Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business/Academic Teaching in Latin America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yzw200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Business/Academic Teaching in Latin America Reply with quote

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum and considering teaching overseas for a couple of years. I'm a native English speaker from the U.S. I have 10+ years of professional experience in the non-profit and government sectors and have written reports for government officials and a Mayor of a mid-sized American city.

I have a Master in Public Administration degree which focuses strongly on business communications/writing within the public sector. I will be completing either a TEFL or CELTA certificate.

I do not have formal teaching experience, though I have tutored over the years and currently mentor high school and college students.

I've been advised that my experience should open up opportunities to teach English in Business and Academic environments. I was hoping for feedback from those in this forum on:

a. The accuracy of that advice
b. Potential pay rate for business/academic
c. Where to start in looking for these types of positions.

I am open to most of Latin America with the exception of Mexico (and the obvious non-starters). Argentina and Columbia would be my top two choices.

Thank you all in advance for your advice and feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Yisrael
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yzw200 wrote:
Argentina and Columbia would be my top two choices.

There are separate forums for both Argentina and Colombia (not Columbia). Definitely check out the discussion topics in each to get a sense of the TEFL market and costs of living.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yzw200 wrote:

Colombia has a lively (ish) TEFL economy; Argentina, not so much, which is reflected in the two subforums. The plummeting Colombian peso makes it difficult to survive if you have any expenses that need to be paid in USD. But finding work in Colombia is possible--definitely check out that forum since Colombia interests you.

There has been little traffic on the Argentina board since 2013 or earlier for reasons mentioned on your other thread. Nonetheless, as suggested, it will still be worth your while to read through the Argentina topics for the last 5 years or so to get a sense of working (or reasons for not working!) in that country,
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yzw200 wrote:

Colombia has a lively (ish) TEFL economy; Argentina, not so much, which is reflected in the two subforums. The plummeting Colombian peso makes it difficult to survive if you have any expenses that need to be paid in USD. But finding work in Colombia is possible--definitely check out that forum since Colombia interests you.

There has been little traffic on the Argentina board since 2013 or earlier for reasons mentioned on your other thread. Nonetheless, as suggested, it will still be worth your while to read through the Argentina topics for the last 5 years or so to get a sense of working (or reasons for not working!) in that country,
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Business/Academic Teaching in Latin America Reply with quote

yzw200 wrote:

I am open to most of Latin America with the exception of Mexico (and the obvious non-starters).

Frankly, I find that rather baffling rather than obvious.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Business/Academic Teaching in Latin America Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
yzw200 wrote:

I am open to most of Latin America with the exception of Mexico (and the obvious non-starters).

Frankly, I find that rather baffling rather than obvious.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico, Colombia, and Chile are the best bets in Latin America. Not necessarily in that order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: