nomad Soul Reply with quote

Thanks Nomad Soul for the suggestion (and correction on terminology) Very Happy

I'm at a point in my life where I'm considering changing fields. I've learnt that I really enjoy training and mentoring people and want to find out if teaching may be the next step for me. Add to that the opportunity to explore another country/culture and it seems like the "right" next step.

Thanks again
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your undergrad degree in? Also, what countries/regions are NOT on your wish list?
yzw200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Thanks RTM for the quick resposne Reply with quote

Thanks RTM for the feedback. Very Happy

I'd missed your response before.

I'm looking at this as a potential transition in careers, ideally make enough money to live comfortably, while putting a bit away. I've always had a travel bug. I love to live in countries and embrace a local community's culture. I've previously lived in both Guatemala and Kenya.

So combo career+culture I guess.

Latin America would be my first choice, though from what I've seen regular TEFL pays too low for me to make it work. I'd be interested to know how that might differ with business/academic teaching. My top interest there would be Argentina/Buenos Aires

Southeast Asia would follow and then Eastern Europe. I know it's difficult but if Western Europe were doable it would be my #2 (Spain)

Do you have any advice on where to learn more business/academic teaching?

Thanks

Last edited by yzw200 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
yzw200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Thanks for the quick response Nomad Soul Reply with quote

My undergrad is a BA in Interdisciplinary Studies. Basically a Liberal Arts degree with a focus on Media, Philosophy and Latin American Studies.

I'm pretty open on countries/regions:

I'd exclude Poland, Germany (though it sounds like W. Europe would be unlikely in any case) and Mexico.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a (30 something I guess) American with an Masters in Public Administration and ten years professional experience looking to spend a couple of years abroad teaching or otherwise, I would first apply for the Peace Corps. I have known quite a few people older than recent college grads who have not passed the physical for the Peace Corps... ...but you don't know until you try. The Peace Corps will do the leg work of choosing a country for you, secure the post and visa, give your training, and look kindly on your MA. After that, you could decide whether or not you want additional academic training in TEFL in order to continue in the field.
yzw200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks MotheF Reply with quote

Thanks MotheF for the suggestion! Peace Corps is a GREAT program.
Problem is the pay ranges form only $300-$500 p/month based on placement. No problem when you're a 20 something with no other expenses, a lot different as a 30 something (you guessed right, 36) Very Happy
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks RTM for the quick resposne Reply with quote

yzw200 wrote:
Latin America would be my first choice, though from what I've seen regular TEFL pays too low for me to make it work. I'd be interested to know how that might differ with business/academic teaching. My top interest there would be Argentina/Buenos Aires

You may want to post on the Argentina forum (though it seems a bit dead) or the General Latin America forum for specifics in those areas.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Your background in business communication + TEFL or CELTA would make you a good candidate for a position teaching business English. Your professional writing experience might make you a good candidate for teaching academic writing.

You would be a prime candidate for teaching business English. In-company classes in Mexico pay quite well. (Although not so well right now for sending money home, given the low peso/high dollar ratio.) But much better than generic entry-level TEFL jobs. Also many colegios, and some universities in Latin America will value your MA, even though unrelated, and bump your salary.

Consider consulting TeachersLatinAmerica for advice about which direction, business or academic, might work best for you in the current market. (Unless, of course, one is much more appealing to you.) And as rtm suggested, post in the sub-forum for more country/region specific advice.

The last I knew, Argentina was pretty unworkable for EFL teachers, with high inflation, an unstable economy, and a difficult work visa situation to deal with.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For business English and academic writing, try the China and Vietnam forums. They're not likely strict in terms of related education. Plus, both countries tend to send quite a few of their nationals to universities in the US.

Also give HigherEdJobs and TESOL Int'l Assn a look for international university opportunities, although hiring season hasn't yet hit for the 2017-2018 academic year.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks MotheF Reply with quote

yzw200 wrote:
Thanks MotheF for the suggestion! Peace Corps is a GREAT program.
Problem is the pay ranges form only $300-$500 p/month based on placement. No problem when you're a 20 something with no other expenses, a lot different as a 30 something (you guessed right, 36) Very Happy

Higher than you will get working in Latin America!

The key is expenses, more than pay. While in the Peace Corps, you will have no expenses, that "pay" is really more re-entry funds.
Likewise in Latin America you can easily cover all your living expenses, but If you need more than 300 US dollars a month for something other than your living expenses--you probably better give up on the idea of becoming a teacher or any sort. Confused
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: How does a MA/Professional Exp affect EDL opportunities? Reply with quote

yzw200 wrote:
I'm a native English speaker from the U.S. I have 10+ years of professional experience in the non-profit and government sectors and have written reports for government officials and a Mayor of a mid-sized American city.

I have a Master in Public Administration degree which focuses strongly on business communications/writing within the public sector.

Given your MPA and gov't experience, take a look at the United Nations Development Programme. It's not ESL but there likely are opportunities that will enhance your CV and allow you to live abroad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: