Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brexit begins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr X wrote:
Hod wrote:
Until you can tell me how to describe myself, I'm white.

Which white? British? Irish? Scottish? Gypsy?
White and Black mean different things to different people.

If you are married to a foreigner, how do you describe your children? White and Black? White and Yellow?

Anthropologically speaking, the definition of ethnicity is not universal, and may change through history.

If I burgled your house, I'd have long since sold all your possessions and moved on by the time you'd described me to the police.
Dr X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
Dr X wrote:
Hod wrote:
Until you can tell me how to describe myself, I'm white.

Which white? British? Irish? Scottish? Gypsy?
White and Black mean different things to different people.

If you are married to a foreigner, how do you describe your children? White and Black? White and Yellow?

Anthropologically speaking, the definition of ethnicity is not universal, and may change through history.

If I burgled your house, I'd have long since sold all your possessions and moved on by the time you'd described me to the police.

Of course I will describe you to the police as an English gentleman burglar.
A professional burglar always hide his ethnicity by hiding his face, no way to describe him! Laughing
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, sense. Who'd burgle a TEFLer anyway?

The point is, as long as we don't set out to offend, there'll be no harm done. There are probably/hopefully no racists on this forum because most of us have lived and worked overseas, seen different cultures and maybe experienced racism ourselves.

In my native UK, I'd bet £100 that most racists haven't been east of Southend, apart from package holidays to Magaluf every year. I see such people in the same light as the glue sniffing motosai taxi riders in Thailand who hate farangs (whites). They don't know any different. But if the Thai government cracked down on such behaviour by banning the word “farang” (which isn’t derogatory as far as I know) and insisting the word “of western ancestry” were used, are you telling me this solves the problem? Of course it doesn’t.

But I left Thailand over a decade ago and don’t really care about it. The UK, though, has a great opportunity now to deal with racism properly through education and integration. Forcing people to say “of African ancestry”, etc, is pointless and has if anything hindered progress.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to spot a racist is when someone takes offense. Sure there are people who will violently attack others, though it is rare, but most racist are closeting their hate. I would add that few racists are actually White. As a white person from America, I apparently am guilty for slavery and the demise of indigenous people. Forget that my family immigrated after the civil war. I somehow did this all because...my skin is white!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demise of Native Americans was due to Measles and Smallpox. That was what decimated the native Americans. That is not to say that Europeans didn't mistreat the Native Americans, because they did. However there was much bad going on in the past. The Americans got rid of slavery in 1865, however the British only banned it 30 years earlier. There was a lot of bad things going on. Americans took the native Americans off of their homelands and gave little in return, but we did not systematically annihilate them. Americans also were not the only group that did bad things to indigenous groups, other Europeans in other places also did very bad stuff to indigenous groups as well.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr X wrote:
plumpy nut wrote:
Allow every person who wants to come in to the West inside? That can no longer be done. Racists are different from who I am and every other person who wants to limit immigration of Middle Easterners and others to the West. In Saudi Arabia I made friends with a person who was Pakistani, both of us had absolute disdain for the Saudis. He was an atheist and me an agnostic/deist. He had a mathematics degree and would have absolutely scoffed at an Islamic studies major. Some people should not be coming to the West and it has nothing to do with racism whatsoever.

Can we say that some people should not go to the Magic Kingdom, especially if they are atheists and agnostics?
And it has nothing to do with racism.

They hired us to do something that they can't do for themselves. Without us coming over they wouldn't have any oil.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brexit may not be finished, but this thread is.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Page 27 of 27

Jump to: